VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stopped eating meat ten months ago. So I became a vegetarian, because of animal rights! I just disagree with all the things that involves an animal's suffering, (I don't have anything leather,fur clothes,I use not tested on animals products etc)

I want to be a vegan, because I've heard that the diary industry is bad on animals. Please don't be so graphic, but what's going on there?

I don't want to eat dairy products if the animals are suffering. Please tell me they are not suffering or are they???

And about eggs. An egg is an unborn chicken, so if I eat an egg it means I am eating an unborn life? Plus, are the chickens feeling abused by taking their eggs away from them?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I really want to stop eating diary and egg products if

the animals are trated badly.

Please help!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well I'll try not to get to graphic here and just give you the basic wrongs of the dairy and egg industries.

Dairy: Cows (like any other mammal) have to be pregnant to produce milk, they are impregnated and then when the calfs are born they are either killed right away (because they aren't needed and the farmers don't want them taking the mother cow's milk) or worse raised as "veal calfs".

Mother cows often mourn the loss of their calf and will continue to call out for them for hours after being taken away, some have even been known to escape fields in search of their missing calfs.

The mother cows are then milked by us for about 9 months before being impregnated again and it starts all over again. They are also often given drugs to make them produce much more milk than they naturally would, making their udders swell to unnatural sizes which can make it painful to be milked and even cause infection.

The mother cows are also killed after about 4 - 5 years when their milk supply starts to get too little to be of enough profit to the farmers.

Eggs: When the chicks destined to be used for egg production are born they are seperated into male and female categories, the male chicks are killed straight away since they aren't needed, and the female chicks are debeaked (have their beaks cut off with a red hot blade).

The female chicks are then sent off to the warehouses where they will spend their entire lives in tiny cages. Many factory farms make their hens go through a process called "molting" where they stave them for up to 14 days to make them produce eggs faster.

After about 2 - 3 years when the hens egg production declines they are killed and "replaced" by younger hens.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mangogirl, congratulations on your decision and for wanting to learn the truth. I grew up on a small family owned dairy farm. All of the things that Manics_fan described are true. These things happen on all farms including the ones that are "organic" or "free range." I could go into more detail of things that happen on these farms but you might consider it graphic.

If you are feeling brave you can read one of my earlier posts about the things I remember about growing up on a dairy farm. It isn't gory, but it is very sad.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...04#post1393104

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for this! This is absolutely horrible!!!

But Sometimes we just have to face the truth! (I'm glad I did)

I am not going to have any milk, or eggs etc, this is almost as bad as killing them for their meat, or even worse because they are suffering for years!

I can't believe what humans capable of doing!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
mangogirl, it's great you were able to ask for the truth

congratulations and good luck in your transition to veganism!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!!!!

I am so glad I found this forum, and get support from you all.

I don't get any support from my parents, fiance...friends! I felt so lonely!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a new vegan , just this year, so I'm with you. Us new "vegans" have to stick together! I don't get any support from anyone either. People call me a "treehugger" around here. And as a new vegan I get shocked looks and people I love roll their eyes and sigh and tell me that no animals are harmed in egg or dairy production. DO NOT compromise yourself! You choose who you want to be, and don't let others try to tell you who THEY want you to be!

·
Registered
592 Posts
mangogirl, it is SO AWESOME that you sought out this information and are acting upon it. you seem very caring and passionate! the animals are lucky to have you on their side.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Dairy: Cows (like any other mammal) have to be pregnant to produce milk, they are impregnated and then when the calfs are born they are either killed right away (because they aren't needed and the farmers don't want them taking the mother cow's milk) or worse raised as "veal calfs".

Mother cows often mourn the loss of their calf and will continue to call out for them for hours after being taken away, some have even been known to escape fields in search of their missing calfs.
The male calves become veal or are killed for cheap meat. The female calves replace their mothers.

Every calf is separated from its mother on the day of his or her birth, or within a couple days, on commercial dairy farms (even free range and organic ones). The mothers and babies have been known to call for each other for weeks, even months. Some never seem to get over the loss.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangogirl View Post

Thank you!!!!

I am so glad I found this forum, and get support from you all.

I don't get any support from my parents, fiance...friends! I felt so lonely!
I know how it is. Even with a veggie fiance, who is mostly just doing it for me and not so much the morals (yet!) it can be really easy to feel like the only one in the boat. But don't worry! There are other vegans out there!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sounds like you've gotten some pretty good descriptions so far, but I didn't mention these facts:

Cows who provide dairy products are also normally housed in unhygenic conditions (i.e., lots of waste products build up) and often do not get to go outside much if at all, as well as being confined in fairly small areas...some are kept on milking machines almost constantly. They are also given tons of antibiotics because of the infections that are rampant in the dairy industry.

Chickens are kept in even more cramped and unhygenic conditions (often 3 or more hens per 8 X 10 cage, thousands of birds in one building) and that is why (as previously mentioned) they are debeaked--so it is harder to inflict damage on their cagemates.

My understanding is that both cows and chickens do not retain enough calcium, so often have joint and bone problems. That is part of the reason that removing the animal to take it to the slaughterhouse once it no longer produces "enough" is often extremely graphic

Farm Sanctuary, a group that has an internet site, has lots of information on how these animals are treated and that they do all end up dead long before their natural lifespan would have elapsed. It has some moderately graphic descriptions, but doesn't have much in the way of graphic pictures or movies (unless you look for it): http://www.factoryfarming.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.