VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About six-years ago, when I first bought my house, I commented to a neighbor, how beautiful his elm trees were, and said, if he ever had a sapling come up that he didn't want, he could give it to me. Sure enough, 6-years later, he came over the other day with a little elm tree in a pot and said, "I didn't forget you!" So I've planted it to the side of the house, where it will have plenty of room. I'm so looking forward to see it get big.

·
Registered
245 Posts
how exciting!
my grandpa has some trees he planted about 30years ago and now they are HUGE

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Congratulations!

Trees are so nice to have in the yard. I am happy that you got an elm. What a nice neighbor, too!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a little worried. It's been raining like crazy since I planted it, and it looks like it's not doing so well. In the morning, I'm going to put some kind of shelter over it, 'cause there's more rain coming. I'm afraid it might be drowning.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's cool! I planted an oak tree in my parents' front yard about 20 years ago and it's now well over 50 feet tall. I love red maples and red-flowering crepe myrtles too. Evergreen trees look great when it's been snowing!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

About six-years ago, when I first bought my house, I commented to a neighbor, how beautiful his elm trees were, and said, if he ever had a sapling come up that he didn't want, he could give it to me. Sure enough, 6-years later, he came over the other day with a little elm tree in a pot and said, "I didn't forget you!" So I've planted it to the side of the house, where it will have plenty of room. I'm so looking forward to see it get big.
How about posting a pic of it? I assume it's only a few inches tall.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yes! Please post a picture of the tree....ok, this is my garden so far...I am not done planting yet, but so far so good. It started out as 4ft x 8 ft, but as you can see, it has an addition already.
Its now 4ft x 14ft.. and I could actually use more space, but ran out of soil, lumber & money.

Post your gardens & trees! Come on, they are awesome to see!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the tree. This was taken through the plastic tent I put over it. The poor little thing had so much rain on it, its leaves went totally limp, and I thought it would die. They've opened up again, but it's clearly suffered some damage. I'm going to keep the shelter over it for now- it gets plenty of air and sunlight- but there's more rain coming and I want to keep it as dry as possible. It's been a crazy wet spring. Any ideas about what more I can do for it will be welcome.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Be sure to remove the plastic if it gets really sunny - the leaves might burn under the plastic.

Planting trees is cool. From the time I was in junior high, my mother had me planting trees here - usually about a dozen a year. Now I'm surrounded by tall trees I planted when I was young, and I'm still planting.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:

Here's the tree. This was taken through the plastic tent I put over it. The poor little thing had so much rain on it, its leaves went totally limp, and I thought it would die. They've opened up again, but it's clearly suffered some damage. I'm going to keep the shelter over it for now- it gets plenty of air and sunlight- but there's more rain coming and I want to keep it as dry as possible. It's been a crazy wet spring. Any ideas about what more I can do for it will be welcome.

That's an awesome tree! I love the color of the leaves. Are Elms fast growers?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

Yes! Please post a picture of the tree....ok, this is my garden so far...I am not done planting yet, but so far so good. It started out as 4ft x 8 ft, but as you can see, it has an addition already.
Its now 4ft x 14ft.. and I could actually use more space, but ran out of soil, lumber & money.

Post your gardens & trees! Come on, they are awesome to see!
That's pretty cool, cowgirrl. What have you planted?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Be sure to remove the plastic if it gets really sunny - the leaves might burn under the plastic.

Planting trees is cool. From the time I was in junior high, my mother had me planting trees here - usually about a dozen a year. Now I'm surrounded by tall trees I planted when I was young, and I'm still planting.
Did I say, elm tree? My mistake. It's a maple, of course!

Yesterday was the first sunshine we've had in weeks, but it was very mild- only into the 50s. Now it's overcast and drizzly again. One way or another, I want this little guy to make it.

Below are the "parents." My neighbor has his house up for sale. Too bad. He's a sweet guy. I'll miss him, if he goes.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:

That's pretty cool, cowgirrl. What have you planted?
Funny you should ask, I just happen to have a list

butternut squash
Fresno peppers
calif wonder green bell peppers
ivory bell peppers
red bell peppers
yellow bell peppers
poblano peppers
big Jim new Mexico peppers
sage
lemon thyme
lemon cucumbers
English cucumbers
watermelon
cantaloupe
pumpkins
zucchini
Mr. stripey tomatoes
celebrity tomatoes
yellow pear tomatoes
big boy early tomatoes
beefsteak tomatoes
patty pan squash
and a mystery tomato

still need to replant radishes, kale, corn, carrots, chives, lettuce, chard, fennel, snapdragons &
sunflowers .

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quote:

Did I say, elm tree? My mistake. It's a maple, of course!

Yesterday was the first sunshine we've had in weeks, but it was very mild- only into the 50s. Now it's overcast and drizzly again. One way or another, I want this little guy to make it.

Below are the "parents." My neighbor has his house up for sale. Too bad. He's a sweet guy. I'll miss him, if he goes.

Maple or Elm, its a very nice tree. I hope it doesn't drown. I am worried about monsoon season and the hail here...

OK his parents are amazing! Wow.

Sad to see a good neighbor go. My neighbors lost thier home and its been empty now for 2 years.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Funny you should ask, I just happen to have a list

butternut squash
Fresno peppers
calif wonder green bell peppers
ivory bell peppers
red bell peppers
yellow bell peppers
poblano peppers
big Jim new Mexico peppers
sage
lemon thyme
lemon cucumbers
English cucumbers
watermelon
cantaloupe
pumpkins
zucchini
Mr. stripey tomatoes
celebrity tomatoes
yellow pear tomatoes
big boy early tomatoes
beefsteak tomatoes
patty pan squash
and a mystery tomato

still need to replant radishes, kale, corn, carrots, chives, lettuce, chard, fennel, snapdragons &
sunflowers .
Wow. You have all that in two boxes? Awesome!

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Maple or Elm, its a very nice tree. I hope it doesn't drown. I am worried about monsoon season and the hail here...

OK his parents are amazing! Wow.

Sad to see a good neighbor go. My neighbors lost thier home and its been empty now for 2 years.
May I ask, where are you that there are monsoons?

I was really taken by these trees. I never really thought he'd give me one!

Sorry about your neighbors. What a waste: a house empty for so long. Something not right about that.

How's Sammy doing?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts