VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I've been looking into a supplament and the only one I found that had both was this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Ovega-3-Omega-...058309&sr=8-13
I haven't ordered it, need to watch money now, but even Deva doesn't have the EPA. I don't actually understand what EPA is anyway!
My husband takes that one. Both DHA and EPA are found in fish oil, so I think if you're looking for a vegan equivalent, something with both makes sense. I think that EPA is supposed to be the "active" form, but don't quote me on that.. I've been taking Deva DHA, but I might switch to the Ovega-3 when mine runs out. It's a higher dose, so I might take it less frequently. I'm currently taking 200mg DHA every 2-3 days (Mon, Wed, Fri).

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I take spirulina daily so I'm getting some that way. After all, I'm pretty sure most vegan brands of DHA and EPA are algae derived anyways. I also regularly (almost daily) consume hemp seeds and chia seeds which have omega 3's in them, although not the long forms.

EDIT: Yeah!
"However, fish do not naturally produce EPA, but obtain it from the algae they consume.[1] It is available to humans from some non-animal sources (e.g., commercially, from microalgae). Microalgae are being developed as a commercial source.[2] EPA is not usually found in higher plants, but it has been reported in trace amounts in purslane.[3] Microalgae, and supplements derived from it, are excellent alternative sources of EPA and other fatty acids, since fish often contain toxins due to pollution.[1]"

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I got Silk Heart healthy soymilk- it has algeal omega dha (how much? don't know) and is delicious!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

http://www.opti3omega.com/opti3.html ?
The looks fine to me. I don't think there's much evidence out there to recommend one over another, so I would probably choose based on price in the absence of recommendations from a physician or dietician. If you've been recommended a specific non-vegan supplement, perhaps you can compare the components with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts