VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I do this a lot too. Unless I'm talking to someone I think I'm "in my head" more than I'm in the real world. I'll replay conversations, think about what I'm going to say to someone, think about what I should have said, or sometimes I'll just think about scenes from movies or tv shows. I try not say anything out-loud when I'm thinking to myself, but I've noticed that sometimes I'll whisper or talk quietly. I'll also make some gestures if I'm a little too caught up in it. I've had people call me on it, and I always get pretty embarrassed. I try not to act this way in public, but there have been times when I've smiled or kind of laughed at something I was thinking about....and it really seems to weird some people out. I've had people look at me like I was crazy even after I explained that I was just thinking about something funny. I guess some people just don't do it at all... I've always been this way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Sometimes I think that maybe it's because I'm a writer at heart and always thinking of dialogue in my head.
Same here. I even used to walk around the playground alone and just think about stories I wanted to write.

Quote:
I was an only child, so it's a habit that has carried on into adulthood.
For me I think it's more of a personality trait because I have siblings. My younger brother does a lot of daydreaming as well, but I don't think my older one does.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Do you think it's a sign of mental illness, or a positive attribute?
I see it as a personality type, maybe one of the rarer ones. It just means you're more introspective, imaginative, and you like to have things planned out. I'm not impulsive at all, so I like to think about things for awhile before I act.

I definitely don't see it as an illness.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

As long as you have control over your internal voice and knows its you, you should be fine. When you lose control... thats when you become schizo.
Yea, I think as long as you know you're talking to yourself (and not some random voice) there's no harm in it. It might be sort of unusual, but that doesn't make a person crazy.

Anyway, don't they say the truly crazy don't know that they're crazy.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Digger, I think this is more normal than you think. I do it, and I know a lot of other people who do it too.
Come to think of it, I used to work with this girl who would talk out loud to herself when she was performing certain tasks. Oddly enough, I thought it was really weird. I guess because she was being loud about it? I don't know. I'm such a hypocrite.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Well, I talk to myself in my head too I suppose. I think that's completely normal. However, I make up little scenes in my head; all sorts of things and scenarios with me involved. I'm so often in my own little dream world that real life surprises me haha. When I'm walking along the street for example, and a car beeps, I always jump out of my skin because I was so far away somewhere in my head. Sometimes I get real life & my life inside my head mixed up.
I think this is just having an overactive imagination. I can relate to this in a way. I don't get real life and my imagination mixed up though. Some people are just "in their heads" more than others. It may not be normal, but I for one, do not care about being normal. Technically, being introverted isn't "normal" because (as far as I know) there are far more extroverts in the world.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I do all this too.....I often have imaginary conversations with people, quite often famous people..
I used to do this all the time when I was younger. I mostly did it with fictional characters though. I told my friend about it, (because I was a little afraid that it was really strange behavior) and she did seem to think that it was incredibly weird. Then she told her dad about it and later reported back to me that he apparently did the same thing when he was younger.

As for talking out-loud and making hand gestures, as long you can snap out of it when someone starts talking to you, I don't really see what the big deal is. It's when you're unable to rejoin reality that it can be a problem. At least that's my take on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts