VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I said outloud, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!?" <- The stuff is delicious! I've only been vegan for a short while and have consequently used a fair amount of regular milk (but only as a cooking ingredient). I never really liked the taste of it (most likely because I was brought up on skimmed and that never tasted any good). Anyway just wished to gush in the success of my purchase.

Also, I want to know more about; the length of time Soy Milk keeps, how you use it in cooking (does it mar the flavour of some foods?) or, something you know that's useful about the nutritional content.

My vegan "experiment" has got off to a pretty good start. I'm pretty happy about my find.

·
3,936 Posts
an unopened carton will keep for a long time; not sure how long, probably years.

once opened keep in fridge, and it'll keep for a few days, and then start to go thick, and then start to smell, just like dairy milk.

It doesn't freeze....if you freeze it, when it thaws it will separate into liquid and solid bits floating on the top.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
As far as a cooking ingredient, you'll have to feel that out. I use regular or regular unsweetened soy milk for cooking depending on what I'm making (although coconut milk rocks for cooking).Typically I use Vanilla in my cereal and when I want some for drinking. I usually have a carton of regular and vanilla in the fridge at all times.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
REALLY.
soya milk is the best.

i don't cook much but generally replace cow's milk for soya in any recipe and it's always turned out just fine.
also, the soya milk i get says it keeps for 5 days once opened but it definitely keeps for longer than that...I just keep it until I can tell it's gone off. when it's not been opened it can be kept for a long, long time. as someone up there said ^ probably years.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
NOW you've discovered soya milk - try soya yogurts next. They are so much better than regular yogurts, so rich and creamy....

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I disagree on the soy yogurt being better, but that's me, and they're ok. I think the statement of keeping yrs is for the shelf stable cartons though, not the refrigerated kind.
I use my vanilla light soy milk in everything from baking to cooking. I don't buy the plain stuff just to cook savory dishes with, although I suppose I would if I were cooking for guests.

Welcome to the alternative milk world. People love almond milk too, if you're watching how much soy your consuming, which a glass a day is fine, but don't need much more than that.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I read the labels on all the milks. The types of ingredients and additives can vary a lot.... sugar, flavorings, etc.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Welcome to the alternative milk world. People love almond milk too, if you're watching how much soy your consuming, which a glass a day is fine, but don't need much more than that.
Yes! Also give rice milk a try too.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

an unopened carton will keep for a long time [...]
once opened keep in fridge, and it'll keep for a few days [...]
That's nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I read the labels on all the milks. The types of ingredients and additives can vary a lot.... sugar, flavorings, etc.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's crazy sugary.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
It's strange because I don't think soya milk has any taste to it.
I used to have it though but I've switched to rice milk recently which is nice and sweet.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

It's strange because I don't think soya milk has any taste to it.
I used to have it though but I've switched to rice milk recently which is nice and sweet.
As I say, mine may have been sweetened but it doesn't appear too sugary; Light Chilled 1L

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

As I say, mine may have been sweetened but it doesn't appear too sugary; Light Chilled 1L
Yeah, I've tried that one. My omni husband much prefers soya milk to the other vegan milks so it must taste of something. I must have weird tastebuds.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:

I disagree on the soy yogurt being better, but that's me, and they're ok.
Perhaps different brands taste different? I have only tried the Alpro ones, they are the only ones sold locally. When I used to eat dairy yogurts, I always had the low fat ones, so perhaps that is also why I notice such a difference.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
frozen alpro soya yoghurts are so good.

also, if you're a chocolate lover, chocolate soya milk is the best thing you will ever taste.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use Soy Milk/Rice Milk in my house for cooking and what not and have had no problems.

Chocolate Soya Milk is amazing!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder/wish that there is a cream-replacement. As I'm becoming more vegan i'm looking to get something which is very think to use in my soups. Soy Milk might be too sweet. I'm sure there is a thread on this, but how do you go about replacing eggs as a cooking ingredient?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
You can definitely get cream replacements. I'm pretty sure alpro does one and a couple of other companies.

My favourite soya milk is Sainsburys unsweetened. Alpro is ok, but a bit sweet for me. Lidl's is the worst thing ever, it's like gone off milk.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:

I disagree on the soy yogurt being better, but that's me, and they're ok.
Oh they have some mighty good stuff in the UK. Much better than we have here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

I wonder/wish that there is a cream-replacement. As I'm becoming more vegan i'm looking to get something which is very think to use in my soups. Soy Milk might be too sweet. I'm sure there is a thread on this, but how do you go about replacing eggs as a cooking ingredient?
http://www.mimicreme.com/

As for eggs...

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7678.0

When I'm converting a homemade non-vegan recipe, I mostly use Ener-G egg replacer. Sometimes I'll use flax "eggs". I haven't been able to use the Ener-G or flax "eggs" successfully in non-vegan brownie recipes, though. However, I use a really great vegan brownie recipe. I add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and use non-dairy milk, like soy or almond, instead of water cuz I think it improves the texture. Add half a cup of chocolate chips for gooey chocolate goodness.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Almond milk tastes metallic (?) to me so I get sick of it pretty quick. Many seem to love it though so it could just be me. Unsweetened and plain soy milks are my favorites for cooking but vanilla is also yummy when baking sweets. Glad you enjoyed your first taste!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts