VeggieBoards banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
R writes:

==============

All you really need to cross the border into Ontario is valid proof of US Citzenship and 1 or 2 other supporting pieces of ID. Generally speaking, I carry my passport, my driver's license (which has a picture) and a birth certificate. Even a bank debit card or credit card can be used as Identification as can a Social Security Card.

=============

I don't have any of the above except a social security card and birth certificate, but I have read somewhere that those aren't sufficient, that I wil need something with my photo on it, that isn't expired like my drivers license is.

I'm guessing the train company will probably inisist on seeing the id before they sell me a (round trip) ticket, and that they won't actually stop the whole train at the border to check the passengers at the border, in either direction.

I'm wondering if a simple letter from the Canadian hospital indicating that I have an appointment there for surgery, might help get into Canada.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"All you really need to cross the border into Ontario is valid proof of US Citzenship and 1 or 2 other supporting pieces of ID. Generally speaking, I carry my passport, my driver's license (which has a picture) and a birth certificate. Even a bank debit card or credit card can be used as Identification as can a Social Security Card."

I have no idea what constitutes "valid proof of US citizenship" or "supporting id" nor do I have the legal research education to find out. There is no way to tell for sure what documetnation works, except to try it. I may have to try various kinds of documentation on 5 or 6 separate border-crossing attempts, spaced far enough apart so that the last attempt is not remembered, before I hit on the right combination of documents. Those 5 or 6 trips will cost me about $200 each, along with about 16 hours of travelling, each. I figure a month is long enough to wait between attempts, for them to forget my last attempt. So i estimate it will take me 6 months, and $1,200, to learn how to cross the border.

You may think I'm joking, but I'm not.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts