VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! So, I ate vegan for about 3 months and it changed my life. I am barely into my twenties and a while ago I realized that I had a problem; though I am thin, I have high blood pressure, weird sugar, sleep issues, knee problems, etc. Eating clean fixed all that!
So whats the problem then? Well, I never actually had support; I had the opposite actually. My friends and family literally contributed to the struggle on a daily basis. They would have me pick up their pizzas and would buy my favorite doughnuts. They thought it was hilarious! Well, eventually it didn't bother me anymore because I felt GREAT! Well...that didn't last long. It's hard to live a new lifestyle ALONE.
Since then, I've down spiraled... I feel sick again...and worse yet, now, I have an eating problem...I want to eat vegan again so badly that I stress myself out...and then binge eat. It's like I'm not even in control of myself...and the worst part is, I'm alone. It feels like...I can't stop. I've made myself ill. My body (for whatever reason, I'm not sure) reacts like it's absolutely allergic to junk food; I feel like I'm killing myself and it still doesn't work as motivation. Stress drives me to binge and it's a vicious cycle because binging stresses me out too because I don't want to do it! I don't even enjoy the food! I wish I had at least one vegan friend... even my fiance is a meat and potatoes guy. I'm doomed to be alone for life in this department.
I know I sound pathetic, but I guess admitting it on here, feels like I'm admitting it to myself. I used to be the strongest person that I'd ever met. I was confident. I felt amazing. I looked amazing. Now, I legitimately have a problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When you eat healthy, yeah your body don't want junk food anymore and you might feel sick, it's like the body forget a bit how to process all the junk.

Why would you stress yourself out? Just relax and plan your meals for the week. When you know what you'll eat and when, it makes things a lot more manageable for a new vegan. You can even take the time to see if your have all the proteins, vitamins and minerals you need per day. Make sure you have good breakfasts with proteins, all of your meals should fill you up. If you are still hungry you are not eating enough or not eating food that have enough calories. That can lead to cravings. Just eat balanced meals and I swear you'll feel as filled as a meat eater, but without the heavy weight in your stomach.

For the loneliness, well we are here :) for support and tips. Most of us are the only one in their family so we live the same thing you are. Remember you don't need the approval of your family to be vegan, this is not you against them, this is for you and for the animals and compassion and your health.

Try to have your meat and potato fiance eat your meal as a side dish, that way you won't feel alone at the dinner table. There are many recipes that meat eaters also find tasty, share them with your family. Make vegan pancakes for them next weekend, meatless chili I dunno, plenty to share. There is no reason why food should stress you out sweety.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Hi lovelyday and welcome to VB! I'm sorry that you are dealing with such an unsupportive family! It's not uncommon for many of us to deal with some of the same unpleasant reactions from family and friends when we go vegan. When people don't understand something, they will often dismiss it or make fun of it. :/ It took me a very long time to get some of my family to understand what being vegan means to me and what it is really about. They eventually came around, but it takes time. I didn't have any real life vegan friends or support either, and joining forums such as this one was VERY helpful!

As far as your bingeing, there are several common reasons that people binge. One is not eating enough, and another is being too strict with diet and making too many rules. It seems to be a common problem for new vegans who go from one extreme way of eating (lots of junk food and animal products) to another (totally whole foods healthy no junk or treats at all). There is a learning curve with plant based eating, and often it means eating more volume than we were used to eating as omnivores, because plant based food tends to be less heavy (with a few exceptions such as peanut butter, avocados etc). Also, the more you deprive yourself of food that you enjoy, the more your mind will rebel and lead to a binge. Trust me from someone who restricted her intake severely for years. I went from anorexia to binge eating and all over the place. Even as a vegan I had to learn to relax with my diet and be less strict and enjoy occasional treats. It never has to be all or nothing. I don't eat a ton of processed food, but on occasion I can enjoy stuff like Daiya vegan cheese or homemade banana bread or cliff bars. Vegan isn't about self deprivation. There are TONS of awesome vegan dishes. I spent a lot of time reading vegan blogs and cookbooks and really learning to cook plant based and it really opened me up to creative ways of enjoying plant foods. For example, I learned how to make vegan alfredo sauce using blanched almonds, and tofu mayo, and chickpea flour omelets and chickpea salad sandwiches. The more variety of vegan food you include in your diet, the less likely you will be tempted back into eating animal foods. It will also help your case with your family if they see the wonderful dishes you can make as a vegan. My black bean enchiladas won my Mom over, and when my husband realized I could make a mean vegan lasagna he was on board! Chocolate vegan cake really shocked my coworkers lol. Libraries often have vegan cookbooks now, and you can buy used cookbooks very cheaply on amazon.com. There are TONS of free blogs and websites too, like Vegweb, Oh She Glows, Post Punk Kitchen, Vegan Dad, that have awesome recipes for vegans too.

It also helped me in the beginning to continually remind myself of the reasons why I went vegan. I did it purely for ethical reasons, but I also researched how to meet my nutritional needs as a vegan so I would not get sick. I wrote down some of the strong reasons I felt the need to live a vegan lifestyle, and explored many books on vegan ethics and philosophy. I was completely honest with myself and I also questioned myself sometimes when there were no clear answers. I sat down and had a talk with close family and friends on why this is so important to me. If someone doesn't want to respect that, it might be best to either cut ties with them or not spend too much time arguing with them about being vegan. Some people are very close minded and it's just not worth the effort and energy to try to convince them any different. Live your lifestyle and enjoy the benefits and don't worry about people who are so against it. They have an issue, not you.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Unsupportive families seem to be the major reason that people have had problems becoming vegan or even vegetarian. Since I have basically made my own food for about 10 years now, people in my family just shrug and do not include me in their plans.

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
YOU have to live the life that YOU want to live.

YOU have to eat what YOU want to eat.

Other people have ideas and opinions that are THEIR OWN.

STAND BY YOUR CONVICTIONS and LET THEM ADJUST TO YOU.

Yeah....it might be difficult, but do you want to live your life based on the opinions of others?

It's YOUR LIFE! Live it to the full potential in YOUR eyes.

If you do anything else, you will never be satisfied. :eek:

Reactions: LedBoots
1 - 5 of 5 Posts