VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yuck!

:'(

This is the first time I have used nutritional yeast, and I made a "macaroni and cheese". I got the recipe from a good vegan book, and I just did not like it at all!

I am still new to all of this, but I am disapointed that I really do not like it at all. I will attempt a different "cheese" recipe, hopefully it will be better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Clarity, I really dislike nutritional yeast. My first few brushes with vegan cheeze-making were complete disasters because I just couldn't accustom my taste-buds to yeasty-flavored cheezes.

You might want to try the cheeze recipe I've posted below. It's really good, and doesn't have the strong nutritional yeast flavor associated with vegan cheezes.

By the way, nutritional yeast makes excellent vegetarian 'chicken' broth. Bryanna Clark Grogan posted a recipe on Vegsource some time back, and it was delicious. I'll dig up the recipe if you're interested!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm with Kreeli. I had to get used to the flavor of nutritional yeast, and now I LOVE IT! Once I went vegan, I also had to get over the emotional attachment I had with dairy products. Eventually I managed to stop trying to find exact vegan replicas to my old favorites, and instead enjoy new kinds of foods.

Oh, and nutritional yeast is great sprinkled on popcorn!

·
Banned
261 Posts
Brewers' yeast and nutritional yeast are usually not the same thing.

In some plces, nutritional yeast is called "brewers' yeast", for unknown reasons.

Usually, brewers' yeas is a medium-brown color, and tastes bitter, not at all for use like nutritional yeast.

Nutritional yeast is yellow-ish, and goes well in/sprinkled on a lot of things. It has a nutty, somewhat cheesy taste.

I love nutritional yeast. Most people say it's an acquired taste, but I liked it the first time I made nutritional yeast mac n cheese...and that was *REALLY* nutritional yeast heavy, 2 cups of the stuff in about 3 cups or so of sauce. I don't know. I just think the stuff is really good, over pasta dishes, in sauces, on popcorn, whatever.

Cassie

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made macaroni and "cheeze" too. It was.... well... I didnt' like it. LOL! I'm going to try other 'cheeze' sauce recipes. I really want to be vegan. I'm trying hard to find some vegan cheeses in my area or cheese subsitutes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
the recipe below i have made a few times. i like it. i have experiemented with the amounts called for. sometimes it has been a little bland, but i was happy with it cuz i like bland foods.

1-2 tbs olive oil

2 large onions, thinly sliced (i usually use 1)

water

4 large cloves garlice, finely sliced

1 lb tofu

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tsp sea salt

1 tbsp each basil and oregano

briefly saute onion. add 2 tbsp water and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are almost soft, about 5 minutes. add garlic and crumble tofu over it. Add soysauce, salt and herbs. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Puree until smooth, adding water until you get the desired texture, about 1/2 cut. I usually use a little more soy sauce, and some Braggs Liquid Aminos.

i usually

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.