VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But Im not sure if my town lets you withen the city limits. I want a veitnamese pot belly pig. My mom says it is probley concidered a farm animal but we are not sure. Any one know a site where it say where you can have small "farm animals" as pets?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Have you really really researched this?? Pigs are a lot of work and expense to properly care for, and they live a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Have you really really researched this?? Pigs are a lot of work and expense to properly care for, and they live a long time.
Yes, i always do a lot of research before I get a new pet. Anyway though I wont be geting one for a while, we have 10 pets in this house and that is enough for now. Im thinking of in a few years. Im doing my research now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
It would depend on the laws of your city. For instance, I know one city in Ohio defines farm animals as having hooves. Others might have a list of what is and isn't allowed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Two thougts pop to mind:

- I've read / heard that pigs want company, they don't want to be the only pig.

- You may want to contact a pot-pellied pig sanctuary and ask them a) what the most common give-up reasons are, and b) advice. They may have a unique perspective.

(BTW, The Wite Pig in Virginia is a combination vegan B&B and pot-bellied pig sanctuary. I don't know if they're into answering questions aout pigs, but the folks who run it are very nice and very concerned about pig welfare.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
If you did alot of research, you would think you would know if it's considered a farm animal, or even legal where you live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,644 Posts
I thought about getting one once, but then I found that if you don't feed them EXACTLY RIGHT (read: severely restrict their food intake), they can grow to the size of any other pig which is about 400 pounds, give or take.

What really turned me off to getting one, though is when I found they were specifically downbred to be that size (read: intentionally stunted so they stay cute and small).

Other than that, pigs are very smart but they're very stubborn, too. Once they get their head onto something, they're on it solidly. Pigs can also learn one thing and apply it to other things, too so if they figure out how to open the back door, chances are they'll use that knowledge to open the back door, the kitchen cabinets, the bathroom door and maybe even the front door.


But DEFINITELY before you get one, check your city codes to make sure you're zoned for it, do all the research you can, everywhere you can and check the shelters in your area if you DO decide to get one. Abandoned piggies need love too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

If you did alot of research, you would think you would know if it's considered a farm animal, or even legal where you live.
Dont be rude please. I know its a farm animal, however pot belly pigs are different somtimes. They live in houses, not outside like the normal pig. So the laws may be different. I have searched and seached for info about if they are legal or not and have found none. Thats why I asked if there was a website that told what farm animals were legal where(people have yet to answer this). Don't worry about the pig, I would never get a pet without doing the proper research beforehand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
This sounds great. I've heard that pigs are extremely intelligent and very good companions. I don't know a lot about them but I would certainly consider getting two rather than one, just because, as intelligent animals, they may well be happier with another of their own species to keep them entertained when you aren't available. I'm sure you'll find out about that though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I thought about getting one once, but then I found that if you don't feed them EXACTLY RIGHT (read: severely restrict their food intake), they can grow to the size of any other pig which is about 400 pounds, give or take.

What really turned me off to getting one, though is when I found they were specifically downbred to be that size (read: intentionally stunted so they stay cute and small).

Other than that, pigs are very smart but they're very stubborn, too. Once they get their head onto something, they're on it solidly. Pigs can also learn one thing and apply it to other things, too so if they figure out how to open the back door, chances are they'll use that knowledge to open the back door, the kitchen cabinets, the bathroom door and maybe even the front door.


But DEFINITELY before you get one, check your city codes to make sure you're zoned for it, do all the research you can, everywhere you can and check the shelters in your area if you DO decide to get one. Abandoned piggies need love too.
The reason I want a small pig is because I live in a house and a 400 or 600 pound pig would not fit in the house. I think all pigs are cute and if i ever have a large enough propity(sorry cant spell) I plan on haveing all sorts of animals, pigs, cows, and chickens....

and of course I would get one at a shelter. Thats the only place to get animals imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

Dont be rude please. I know its a farm animal, however pot belly pigs are different somtimes. They live in houses, not outside like the normal pig. So the laws may be different. I have searched and seached for info about if they are legal or not and have found none. Thats why I asked if there was a website that told what farm animals were legal where(people have yet to answer this). Don't worry about the pig, I would never get a pet without doing the proper research beforehand.
I wasn't being rude, and yes, I know what a potbelly pig is, but it is very obvious that you didn't do enough research to bring one into your home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

The reason I want a small pig is because I live in a house and a 400 or 600 pound pig would not fit in the house. I think all pigs are cute and if i ever have a large enough propity(sorry cant spell) I plan on haveing all sorts of animals, pigs, cows, and chickens....

and of course I would get one at a shelter. Thats the only place to get animals imo.
So what are you going to do if your pig gets to big? Do you even have enough property to give it exercise? Just because they can be pets doesn't mean they need the same conditions as a dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Judging from just a few minutes of quick Googling, having one of the little porkers in the house doesnt strike me as being a very good idea. Ive always wanted a pet pig too, but well wait until we can buy an acre somewhere and do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

So what are you going to do if your pig gets to big? Do you even have enough property to give it exercise? Just because they can be pets doesn't mean they need the same conditions as a dog.
veitnamese pot bellys get 50 pounds.

I always do research before geting a new pet and when I get a pig it will be very happy. All I have asked here was if there was a website that tells you where one would be legal. I want to look up my town and find out if im able to have one where i live now or if I would have to move.

stop worrying about me being a good owner, if you do not have the right answer tomy question dont try and answer it at all. Thank you and I hope I dont sound rude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

veitnamese pot bellys get 50 pounds.

please stop replying to my posts, your annoying me. I always do research before geting a new pet and when I get a pig it will be very happy. All I have asked here was if there was a website that tells you where one would be legal. I want to look up my town and find out if im able to have one where i live now or if I would have to move.

stop worrying about me being a good owner, if you do not have the right answer tomy question dont try and answer it at all. Thank you and I hope I dont sound rude.
50 pounds? You think their max is 50 pounds? Now I know you didn't do ANY research. I really hope you don't get a pig. Do a quick google search and you will be proven wrong quickly. I know some people that have potbelly pigs. 50 pounds? Ya right. They all do not stay that small. I'm annoying you? Well, sorry me proving you wrong is inconvient to you, it happens. But, I care more about a pig then your annoyance level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

All I have asked here was if there was a website that tells you where one would be legal. I want to look up my town and find out if im able to have one where i live now or if I would have to move.
Youre rightthats really what you did ask to begin with. Since this is largely regulated by municipal and/or county ordinance, why not just contact your local police department/sheriffs office?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top