VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talk to myself in my head...

In fact, I do it quite often. Sometimes I replay conversations that I've already had, thinking of ways I could have responded better, and sometimes I rehearse future conversations that I would like to have, or anticipate having, trying to find the best words to use. Assuming I might even get the chance to say them. Sometimes I even rehearse future forum postings in my head while I'm at the grocery store or sitting in class.

I've done this ever since I was a kid and maybe it's because I was a loner and didn't have many friends to talk to when I was young, but seriously... I now fully understand why people talk to themselves on park benches. Several times at the bus stop now I have caught myself having these conversations 'out loud' and even with hand gestures. Sometimes I think that maybe it's because I'm a writer at heart and always thinking of dialogue in my head.

But other times... it scares me and I think maybe I am just crazy.

Anyone else do this?

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Yes.

I was an only child, so it's a habit that has carried on into adulthood. I also generally work alone, so that doesn't help anything. I can't concentrate on anything without having a running commentary in my head about what I am doing or need to get done.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I do this a lot too. Unless I'm talking to someone I think I'm "in my head" more than I'm in the real world. I'll replay conversations, think about what I'm going to say to someone, think about what I should have said, or sometimes I'll just think about scenes from movies or tv shows. I try not say anything out-loud when I'm thinking to myself, but I've noticed that sometimes I'll whisper or talk quietly. I'll also make some gestures if I'm a little too caught up in it. I've had people call me on it, and I always get pretty embarrassed. I try not to act this way in public, but there have been times when I've smiled or kind of laughed at something I was thinking about....and it really seems to weird some people out. I've had people look at me like I was crazy even after I explained that I was just thinking about something funny. I guess some people just don't do it at all... I've always been this way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Sometimes I think that maybe it's because I'm a writer at heart and always thinking of dialogue in my head.
Same here. I even used to walk around the playground alone and just think about stories I wanted to write.

Quote:
I was an only child, so it's a habit that has carried on into adulthood.
For me I think it's more of a personality trait because I have siblings. My younger brother does a lot of daydreaming as well, but I don't think my older one does.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:

Do you think it's a sign of mental illness, or a positive attribute?
I see it as a personality type, maybe one of the rarer ones. It just means you're more introspective, imaginative, and you like to have things planned out. I'm not impulsive at all, so I like to think about things for awhile before I act.

I definitely don't see it as an illness.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I talk to myself in my head, out loud, (hell, I am the only one who listens to what I say) second guess myself and have arguments with myself. I think this stems from being pretty much a loner most of my life and not having anyone to talk to. I murder to myself with people around and they are like what I have to respond nothing just talking to myself.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I talk to myself in my head, out loud, (hell, I am the only one who listens to what I say) second guess myself and have arguments with myself. I think this stems from being pretty much a loner most of my life and not having anyone to talk to. I murder to myself with people around and they are like what I have to respond nothing just talking to myself.
Dexter, is that you?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:

Honestly SS yeah I'm a bit worried about that. I don't know may people in real life who do what I do.
As long as you have control over your internal voice and knows its you, you should be fine. When you lose control... thats when you become schizo.

·
Registered
806 Posts
So long as it doesn't start tell you to hurt people
But just to be safe, can you delete my number from your cellphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Caw View Post

Isn't this called thinking? My brain never shuts the **** up.
Same here... If I have an argument with somebody, or even an extremely good day, I'll sit in bed trying to go to sleep and I keep re-running over the day. Sometimes I have to turn the tv on just to shut my brain up

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I too, don't think this is unusual in any way. In fact, I think it's just part of the human experience. Even the munchkins I work with (all under age 5) will replay conversations in their head (or sometimes out loud).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

As long as you have control over your internal voice and knows its you, you should be fine. When you lose control... thats when you become schizo.
Yea, I think as long as you know you're talking to yourself (and not some random voice) there's no harm in it. It might be sort of unusual, but that doesn't make a person crazy.

Anyway, don't they say the truly crazy don't know that they're crazy.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.