VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... they have been made into a smoothie?<br><br>
I used to blend frozen brocolli and berries together with water then leave it in the fridge for the following day. Would it be better to stick the smoothie back into the freezer? Some of the frozen vegetables state that they should not be refrozen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
According to the USDA its safe to refreeze them as you're not cooking them, just blending them. As far as I understand it though, they need to be fully thawed.<br><br><a href="http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp#14" target="_blank">Freezing and Food Safety</a><br><br>
I would just leave it in the refrigerator, but that's me. I'm unlikely to leave a smoothie sitting around for more than 24 hrs, cause I'm an addict.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes, it's perfectly safe.<br><br>
You can also refreeze if you cook them.<br><br>
Freezing doesn't do anything dangerous to foods whatsoever. It can, however, affect the taste and texture a little. Won't be an issue with a smoothie, but it may turn into a rock.<br><br>
Even if your food has already spoiled outside of the freezer, freezing won't make it worse, but it won't fix spoiled food either- it just pushes the "pause" button on food. It will just make the pathogens take a bit of a nap while they're frozen, only to wake up later (most of them).<br><br>
For vegetables, you really don't need to worry about it unless they have been contaminated from meat. The pathogens that grow on fruits and vegetables are not generally as harmful as those which grow on meats, and they're also more VISIBLE.<br><br>
Usually the worst case is that they'll get a bit moldy with an aspergillus strain or something (if you leave them out in a warm damp area). It's usually safe to cut the mold off, but some mold is toxic, so if you see mold on something, you're taking a little bit of a risk. You don't need to worry about accidentally eating mold; it's pretty obvious if you examine the item.<br><br>
Some vegetables you can also cut off the mold without risking your health, because the toxins are unable to spread through the fiber matrix of the veggie. You can find lists on which veggies are OK, and which you are taking a risk with (that is, if you see mold).<br><br>
Otherwise, they'll probably just grow yeast, which you can't see easily, but which is harmless (you can smell the alcohol and the yeasty smell; might taste weird, but it shouldn't hurt you).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts