VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Banned
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to brag a bit. As you probably don't remember, my biggest pain to give up was sushi. The only thing that made me miss pescetarianism. so a few days ago I finally went with my friends into a sushi restaurant, and i didn't break

I had miso soup, avocado salad, avocado roll and veggie-dynamyte. and not once did i try to ask my friends for a roll. and they still have a few vegetable rolls and dishes to try. which is great, because this restaurant has more veggie selections than other sushi places

· Registered
3,100 Posts
Even if you only ate fish half as often as you did before, you'd still be taking a huge tangible step towards protecting animals and the fragile ocean ecosystem. You should be proud of your ability to resist temptation. It speaks to the better part of your character. It's a discipline I understand very well.

· Registered
1,459 Posts
Congrats, Ira, for resisting temptation.

I first tried sushi as a vegan, so for me it's always been about the non-fishy stuff.

Mmm, had avocado maki yesterday, and again today. I can't get enough of that stuff...

· Registered
563 Posts
Definitely congrats!

I haven't been to a sushi restaurant since going vegan. Although I used to love eating raw fish sushi, that's not what worries me. I called the restaurant I usually go to (closest, cheapest and yummiest) and they use eggs in their tempura batter. And I LOVE tempura!!

· Registered
1,260 Posts
I think vegan miso soup is actually more common than miso soup with fish flakes. It's not mushroom stock though. It's water and miso paste, usually. Just ask the restaurant. They can probably leave the fish out, even if their soup usually does contain it.

· Banned
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks y'all.
I will sure ask about the soup. I got some lunch there today as well, but no soup. I hope it has no fish or that it is easy not to put it in. Their soup is awesome. it is not just liquid with 2 pieces of tofu like some places. it has lots of tofu, mushrooms and green onions

· Registered
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

I called the restaurant I usually go to (closest, cheapest and yummiest) and they use eggs in their tempura batter. And I LOVE tempura!!
I imagine that's the way it is in most Japanese restaurants, unfortunately (which is stupid, because I don't believe tempura was traditionally made with egg - that's Westernization for you). Fortunately, tempura batter is super easy to make at home, with soft silken tofu instead of egg.
I use the Vegan Comfort Food recipe, but a Google search for "vegan tempura" yields many results if you don't have it (though I recommend getting it!).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.