VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eating a health-oriented vegan diet (except for fish oil, which my doctor says I need). I was at 217 pounds and want to get to 180 - 185. I've been doing yoga and cardio vascular exercise 3 - 5 days a week. I'm at 209 now.

My goal is not to get the weight off. My goal is to be at my ideal weight of 180 - 185 for a year and then set new goals at that time. Getting the weight off will only be a milestone. If I had never turned veg and had continued on the fast food/junk diet, I certainly would weight much, much more. My older brother is very large. I got a glimpse of his ID. It listed his weight at 290 pounds.

My family is predisposed to heart disease and stroke. At my last checkup, my cholesterol was high, despite my being a vegetarian. That's when I decided to go vegan except for fish oil. The doctor said fish oil would raise my good cholesterol. I regard that as medicine, and the stakes are very high. I do not want heart disease or a stroke. So the goal is to get to and stay at my ideal weight and to get my cholesterol way down. At that time, I'll try flax seed oil and see if my numbers remain good. If so, I'll stick with that. If not, I'll go back to the fish oil.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
31 Posts
Good luck and stay motivated!

In your case green superfoods (wheatgrass, algea+ the like) would do wonders as they are full of nutrients and would help you to stay filled and loose weight sustainably. Green smoothies would help, too.
I lost 20 pounds when I went vegan, that was very easy. I was not big, of course, but now 10+ years later I have stayed in perfect shape with ideal weight with no effort just healthy veg food. I practice yoga also and some daily outdoor activities- mainly walks, cycles or roller blade.

Make sure to gently detox and stimulate your liver because toxin full liver will not permit you to loose weight fast. You can use Castor oil applications for that and green smoothies. You can read more on my info site as this is a bit long topic.
The heart disease of your family probably is mainly linked that you all were sharing unhealthy diet.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

I've been eating a health-oriented vegan diet (except for fish oil, which my doctor says I need). I was at 217 pounds and want to get to 180 - 185. I've been doing yoga and cardio vascular exercise 3 - 5 days a week. I'm at 209 now.

My goal is not to get the weight off. My goal is to be at my ideal weight of 180 - 185 for a year and then set new goals at that time. Getting the weight off will only be a milestone. If I had never turned veg and had continued on the fast food/junk diet, I certainly would weight much, much more. My older brother is very large. I got a glimpse of his ID. It listed his weight at 290 pounds.

My family is predisposed to heart disease and stroke. At my last checkup, my cholesterol was high, despite my being a vegetarian. That's when I decided to go vegan except for fish oil. The doctor said fish oil would raise my good cholesterol. I regard that as medicine, and the stakes are very high. I do not want heart disease or a stroke. So the goal is to get to and stay at my ideal weight and to get my cholesterol way down. At that time, I'll try flax seed oil and see if my numbers remain good. If so, I'll stick with that. If not, I'll go back to the fish oil.
if you're concerned about your lipid levels, have a look at the doctor who's helping bill clinton. google caldwell esselstyn. check out his videos. congrats on your weight loss.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

I've been eating a health-oriented vegan diet (except for fish oil, which my doctor says I need). I was at 217 pounds and want to get to 180 - 185. I've been doing yoga and cardio vascular exercise 3 - 5 days a week. I'm at 209 now.

My goal is not to get the weight off. My goal is to be at my ideal weight of 180 - 185 for a year and then set new goals at that time. Getting the weight off will only be a milestone. If I had never turned veg and had continued on the fast food/junk diet, I certainly would weight much, much more. My older brother is very large. I got a glimpse of his ID. It listed his weight at 290 pounds.

My family is predisposed to heart disease and stroke. At my last checkup, my cholesterol was high, despite my being a vegetarian. That's when I decided to go vegan except for fish oil. The doctor said fish oil would raise my good cholesterol. I regard that as medicine, and the stakes are very high. I do not want heart disease or a stroke. So the goal is to get to and stay at my ideal weight and to get my cholesterol way down. At that time, I'll try flax seed oil and see if my numbers remain good. If so, I'll stick with that. If not, I'll go back to the fish oil.
That's AWESOME! Go for it, you're doing GREAT! I happen to use myfitnesspal.com to track my food and exercise, (my username is tapwaters, incase you join and want to be friends). I'm 5'3 and weighed 230lbs at my heaviest, i flip between 150-130 at the moment.

Anyway! Good luck! Keep us updated!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
I'm just curious if Algea DHA's were ever mentioned. I realize fish oil contains the omega 3 in the DHA form, but from researching it, it's from the fish eating the algea.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Ck%3Aalgae+dha

I'm just curious about it myself, not dissing you for it. Heck, I'm still taking the D3 I bought before I was convinced D2 was as good!

I second the recommendation of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn--Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Saved a co-workers life.
He does a lot of speaking tours--check for your area. His son, Rip Esselstyn, wrote the Engine 2 Diet. Very heart concious, but not as restrictive, nor for those with active heart issues.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

That's AWESOME! Go for it, you're doing GREAT! I happen to use myfitnesspal.com to track my food and exercise, (my username is tapwaters, incase you join and want to be friends). I'm 5'3 and weighed 230lbs at my heaviest, i flip between 150-130 at the moment.

Anyway! Good luck! Keep us updated!!
congrats on your weight loss. that's really tremendous.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I'm just curious if Algea DHA's were ever mentioned. I realize fish oil contains the omega 3 in the DHA form, but from researching it, it's from the fish eating the algea.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...Ck%3Aalgae+dha

I'm just curious about it myself, not dissing you for it. Heck, I'm still taking the D3 I bought before I was convinced D2 was as good!

I second the recommendation of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn--Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Saved a co-workers life.
He does a lot of speaking tours--check for your area. His son, Rip Esselstyn, wrote the Engine 2 Diet. Very heart concious, but not as restrictive, nor for those with active heart issues.
Thanks for the info. The plan is to get the weight off and keep exercising, then switch to flax seed oil and see if it works as well. If it does, I'll go with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because this is serious business. The doctor said my cholesterol was dangerous so I'm taking his advice. It's gonna be vegan except for fish oil and cardiovascular exercise until I'm out of danger. Then, and only then, can I experiment to see if flax oil will work as well. Heart disease and stroke run in my family, and I just lost an uncle to stroke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
I've read that the algae is actually the form of DHA that your body can process the best. Flax is not as readily processed as fish oil or algae. I don't have a source, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere if you're interested.

Have you tried a nutrition calculator? I lost weight pretty consistently when I remembered to enter every single thing that went into my mouth. When I was being held accountable for it, suddenly the extra snack here or there didn't seem so necessary.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
take a look at esselstyn's work. those angiograms before and after are extremely impressive. i think he does have his heart patients on statins. he doesn't like the fish oil (ornish does).

i really question whether we need those supplements. i'm more in mcdougal's camp. if you eat a wide variety of vegetables and fruits and grains, i don't think you'd really need to supplement more than b-12. there are trace amounts of fats in these, and that's really all you need. contrast this diet with a diet where you're pouring fats (and concentrated oils) into your system.

if you have low ldl's, do you necessarily need high hdl's?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
another thing is that while the numbers are a guideline, they're not an end all. i've seen people with good numbers wind up having bypasses. i've decided to forego all that. my personal hero is dr. esselstyn. i'd rather have my body undo all these years of western diet, rather than have it surgically done.

the way medicine treats this, symptomatically rather than the root cause, is damn near criminal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

what would be really great is if the demand for food changed so much that fast food corporations, like mcdonalds, were forced to offer fast, healthy, vegan meals in order to survive
.

The sad thing is, there would be much controversy and in-fighting in the veg*n community over giving our business to such places even if they had suitable options.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

I just lost an uncle to stroke.
that's terribly sad. the truth his he's probably one of the luckier ones. can you imagine half your body not working, and you can't swallow worth a damn?
i see that more than you'd think. of course, medicine has a soultion. stick a tube in your belly and they'll pump liquid food into you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post


The sad thing is, there would be much controversy and in-fighting in the veg*n community over giving our business to such places even if they had suitable options.
let 'em fight. there will always be a purist minority. can you imagine how much less meat/milk/egg would be consumed? that's the bigger picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Congratulations on your decision to have a healthier lifestyle.

I have found that adding lots of real food in the form of raw fruits and veggies, particularly dark leafy greens has revolutionized my health. I don't add oils to my diet much. Am more likely to grind whole flax seeds as you get better nutrition that way than using just the extracted oil.

This may seem obvious, so forgive me if that is the case, but eliminating processed foods including fake meats and such and staying away from concentrated sugars will usually make a big difference in your bad cholesterol levels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebra View Post

eliminating processed foods including fake meats and such and staying away from concentrated sugars will usually make a big difference in your bad cholesterol levels.
I just wanted to emphasize this... There is growing evidence (or more accurately a more objective review of previous evidence) that sugar and refined carbohydrates increase VLDL, which is measured as a part of LDL but seems to be more responsible for cardiovascular disease than LDL in and of itself. Doctors and most nutritionists are not on the bandwagon. I personally would suggest INCREASING your intake of certain fats, like nuts and coconut, while eliminating your consumption of sweets. If you're not willing to go against the grain and ignore the gov't standard, which is what most doctors and nutritionists preach, then at the very least concentrate on getting rid of processed carbohydrates and concentrated fructose, namely sugar, corn syrup, honey, agave nectar, etc. It's no secret that sweets are bad for you, but from what I've read, I firmly believe that these things are far more dangerous than most people suspect.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top