VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Siobhan and I'm new to this site. I never really thought about joining a forum to help me out, for 6 years I've struggled with my diet on my own. I am currently vegetarian and have been since being a teenager. I really want to go Vegan. I want to cut out dairy and eggs as I just don't want to be part of the meat trade at all. My problem that has stopped me is the big obstacles I'm trying to face. My friends are all meat eaters and we eat out a lot. Anything vegetarian is loaded with cheese, I struggle to find anything vegan in restaurants. I live with my parents and they are quite old-fashioned and refuse to believe vegan-ism is healthy. 3rd, I can't explain my beliefs without anyone thinking I'm preaching to them, when I'm not I'm trying to explain and educate why I am the way I am. It really gets me down sometimes.
I'm sorry to moan on my first ever post to this website. I guess I have come here in my search for support.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Eating out with omnis will always be tough. What I do is compromise with them. Sometimes I'll go to their omni restaurants and not eat, or order a green salad. Other times they'll actually come to vegan restaurants.

I did have a string of moments when all we went to was omni restaurants, and I just had to not eat or order a boring salad.

At least that is my experience when eating out with omnis. I also started to keep lara bars and almonds with me. Decent calories to last me till I can get some decent veg grub in mah tummeh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can understand where you are coming from. My family gives me a hard time for how "unhealthy" they think it is. I try to give them literature or websites to study just what it is I am doing. They refuse to educate themselves. However, this is their opinion. If you feel strongly about what you are doing then you should continue. This lifestyle isn't easy in the sense that people give you a lot of shi* about it. But it is easy once you study a bit. Call around to places you and your friends usually go. See what they offer that you can eat. If they are really your friends they will compromise with you. And KrisMTL's suggestion to always have snacks with you is a great idea!!
Its hard for those who eat meat to understand what you are doing, why you are doing it, and how you can continue to do it. But just keep at it! You will learn to navigate around and make compromises with your friends. VB is a great place to look for support and advice. You don't have to feel like you are "moaning" when you need advice!! Just ask!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Support is what this site is here for... moan away.

As a vegan, the vegetarian with cheese items are what I try to seek out. At a restaurant, I don't want to make a list of changes to an order... Simply saying "I'll have the _________, but without the cheese... Thanks!" ...is so much easier.

You should really try a cheese-less pizza! And, "Fresco Style" for any Taco Bell item (like a bean burrito or potato soft taco) automatically removes the cheese and replaces it with a veg salsa without seeming weird! At Subway with the Veggie Delight, just say "No cheese." It's yummers!

At restaurants, don't forget that they'll let you made a meal out of an appetizer or side dishes. Anything on the menu is yours for the ordering. Also, the wait staff wants your tip. They know that if they can "make it your way" you'll likely reward them (and please do!).

As far as being preachy goes... you'll find your niche. There's a sweet spot between preachy and don't care. It's hard to find. You'll find it. Personally, I find that saying "We're about to eat food... Do you really what me to talk about the gory details NOW?!?!?!" works great. You don't have to get preachy, or even say anything, if they decide not to discuss it then. But, by deciding not to discuss it then, then they on some level acknowledge that the details really are horrible and gory, and they won't be able to enjoy their meal knowing the details. Score!

·
Registered
178 Posts
We're all here for you!

Some of us are newer to this than others and will have way more advice, but our support is always the same.

The only thing I can suggest in regards explaining yourself is... don't. What business is it of theirs?

I have never explained my actions. Unless pressed into a corner. I don't tell anyone, preach about it, wear a shirt with something on it announcing my lifestyle.... anything. I just keep myself to myself and go about my day. It just adds fuel to those that want to make a fire out of your beliefs.

There's nothing worse than a militant, preachy veg*n.

We all have our reasons and we're all here supporting the same cause, so you're amongst friends here. I'm new on this board - and in this lifestyle, too - so, you and I are in the same boat.

Welcome!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! My best advice is to find vegan friends. I don't mean that you should give up your non-vegan friends, but just that it might be helpful to find some other vegans. Then you feel less and less like the odd person out. When you know that you are not alone, it's easier to stick with it.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Well there's a huge difference in explaining why you're vegan and being militant and preachy! Most people really don't realize the disconnect they have of compassion and animals that are raised for food. While I haven't converted anyone, my conversations and sharing of food and recipes have changed their eating habits from automatically thinking meat has to play a part in dinner, and that protein can be had without it (in better quantities!).

I have to say the availability of cheese and egg filled meatless dishes in restaurants sometimes make me bitter towards vegetarians. Now I get the attitude that vegetarians are commended while vegans are just extremists. I only eat out if it's a special occasion, I can't afford it anyway.
You should contact the manager and explain that the same entrees for vegans apply to many diets. A dish can be offered as heart friendly and low calorie as well as vegan.
For the people you've already had conversations with and still failed, leave it alone. Nothing feels better than to be condemned and have others who hear you stick up for you. My proudest moments are when one person disses vegan food and others tell them how my lunches are better than theirs!

Never leave home without a vegan snack, we need trail mix every time we leave home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts