VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone one reccomend any good books?

Not Vege based, either fiction or non fiction.

Ive been wanting to read "Manifactured consent"by Noame Choamsky, but i cant find it!

So what are some books you recommend, and why?

Danny

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
DannyKass,

Can you be any more specific? I mean... "fiction or nonfiction" is a pretty broad category. If you can't find Chomsky's "Manufactured Consent" you might try his book "Profit Over People" (unless, of course, you've already read it). Are your non-fiction books limited to the political? If so, I can send along a list on the subject.

Are you interested in a certain *country's* politics? Certain areas of history? Trends in history? Historical figures? Do you like non-historical/political nonfiction? If so, what kind of things are you curious about knowing?

In fiction, what kinds of stories do you like? Realistic fiction? Fantasy? Beat? Science-fiction? Magical-Realism? Horror? Young adult? Depressing? Funny? Classics? Silly funny? Uproariously funny? Detached funny? Cynical? Adventure? Mystery? Crime? Detective? Western? Bizarre? Fiction that comments on the world/politics/history/trends?

Do you like poetry?

I read pretty much every genre *except* romance (blech), so I could probably turn out some pretty decent lists if you could give a little clue as to what you're interested in. I read *all* the time!! (The librarians at most branches know me by name, and the ones at my college can check me out without looking at my card
). If I were just to recommend a bunch of books to you, the post would be about 10 times this long...

Mskedi

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Amazon has Manufactured Consent in stock. Also, The Chomsky Reader is a good one, if you haven't seen it already.

"Lies My Teacher Told Me" is a good read, although it's not as honest as it purports to be, it is not a hard read and still quite rewarding.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Here's a few that I have recently read. I highly recommend all of them

Stupid White Men - Michael Moore

Free The Animals - Ingrid Newkirk

Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser

The Cabinet of Curiosities - Douglas J. Preston

Mad Cowboy - Howard F. Lyman

The Cobra Event - Richard Preston

Into Thin Air (Mount Everest Disaster) Jon Krakauer

Wonderland Avenue - Danny Sugerman

In the Name of the Father - Gerry Conlon

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CharityAJO

I'd recommend anything by Bret Easton Ellis.
I LUUURRRVVVV Brett Easton Ellis! Except that he doesn't write very fast, so I guess that makes me kind of mad.

The Beach by Alex Garland is fantastic. Forget the movie even exists--it was a travesty.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt is also very good.

The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis is equally delicious. Highly recommended.

If you haven't read it yet, you really must read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It's a classic for a reason.

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is really good in kind of an off-the-wall way. I looked at the world a little differently after I read it.

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CharityAJO, forgive me, but, I just Do not get Hunter Thompson. I don't like him at all. I had a boyfriend who was obsessed with his writing. I didn't get him at all either. ????

----------------------------

I like to read anything non-fiction. The book i recommend to alot of people and have bought for many a friend, is Naturally Powerful by Valerie Wells.

May not be what you are looking for, but there's a lot to learn in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.