VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know where. Anyone got a link? I dont mind paying for it, but free would be better of course, as long as it is legal

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Young One, you should pay to see it. The people who made the movie deserve revenue for their hard work in helping to spread the word that a vegan diet is a healthy diet.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
There's some dubious health claims, though. Isn't Esseltyn in the "fats are bad" camp? If I'm not mistaken he leans more towards the unprocessed foods line of thought, and not all of the clinical data on nutrition supports that. I might have the man mistaken for someone else but I'm almost certain I caught one of his lectures on Youtube and he was saying olive oil was poison or something and it just made me facepalm.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
You're thinking of the right man, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

There's some dubious health claims, though. Isn't Esseltyn in the "fats are bad" camp? If I'm not mistaken he leans more towards the unprocessed foods line of thought, and not all of the clinical data on nutrition supports that. I might have the man mistaken for someone else but I'm almost certain I caught one of his lectures on Youtube and he was saying olive oil was poison or something and it just made me facepalm.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

what if it isn't good for you? did you examine his data, or do you just "know" it's good for you?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

what if it isn't good for you? did you examine his data, or do you just "know" it's good for you?
Yeah, I've heard from several nutritionists that olive oil isn't good for you. Personally, I'm on the fence about it and I still eat it, but you never know.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Like others have said, pay to see it. I don't at all mind paying for documentaries that I am passionate about. I would never pay for Transformers, on the other hand, let alone watch it.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

Well, nothing is good for you, but aren't you better off using a bit of evoo rather than using saturated animal fats? I'd honestly rather plant oils in my blood than animal fat clogging my arteries. BUT! I do stay away from oils, I mostly get my fats from avocado and almonds... maybe some flax when I remember.

·
Banned
841 Posts
I can't wait for this to come out!
Might have to wait for the DVD though, I live in a remote area, and the website said the nearest showing is 2 hours away from me.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
People from the meditteranean have eaten Olive Oil like it was water for thousands of years or more. I cannot believe that it is bad. They have a great life expectancy.

From what I read, it is not good to use for stir fries or high heat cooking. But it can be used for lighter frying, and is great in salads.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

People from the meditteranean have eaten Olive Oil like it was water for thousands of years or more. I cannot believe that it is bad. They have a great life expectancy.

From what I read, it is not good to use for stir fries or high heat cooking. But it can be used for lighter frying, and is great in salads.
i think the data from ornish and esselstyn is pretty solid. it isn't as bad for you as animal fats. that's a far piece away from it being good for you.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
per ornish:

As I wrote in my column, olive oil "lowers" cholesterol only when substituted in equal amounts for foods that are higher in saturated fat. In other words, if you replace 60 grams of butter with 60 grams of olive oil, your LDL cholesterol level is likely to decrease-not because olive oil lowered your cholesterol level but because it didn't raise it as much. This is a very common misconception, causing many people to consume a lot of olive oil in the belief that it will somehow magically lower their cholesterol levels.

Studies comparing the effects of canola oil versus olive oil show that canola oil consumption results in lower LDL cholesterol levels. This is not surprising, since olive oil contains approximately 14% saturated fat, whereas canola oil has much less. It's clear that olive oil is a healthier fat than many others, but not as healthful as canola oil or fish oil.

A study by Dr. Robert Vogel in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that olive oil significantly reduces blood flow to different parts of your body, whereas canola oil and salmon do not. This measure of blood flow, called flow-mediated vasodilation (FMD), is a standard, well-accepted test by the American Heart Association and others. In this study, blood flow (FMD) was reduced by 31% after an olive-oil meal but was not reduced by a meal with a similar amount of fat from canola oil or salmon, probably due to the higher content of the protective omega-3 fatty acids in canola oil and salmon.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
per esselstyn:

MC: What about the brain - doesn't the brain need good fats?
CE: I'm not sure that there's any data that shows that there's any deficiency of these good fats when you're eating fully plant-based. I'm totally unaware that there's any fat deficiency - most people want to know that you're getting enough omega-3 and omega-6, well, no question everybody gets enough omega-6. Omega-3 you get when you're eating plant-based, and especially in the green leafy vegetables. And, interestingly enough, people who are plant-based, there is a recent study that suggests that they are much more capable than meat eaters of naturally converting to omega-3 right within their own bodies. So, not only is there conversion, but you're gonna get plenty of omega-3 through eating vegetables. I don't know any study that suggests that your brain requires saturated, artery-killing fat to survive.
MC: What about flax seed?
CE: You certainly have that option - you can have a tablespoon or two of flax seed meal on your cereal to enhance the amount of omega-3.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Answer me about the olives, damn you!

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

What about olives???
basically, they want you to avoid them. i suppose if you eat a few it's not the end of the world.

per esselstyn:
MC: Why do you recommend avoiding olive oil and avocados?
CE:
They also have saturated fat, that's why I'm particularly cautious, in the patients who already have heart disease. If somebody doesn't have heart disease, and they're eating avocados, they want to be sure that their cholesterol numbers are in a very acceptable, normal range. Under 150 total and maybe an LDL of 85. But otherwise in these products, especially for somebody who already has heart disease, you're eating saturated fat and the various kinds of fats that are counterproductive to the disease. The olive oil, the studies are really quite clear. It has to do with the brachial artery tourniquet test - on a healthy individual, the artery should get 30% wider after they had the tourniquet on. Now, if you give somebody olive oil and administer that test, it will be compromised, meaning, there will be enough injury and impairment of the lining of the vessel so it can't dilate sufficiently. The olive oil injures the lining of the blood vessel and its ability to make our protective nitric oxide. I've seen it in a patient where he was eating really well, but he was eating olive oil. And the only thing we changed was taking out the olive oil - and his chest pain disappeared.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts