VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eggs are no problem to quit. Milk is not much of a problem either since I am slightly lactose intolerant. Soy milk tastes better anyways (haha). I do feel bad consuming animal by-products, especially now that I am taking Sociology. My main problems would be protein sources; I find soy stuff expensive, and how to distinguish between food that have milk and/or egg products in them. I also do not know how to cook beans and what to put in them. I would also like to try some recipes out for homemade salad dressings and meals.

If anyone can help, it would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm not sure how nutrition labels are in Canada, but the allergen labeling requirements in the U.S. make it easy to spot milk and eggs -- it has to be highlighted in bold below the ingredients list. There are still some hidden ingredients that don't fall into those labels, but they will catch most of it with the allergen labeling. I would suggest buying a book like Supermarket Vegan or Vegan on the Cheap to get basic recipes using easy to find ingredients.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pretty much anything you need, you can find online. Like, if you want to make homemade dressing just type in google.. for example "Vegan Ranch Dressing Recipe". You can also get apps for your phone (if your phone supports that) called animal free which lists a ton of animal byproducts to steer clear of. I use it all the time when I'm out shopping. If you have more specific questions feel free to private message me. As for protein.. wow. its everywhere! Trust me, you don't need animals or fancy soy products to get it. You can get it from beans! dark greens! All kinds of things. Again, just google "Vegan protein not soy" or something. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a good idea to just eat whole foods if possible so that you don't have to worry about all the labels. I know, this is a lot easier said than done!
When it comes to protein as long as you're eating a wide variety of foods including plenty of fruits and vegetables you don't need to worry about protein because you'll get plenty. You can always use a program like Chronometer or Fitday to track your food intake in order to get a good idea of what nutrients you are or are not getting.

When I first decided to eat more whole foods myself I did things like make pita breads out of simply whole wheat bread, water, a little salt, and a bit of baking powder. I use just enough water to create a dough and roll them out before cooking them on a skillet (about 2 minutes each side over medium heat. Couldn't be easier!) I used these pitas in place of breads and tortillas for things like hummus wraps, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, avocado sandwiches, and fajitas.

To cook beans simply soak a couple cups of dried beans overnight and then rinse and simmer for 30-45 minutes in twice as much water as beans (until tender to the touch of a fork) with a little salt, a bay leaf, and your favorite dried herbs. They can be stored int eh fridge for about a week and used in soups, salads, and other fun meals
If you don't want to go through the trouble why not just buy canned beans that don't have a lot of added ingredients?

Rice and whole grain or quinoa pastas are great quick ways to put a quick meal on the table when you add things like veggies, chili beans, and spaghetti sauce (easily homemade, or canned). You can even find great recipes out there for things like vegan alfredo, vegan mac n cheese, and other goodness.

Remember that there are plant foods out there that provide all essential amino acids making them a great source of complete protein. Some popular options include goji berries, quinoa, and mac nuts.

This is a process so take it slow and do what you are comfy with. It's about the journey, not the destination!

Check out these awesome recipe sites (hope I can post these!):

theppk.com
fatfreevegan.com
vegandad.blogspot.com
veganyumyum.com

and if you're into a bit of great raw goodness there are some fun places to find easy recipes... including my own site:

rawhighlife.com
simplyrawrecipes.com
choosingraw.com

Have fun and you'll enjoy the food all that much more... which is always appreciated if you're a foodie like me :p

Hope this helps,
Rach

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh! I thought I'd mention some ideas for food on the run:

-Fruits of all kinds are so easy to store in a bag, purse, car, desk drawer, you name it. They're also a great source of energy!

-Homemade trail mix of nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, dried fruits, and even carob or cacao nibs are the perfect energy snack

-Consider wraps for the road made of fresh veggies and things like hummus, avocado, and red pepper dip. Easy meal!

-Popcorn is easy to make and can be eaten while you watch your favorite shows without any guilt

·
Registered
172 Posts
People who eat animals get so caught up on protein...let me tell you something. We are not starving for protein. There is plenty of protein in a plant based diet. If you eat a healthy plant based diet you will get all the nutrients you need, that is the beauty of nature, and without the saturated fat and cholesterol.

Thank you for going vegan

·
Registered
24 Posts
it becomes a lot easier with time. this is coming from somebody who was so concerned with that issue before going vegan (especially since i work out a lot) but like they said here, quinoa is going to be your best friend. definitely beans and nuts/seeds also, but everything that grows in the ground has at least some carbs and protein, maybe some essential fats, depending on the food. it is great, and takes your cooking options up so many notches, take it from somebody who works in a kitchen in a retirement home (old people are very "meat and potatoes" oriented).

i love being vegan, i think it is one of the best decisions i have ever made, just grab a few good cookbooks and life will be (nearly) complete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seriously, don't get hung up on Protein. There are so many sources of Protein out there that are readily available in a vegan diet that there's not need to focus on it as a worry. Be persistent and be inspired, a varied diet is key and something that will become as natural as breathing to you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I agree, protein is one of those things that will just be there! A tin of baked beans has got a fair amount of protein in it! So have most beans, like chick peas are like 8% protein.
Besides animal proteins really aren't all that good for you! The proteins are very hard to absorb and the fats that are included even on the leanest of meats, means you run the risk or arterial sclerosis, diabetes or a bunch of other crazy problems!

If you know anyone who is a mad body builder for instance there is this new craze starting off here in the UK regarding hemp protein, our local health food shops are selling loads of the stuff! Has anyone else noticed this around the world?
Obviously hemp is a plant(which is a good thing), the absorption from hemp is much greater than from whey. And a single hemp seed is around about 30% protein!!!

As for telling whether something includes egg or milk or something, as mentioned by the others, there should be allergy advice, then all you need to look out for is things like gelatin's, it's not that difficult, and to be honest, you will find that anything that is slightly bad for you like; cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, etc unless you get a specific vegan brand you will seldom find a vegan friendly one. However this is a good thing in my opinion as you don't want those things in your body anyway!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycherry View Post

My main problems would be protein sources; I find soy stuff expensive, and how to distinguish between food that have milk and/or egg products in them. I also do not know how to cook beans and what to put in them. I would also like to try some recipes out for homemade salad dressings and meals.

Get a few vegan cookbooks from the library. Also everyone here gave great ideas.

I felt the same way (super picky eater before), but it just takes a little practice and a little bit more willingness to "give it a try". Some things you'll like, some things you won't. But trust me when I say it gets easier the more you cook.

Also, I get canned beans and rinse them well. They work awesome!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Congratulations on starting your transition! You may want to try adding grains like quinoa that are naturally high in protein. :)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycherry View Post

Eggs are no problem to quit. Milk is not much of a problem either since I am slightly lactose intolerant. Soy milk tastes better anyways (haha). I do feel bad consuming animal by-products, especially now that I am taking Sociology. My main problems would be protein sources; I find soy stuff expensive, and how to distinguish between food that have milk and/or egg products in them. I also do not know how to cook beans and what to put in them. I would also like to try some recipes out for homemade salad dressings and meals.

Try this guide, or this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts