VeggieBoards banner
41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Well, I talk to myself in my head too I suppose. I think that's completely normal. However, I make up little scenes in my head; all sorts of things and scenarios with me involved. I'm so often in my own little dream world that real life surprises me haha. When I'm walking along the street for example, and a car beeps, I always jump out of my skin because I was so far away somewhere in my head. Sometimes I get real life & my life inside my head mixed up.
I think this is just having an overactive imagination. I can relate to this in a way. I don't get real life and my imagination mixed up though. Some people are just "in their heads" more than others. It may not be normal, but I for one, do not care about being normal. Technically, being introverted isn't "normal" because (as far as I know) there are far more extroverts in the world.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I talk to myself out loud. Full on conversations, mind you. And I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy, but who's to really determine what crazy is or isn't.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm usually thinking up potential short story or novel plotlines in my head at any point my brain isn't otherwise occupied. That or I'm thinking of responses to debate topics and what I will say to someone in response to a certain question or how to phrase important things I have to tell people. But mostly, if I'm alone, it's the stories. I even get annoyed if someone calls me or interrupts me when I'm mentally exploring an interesting plot arc... It's a bit weird probably, certainly there's an element of escapism as it's very rare these ideas ever get on paper, but it keeps my brain out of trouble.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Caw View Post

Isn't this called thinking?
That's about right. Of course, it doesn't mean that we're not all crazy anyway.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

But sometimes when i walk i realize that my facial expression is changing when i "talk" in my head.
OH MY GOD I DO THIS TOO!

Let me join your crazy party, guys. Cheers for being completely abnormal!

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Sounds a whole lot like me. I have total control of the "voice", but I can really get carried away with thinking about an upcoming situation, and I'll think " now he's going to say this, and when he does, I'm going to say that". And then after the real situation happens, 95% of the time it's " Well that didn't go anything like what I planned ! ".

The border-line schizo stuff happens when I'm in a half dream state (usually from being physically worn out from doing something, on top of previous lack of sleep). and then it's not so much talking voices, it's music. Sometimes singing in languages that don't really exist. Sometime types of singing that I don't think Humans are even capable of. Sometimes an entire orchestra, sometimes including instruments that don't really exist. Sometimes very normal 4 piece rock band type stuff, but some of it would make the top 40 easily. I can only bring about 1% into reality with my musical abilities in real life.

Ok, I have to add that in my early teens for a couple years, I thought I was talking to Jesus in my head, but I was still in control of everything said. I forget exactly how that ever started or how it ended. I just know the approximate time frame.

·
3,936 Posts
I do all this too.....I often have imaginary conversations with people, quite often famous people..

When I was a kid, I would often have imaginary confrontations with teachers, when I walked back from school...sort of give them a piece of my mind..

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
All joking aside, this thread has made me feel much better. It didn't bother me as much when it was all just in my head. I chalked it up to social awkwardness, being alone too much, etc. But when I found myself actually mouthing the words in public and using hand gestures, I kinda began to worry.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Hey there,

count me in......I talk to myself in my head always have and I talk outloud to myself sometimes too.....its normal to me whatever normal is....

Peace

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I do all this too.....I often have imaginary conversations with people, quite often famous people..
I used to do this all the time when I was younger. I mostly did it with fictional characters though. I told my friend about it, (because I was a little afraid that it was really strange behavior) and she did seem to think that it was incredibly weird. Then she told her dad about it and later reported back to me that he apparently did the same thing when he was younger.

As for talking out-loud and making hand gestures, as long you can snap out of it when someone starts talking to you, I don't really see what the big deal is. It's when you're unable to rejoin reality that it can be a problem. At least that's my take on it.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Pffftt... Talking to yourself is so last year. You should do what I do. I talk to the people who live in my brain. There's at least 6 of them. Sometimes they invite their families over so I have a whole party going on in there.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
It's only mental illness if you don't realize the conversations are coming from your head OR if it is distressing to you and instructing you to do things you don't want to. Like if you think the other side of the conversation is coming from the lamppost or the tea kettle or aliens who are talking to you through your fillings... or you know it's yourself talking but the conversations are instructing you to harm yourself or others.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I sometimes wonder in what way I would talk to myself in my brain if I never learned any Human language. I'm certain I would still talk to myself, but it would be in a way that is totally Alien to me now, cause I've been corrupted by learning and depending on a Human created language.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.