VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lot, just the extra that I'm holding on to. I'm not in the physical condition that I used to be, and I really want to get back to it. The only problem is, I'm not really sure how to do this. It's FREEZING here (literally, below zero for almost a week now), and I can't really do a lot of stuff inside. I guess my problem is fitting everything around my schedule: school from 8 to 2:30, play practice from 2:30 to 5, work from 5 to 9 most week days, and speech meets all day Saturdays. I do jumping jacks and stuff like that in the morning, but is there anything else that I can do?

Also, I have a problem with munching. I won't be hungry, but I'll think, "Oh, I've been good today," and eat some chocolate or a breadstick (I work at Fazoli's, and God only knows why I still eat the breadsticks), and then I just won't stop. Is there any way that I can prevent this habit?

Thanks a lot for reading this guys, it really does mean a lot. I got into a rut a few weeks ago, what with my busy schedule, all my homework, my dumb boss, etc... and I really started harping on myself about my body. But I realized I'm not really overweight; I'm just unhealthy. But I feel like I'll have to get healthy again and lose some of this before I feel totally happy again!
So I gotta whip myself into shape again!

·
Registered
240 Posts
That is tricky, and I've certainly felt in your position before, mainly when I was in high school and doing way too much, I just didn't have time for myself.

I guess that is my big advice for you - I was going to suggest that you get up earlier to exercise as it seems like your only free time, and would give you energy for your day. But you are so busy already that it doesn't seem like you can give up on an hour of sleep a night. So, I think my best advice is to cut something out and find some balance in your life, make TIME to be healthy, in other words. You may not be able to just cut out work three nights per week to go to the gym, but even something like doing a 30-minute yoga tape before bed or when you wake up might be an option. I would say think small changes - yoga or meditating, aiming to eat more fresh foods, etc. Little things can make a big difference in how you feel, and I think my overall suggestion would be to avoid taking on so much when you get the chance...it can be tempting to want to "do it all" but I think you sacrifice health and wellness when you try to. I've learned that cutting some things out of my life gives me more time for myself, and I feel much better as a result (I eat better, exercise, feel less stress, etc). Hope that helped...

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Well, there's nothing wrong with eating a little chocolate or breadstick. It's when you can't control the portion size that you have a problem. However, I'm not sure Fazoli's breadsticks are good for you in any amount!
If you can snag one before it gets slathered in butter, all the better.

Can you perform more active tasks at work? Standing behind the counter ringing people up all day is far less activity than washing tables and dishes. None of it will be very fun work, but you might want to see if you can up the exercize you get at work.

Do you have time at school to walk around a little between classes or after you eat lunch? Even a little extra stroll could help. And make sure you're drinking primarily water. It's a cheap or no-cost switch that's good for you.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Like skylark says, it is trying to incorporate activities into your everyday life that might benefit you. If you can, like misspickle says, make time to exercise, then so much the better, but if that just isn't an option, then just doing things like the housework more actively can always be a bonus!

It might benefit you to create a food diary (just for a while, I am in no way suggesting you become obsessed by this!!!), to see where and why you are 'munching', and this might help you. What sort of meals are you eating aside from this? It might help us to help you if we knew what you were eating, as currently we can't really comment on your diet.

Good luck - enjoy yourself, don't worry too much about it. With common sense and a little forethought, I'm sure that you will sort yourself out!

peace,

pirate x

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a time problem too (combined with other problems preventing me from exercising more actively). I have been losing weight slowly but steadily by cutting down on munching (or replacing munchables by fruit - apple slices do fine) and WALKING any time I can. I walk everywhere when I can. And outside as much as possible (for oxygen). I did NOT give up chocolate... (chocolate is GOOD for you ! LOL !) and I've been losing about 2 pounds a month. I know this is slow going but I figure that I will be able to keep it off permanently if I just incorporate realistic little changes into my lifestyle.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
i also thinkthat you may want to let go of the notion of being "good"or being "bad" because that can start to create an unhealthy relationship with food.

what do you eat throughout the day? that might help us help you a little better, too. If you are skipping meals that can be slowing down your metabolism.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, today I increased my food intake. I thought maybe if I didn't feel hungry, I won't munch.
I had one low-carb wrap with a cup of kidney beans for breakfast (keeps me going all morning!), a salad (just lettuce, cheese, and crutons. dumb school lunches), some Nature Valley bars at play practice, a bit of salsa when I got home, and I'm planning on having some spanish rice for dinner and an apple at around 6:30ish (normal snack time for me). I take a vitamin supplement every morning, too.

I woke up and did some jumping jacks today. It was nice; it woke me up and got me warm (I do so hate getting out of my nice warm bed...). Also, I'm going to a concert later, and I'm sure I'll dance my butt off.

Thanks a lot guys. I've been "forcing" myself to stay in a happy mood. That just makes the day go better. Every time someone bugs me, I think of the word "bubble." not only am I normally very bubbly, bubble is just a funny word and it makes me laugh. Bubble!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Get a jump rope. This will take pounds off you FAST and easy.

Jumping burns the most calories and tones the muscles faster than any otehr form of cardio. I lost a lot of weight some time ago doing this. And you can do it anywhere, assuming you have free space and don't hit anything with the rope when you swing it.

Just make sure to WEAR SHOES. Do not jump barefoot. Take it from me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great minds think alike, Lucine! I bought a jump rope yesterday at Target! I plan to jump in the garage, or in the laundry room (it's pretty big, actually... kind of a storage room...). The garage will be kind of cold... It's continually been from 0-8 degrees here, with windchills down to -25. blegh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with adding whatever you can between classes, etc. Maybe you can walk to school, practice, work?? I don't want you to freeze or anything....so I guess it depends how far it is. Walk at lunchtime.....take stairs. Jumprope is good....any type of cardio....a little before school and a little when you get home from work or on weekends maybe?

I try to walk wherever I can. I walk to the grocery store, the coffee shop, the pharmacy, etc.

t.

·
Registered
74 Posts
try this: instead of eating chocolate or breadsticks, keep your ideal body in mind and eat an apple or some berries. even maybe a hand full of nuts (this will keep you from getting too hungry, if you do). if you have stairs, try doing some cardio in the morning. just jog up and down them (make sure you watch where your feet are going though) also, stretching before bed can help keep extreme soreness from occuring.

hope i could help.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good luck, I keep finding myself in the same situation almost....Infact I could go for some Fazzoli's mmmmmm
lol. A few months ago I was doing good by walking to work and eating something small (apple, a few wheat thins, rice cakes, stuff like that) for lunch and reasonable portions the other 2 meals, no snacks though. I lost about 25 lbs and then winter hit and everything went downhill from there. lol

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, all this advice makes me feel great! I go to school early in the mornings, and I do "laps" around the academic halls- up the stairs, down one hallway, down the stairs, around another hall.... and I've been keeping fruit in my purse at work so I can get a quick bite instead of a breadstick. I've lost four pounds, and my skin's cleared up (my eczema was acting up). I feel great! Except I've been slacking on the jumprope in the morning. Most mornings I just sleep in now... but I'm getting back on track! Thanks so much for all the great advice! Cheer me on!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have you tried Paul McKenna's system of eating what you want but only eating when hungry and stopping before getting full? It works as it works with what your body is telling you, and the weightloss results are very good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts