VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

The veggie sausages when defrosted should handle like meat sausages, they will be soft and plyable. I used to defrost them, cut them into small pieces and roll them to make 'meat' balls.
really? what type of sausages did you use? as in, were they TVP, soy, mycoprotein (Quorn) ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Just the Linda McCartney ones.
I should imagine the quorn ones will be fine. Although in my opinion, the Linda McCartney ones have a rougher texture and therefore are more sausage like. The Quorn ones are more like hotdogs...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXkessieXx View Post

actually, I know I said I'd try it but you didnt give any quantities. would you mind sharing or am I gonna have to try and find this book (is it even legal to post it here)?
I'm not sure if it'd be legal to post someone else's published recipe
Sorry. I'm sure you could do a variation of it though, and just spice it to taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
I'm really shocked at your school, have you actually spoken to them about doing a veggie version? You won't be their first vegetarian and you won't be their last, are you sure they don't let vegetarians do an alternative?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I'm really shocked at your school, have you actually spoken to them about doing a veggie version? You won't be their first vegetarian and you won't be their last, are you sure they don't let vegetarians do an alternative?
I think its pretty ridiculous and no I doubt I am there first vegetarian but food tech isn't a legal requirement to be taught, and if they think I'm going to be hard work they'll just give me double PE instead, and I REALLY hate PE. My school isn't exactly pro-veggie, even the dinner ladies look at you funny when you say you want cauliflower cheese, a pretty healthy option in my mind and not just something vegetarians eat, instead of their greasy cheeseburgers or bacon sandwiches or fish fingers. I just think it makes way more sense to keep my gob shut for as long as possible about it... I think it's pretty unfair to vegetarians, but its my decision to live like this and I want as little hassle as possible, so I'm going to try...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
I'm just really confused, there must be guidance for schools to cater for vegetarians, including in HE. Heck, most people use a vegetarian diet for their case study at HE GCSE. Have you even mentioned it at all? I'm pretty sure it would be completely illegal for them to discriminate against you based on your diet.

They might be more accommodating than you would think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I'm just really confused, there must be guidance for schools to cater for vegetarians, including in HE. Heck, most people use a vegetarian diet for their case study at HE GCSE. Have you even mentioned it at all? I'm pretty sure it would be completely illegal for them to discriminate against you based on your diet.

They might be more accommodating than you would think.
I haven't said anything to this specific teacher, but the school knows because you have to tell them about things like that so they can fill out a load of random paperwork about you. So she might know, but she might not. I don't really want to tell her, not because I'm not proud of my choice, but because I enjoy cooking and most of the things we cook are desserts anyway which obviously are veggie or very easy to make veggie, and I don't want to be kicked out just for one recipe. you have to eat, so they have to provide a vegetarian alternative (not a vegan one though!) but because you don't have to know how to cook sausage rolls to live, they don't have to allow it, and I dont want to tazke the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
You should be proud of your choice: and they really can't discriminate because of your beliefs about eating meat. For example- I'm sure that they would make an accommodation if someone was Jewish or needed Halal meats, or couldn't eat meat for religious reasons. They can't kick you out of class for ASKING about alternatives! The worst they can say is no (in which case just use veggie sausage/mix anyway since they won't know the difference), but they might just say yes. There is no reason to feel weird or stupid because you have a question. Other people probably don't care as much as you worry they will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post

You should be proud of your choice: and they really can't discriminate because of your beliefs about eating meat. For example- I'm sure that they would make an accommodation if someone was Jewish or needed Halal meats, or couldn't eat meat for religious reasons. They can't kick you out of class for ASKING about alternatives! The worst they can say is no (in which case just use veggie sausage/mix anyway since they won't know the difference), but they might just say yes. There is no reason to feel weird or stupid because you have a question. Other people probably don't care as much as you worry they will.


Don't be so paranoid about being vegetarian! It's a positive choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXkessieXx View Post

I haven't said anything to this specific teacher, but the school knows because you have to tell them about things like that so they can fill out a load of random paperwork about you. So she might know, but she might not. I don't really want to tell her, not because I'm not proud of my choice, but because I enjoy cooking and most of the things we cook are desserts anyway which obviously are veggie or very easy to make veggie, and I don't want to be kicked out just for one recipe. you have to eat, so they have to provide a vegetarian alternative (not a vegan one though!) but because you don't have to know how to cook sausage rolls to live, they don't have to allow it, and I dont want to tazke the risk.
You should be proud of your choice. You made up your mind to be a vegetarian, and you should speak up about it. If you're uncomfortable, ask after class if you can make a veggie alternatative. The worse they'll say is, "No, because..."and give you a lame reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·


my sausage rolls, made with linda mcartney sausages
sorry it took me so long I just kept putting it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
and is anybody else getting advertisements on here for "morrisons best of british beef" ????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXkessieXx View Post

and is anybody else getting advertisements on here for "morrisons best of british beef" ????
LOL I've had pizza hut, all kinds of meat products, bacon, beef, etc etc. Cheese, all rather amusing considering I'm vegan.
The person in charge of the google adwords account should either exclude some keywords, or make some mandatory!

As for sausage rolls, I would go with linda mcartney sausages, OR I'm sure there are vegan sausages around....maybe a veggi sausage? Like a veggi burger just a different shape, usually with bread crumbs but hey, give it a shot! And let us know your findings!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,793 Posts
I'm glad it went all right for you. Don't worry, I've gotten ads for Spam and Arby's (Roast Beef Chain Restaurant in the U.S....
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I didn't know about gelatin in marshmallows for a really long time. Most people who aren't vegetarian wouldn't even think of it, in my experience. I wouldn't worry about it
">
Same here. I didn't even imagine that they would have an animal product in them. But fortunately I don't really like them all that much anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I don't think she knew they had gelatin. Heck when I first started, I didn't know. But I think it is fantastic that you are going veg.
 

·
adapt. evolve. become
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
I knew about the marshmallow thing before I went vegetarian, but I can see how people can just not be aware of it. A few things surprised me, though.. like the onion dip from Trader Joe's! Would not have expected gelatin to be in there. (that's when I ate dairy)
 

·
Vegetarian
Joined
·
276 Posts
I got offered gummies right after telling them I am a vegetarian. Pretty sure they just didn't know. Easy mistake. And I like to error on the side of ignorance than malicious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratus View Post

I got offered gummies right after telling them I am a vegetarian. Pretty sure they just didn't know. Easy mistake. And I like to error on the side of ignorance than malicious.
Yes, it was probably a mistake.
I didn't know gummies or marshmallows and other candies weren't vegetarian for a long time. It's not something you would think about.
Fortunately I don't like gummy candy and stuff anyway so I don't feel too guilty about not knowing since I didn't eat any.
 
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Top