VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't eaten meat in a year, and I've been vegan for two months and I feel like it's killing me! AHHHH! For some reason this helpless urge to devour meat and cheese and eggs and yummy yummy omlets and *shiver* what do I do? I haven't slipped yet but I'm afraid I will. Any tips, or do I just suck it up and continue on my way?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Maybe you should eat some.

First, you'll just go crazy if you try to discipline yourself. It never works for me.

Second, labels are just that: labels. Who cares??

Third, if you really have been vegan for 2 months, eating some will probably feel REAL bad in your stomach so you'll have learned your lesson! No more yummy omlet phantasies after that!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree. I am vegan, but just made some left over Kraft Mac 'n Cheese - one of my favorite comfort food. So I ate a couple of bites. Big deal. I'm not creating any more suffering because I already had the boxes in the cupboard before being Vegan. I won't do it again. Who cares. There are no Vegan police. If you want some, have some. Each step that you make in your Vegan path eliminates some suffering. If you deny yourself it will just be worse. If it tastes great, then enjoy it a couple of times a year. You will probably find that you lose your taste for it (as luckily, I have lost my taste for Mac 'n Cheese - it didn't taste very good and really did a number on my stomach).

There is no reason to be miserable, and no one is perfect. It is all a journey. Eat some now, if you want.....who knows? Maybe next time you won't want it!

EquiPro

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Must agree with the above -- after about my first year of being veg I had a bite of corned beef that my dad was making because I'd been craving it, and it was pretty disgusting. Haven't had those cravings since.

Incidentally, I've recently tried to cut out cheese -- I'm about 2 1/2 weeks into it, but I had some cheese today & my stomach isn't very happy with me. It'll make avoiding it in the future much easier. I'd bet the best thing you can do right now is give in.

And hell, if you enjoy it, who cares? It's not like suddenly you can't be a vegan anymore because you cheated once.

And if your cravings are insane, you might look over your diet and make sure you're getting enough of what you need (fats & such), just in case.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes - also, I was thinking that you might check and see where you are in your menstral cycle. I used to get really bad cravings for meat about 1 week before I was due to start each month.

BTW, I feel really nauseous from eating that Mac-n-Cheese. It feels awful. I definitely won't go there again. I can't imagine how I would feel if I ate a steak.

I am 1 month in to Veganism, btw. That was the first real craving that I have had. I really wanted it, but I don't now!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Yes, I gave in and ate some meat a few times. It never was good like I thought it would be, like it was reallygreasy and fleshy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is just a thought, but: what are you eating? I've been veggie for many years and, quite frankly, a lot of the food can range from boring to disgusting (especially vegan fare). Is it possible you are not getting enough protein in your diet and/or you are bored with what you are eating and not getting any satisfaction from it? If so, I would suggest getting a couple of new cookbooks -- it's amazing how many there are now, and good ones at that! (I saw one recently called something like the "Veggie Meat and Potatoes" cookbook which might be just what you need).

·
Registered
0 Posts
My spouse used to love eating scrambled eggs and omelettes. Scrambled tofu satisfies all of his cravings, now. There are a hell of a lot of really decent meat subs on the market, too. Gimme Lean, Yves Veggie Dogs, etc... Joanne Stepaniak's books have fantastic recipes for seitan and fake cheese, as well.

I agree with some of what's already been said. If you've been vegan for a bit and eat meat now, you could very well get an upset stomach. Same with dairy products. When I first cut out dairy and had some a few times months later, I ended up bloated and feeling nauseous all day.

I guess the thing to remember is that there are no hard rules when it comes to cutting out animal products. You're not on a diet that's "the boss of you"; you're making choices for yourself and you have to be comfortable with them. If cutting them out altogether is truly in the cards for you, then it'll come in time. In the meantime, get busy and explore all of the substitutes out there.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
You're body is probably not getting something it needs. If you think dairy will take care of it then I say go for it but there's really no need to go all the way back to eating meat, especially if you don't really want to.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Valerie747, I think it is best not to give in...especially to eating meat. Vegetarians don't eat meat, just because they have a craving, if they do...they are no longer vegetarians.

There are some tasty fake meats out there...eat all you want!

But please leave the real meat to the Omnis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You became a vegetarian and eventually a vegan because you had a strong, noble desire to do so. It may help to think back and go over the various reasons that led you to this way of life. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would have to agree with the time of the month thing. I noticed in my cycle, I was craving red meats. I didnt even really eat red meat much, even when I was a meat eater.

But from time to time, my cycle took over. I think it was the iron. I do believe, that if you go back to eating meat, you may kick yourself later. But if you are deficient in something such as protein or minerals, you need to satisfy your bodies needs

**DONT IGNORE THE BODY SIGNALS**

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i'd say do what you want and need to do. If it is causing you suffering to not eat these products, then it's not doing anyone any good.

i think that the main purpose for my being is to end suffering--my own and others. one of the outcomes or decisions from this idea is that i do not eat meat, and that i'm careful abotu where eggs come from (as i'm ovo vegetarian). i try to reduce suffering. But if these dietary restrictions cause *me* suffering, then it really isn't doing what it is supposed to do.

mushroom is right, if you do "give in" and eat meat, you're not a vegetarian, but that's ok too. I know lots of compassionate omnivores--there are so many ways to have a compassionate diet and lifestyle. Not all ways are compassionate, but there are many other than vegan.

so, either way, i wouldn't worry about it, you'll find the right path for you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree with zoebird. You have to do what's best for you. Be true to yourself. Personally, I have found that when I have given into my cravings (which I've done several times) that it has only made me that much more dedicated to not consuming animal products.

A good thing to do would be to keep a journal. Be totally honest with yourself in it and I bet you'll find your way.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I would say if you're going to take a step back, make it a step back to vegetarianism, not to being omni. Morningstar "hot dogs" and Boca "smoked sausage" taste REAL if you want a meat flavor (but have egg products in them -- at least, I'm pretty sure the Boca does too). Although I haven't had them for years, there are some "chicken" patties that taste good if not exactly like the original.

BTW, I understand still craving these things -- I wish I was one of those vegans who could say that meat and cheese don't sound good to me, but they do. Especially cheese. I have been vegan for a little less than one month, and it's going great -- but I've had it in the back of my mind that I could possibly revert to lacto if it doesn't "work out." Actually I don't think I will (the support from this board helps a lot!), but I wouldn't kick myself in the a** if I did.

I definitely agree that you should try a bunch of new foods and see how you react to them. Actually I find the challenge of creating vegan meals to be fun! I had a good time going to the grocery and splurging on every single vegan item that appealed to me.

Also (I haven't done this yet) I want to experiment with recipes that create creamy sauces, etc., that might help satisfy that dairy craving. I finally like soymilk, so that's a plus! And plenty of vegan margarine on my veggies.

If you do decide to eat eggs or dairy, I'd look into local sources -- or at least whether your grocery has an organic dairy case (mine does). I know it's no guarantee that it's cruelty-free, but still ....

Well, I don't know if you should be taking advice from me anyway, since you've been vegan for a month longer than I have!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like tomjoe32's thoughtful response. You should stop and think about why you went vegan. If those reasons are still true, then you should rededicate yourself to it.

I would also make sure you have a balanced diet -- really, though. And also start making vegan foods that satisfy your cravings. There are a lot of faux meats and cheeses. The best parmesan is "Soymage Vegan Parmesan." Hard, melty cheeses are the killers! Most are pretty lousy. I'd suggest "EarthKind" or it's called "FollowYourHeart" vegan cheeses. So far, these are the best. They need some work, but combined with foods, they make excellent subs. Also, "Tofutti" American slices are really, really great for grilled cheese sandwiches and for vegan cheeseburgers.

The "EarthKind/FollowYourHeart" is on the pricey side, but it might help with the cravings.

Eventually, many vegans find that cravings diminish quite a bit after time. Your body is used to certain foods; combine that with the emotional connections to comfort foods like cheese, icecream, etc., and most people are doomed! There are also claims of real physically addicting components of some dairy.

I do not crave cheese or any dairy ever, but actually crave vegan cheeses! I swear, it's true. My favorite one to make is from a book, "The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook." If you want, I can pm it to you; but it's not a clone, it's a substitute.

And my favorite storebought brands are the ones I named -- the parmesan, good stuff!; the American; and the "EarthKind" varieties of hard cheeses. Luckily, I can get it here so I don't have to order it via internet, but

here is the link: "EarthKind/FollowYourHeart":http://www.imearthkind.bigstep.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have been veggie for seven years and still occasionally get cravings for meat, although VERY infrequently. however, i second the opinion that a reevaluation of reasons you went veg*n in the first place really helps. i know it does for me!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Umm, my advice is to do what you want. There's no one to stop you. But if you don't feel as though you can eat meat or cheese, you can try substitutes. Most cheese subs are either non-vegan or taste crap, or both, or so I've heard. But there's a book out there called "The uncheese cookbook" It might be worth a look. And fake meats might be worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts