VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talk to myself in my head...

In fact, I do it quite often. Sometimes I replay conversations that I've already had, thinking of ways I could have responded better, and sometimes I rehearse future conversations that I would like to have, or anticipate having, trying to find the best words to use. Assuming I might even get the chance to say them. Sometimes I even rehearse future forum postings in my head while I'm at the grocery store or sitting in class.

I've done this ever since I was a kid and maybe it's because I was a loner and didn't have many friends to talk to when I was young, but seriously... I now fully understand why people talk to themselves on park benches. Several times at the bus stop now I have caught myself having these conversations 'out loud' and even with hand gestures. Sometimes I think that maybe it's because I'm a writer at heart and always thinking of dialogue in my head.

But other times... it scares me and I think maybe I am just crazy.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the responses. Do you think it's a sign of mental illness, or a positive attribute?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think that maybe there's a difference between 'thinking' and having conversations in your head.

That's what I am worried about.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I talk to myself in my head, out loud, (hell, I am the only one who listens to what I say) second guess myself and have arguments with myself. I think this stems from being pretty much a loner most of my life and not having anyone to talk to. I murder to myself with people around and they are like what I have to respond nothing just talking to myself.
Dexter, is that you?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Yep I do this all the time also. I've caught myself talking to myself in public a bunch of times. The good thing about being in a store and people thinking you are crazy is that they move their carts out of your way and give you plenty of aisle space
Oh... I do apreciate that.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Well I thought everyone did that. But if not, then at least I'll be a nutcase with you.
I can't believe that I'm saying this... but you SS make me feel normal.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Just do not pace around muttering to yourself in the mental ward. They tend to keep you in longer. I know from experience.
Have I told you lately how much I love you?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

Well, I talk to myself in my head too I suppose. I think that's completely normal. However, I make up little scenes in my head; all sorts of things and scenarios with me involved. I'm so often in my own little dream world that real life surprises me haha. When I'm walking along the street for example, and a car beeps, I always jump out of my skin because I was so far away somewhere in my head.
Sometimes I get real life & my life inside my head mixed up. I am odd.
Yeah you're f-cked up dude.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
All joking aside, this thread has made me feel much better. It didn't bother me as much when it was all just in my head. I chalked it up to social awkwardness, being alone too much, etc. But when I found myself actually mouthing the words in public and using hand gestures, I kinda began to worry.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Like if you think the other side of the conversation is coming from the lamppost or the tea kettle or aliens who are talking to you through your fillings...
Uh oh.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I'm so glad to read/hear that many of us do the same thing and that I shouldn't commit myself to the sanitorium just yet. But at the same time, I want to make sure that we are speaking of the same thing? I'm not just talking about the occasional 'now that was a stupid thing to do' that we say to ourselves in the kitchen and so forth... I'm talking about a constant and perpetual monologue in my brain that is sometimes out loud and persistently preoccupies my brain. I have more conversations in my head than I have in real life, and that is what concerned me.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Cool... I don't feel like quite a freak after all. A freak, yes, but not quite so much of one.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowseathumans View Post

I talk to myself about scenerios that will never happen.
Yes... me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post

Trust me, not only is it normal, but it is healthy to some extent.
After reading the responses to this thread I'm now wondering if it isn't the talking to myself that is the problem, but my worrying about whether or not it is normal. I do think that the more time one spends being alone the more amplified the inner voice gets, and also that there is much truth to the phrase 'you really need to get a hobby'. I think I spend too much time reflecting and not enough time doing things that get me out of my head.

Anyway, thanks everybody!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by _charlotte_ View Post

I think I'm turning into the drunk at the park bench, except I'm not a drunk, so just a strange person then I guess.
Oh well then that's your problem. You have to be a drunk like me to do it right!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by _charlotte_ View Post

Sometimes I sing a little too, so the beer bottle is all that is missing. I might get there, I'm still young!
Well okay then, you have something to work toward. Forget the beer though. It needs to be Mad Dog 20/20 or Thunderbird to get the proper effect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts