VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the right forum for this post since people seem to post the job/ life related crisis here.

I have a important-ish decision to make. I think I know what I want (or should) do but I was hoping for some other insights/experiences/opinions to help me decide! (I am so indecisive!) I hope some of my wonderfully intelligent and experienced VB friends can help me out!

Basically, my situation is this:

I got laid off from my job last June in Chicago. I got some severance for a few months and unemployment for six months. Those have run out and I am now living off my savings (most of which was severance money!). I am not totally out of money yet but might be able to stretch it out for four months.

In September when my lease was up on my apartment in Chicago, I moved to WI to live with my bf in his mom's house. We have the whole top floor. I am not paying rent but I pay for elec and heat and my car and other expenses. Plus, I have loan to pay off to uncle which I pay $500 a month plus my credit card payments. My bf only works a part time and has unemployment too. ( I pay for more misc stuff and he owes me money for my credit card - which he doesn't have)

We both want to move to California and have been looking for jobs. It is turning out to be a lot more difficult than I thought and taking so long. It is very difficult to get a job in another state if you don't live there. We were supposed to move in with friends who are looking for a house to rehab in Cali but they haven't been returning our calls about what is going on. We were going to help them rehab and we were going to rent a big moving van and split the cost.

The choices are this: Move and get whatever jobs I can find in Cali. Or should I get a temporary job while I am here in WI so I don't run out of money (It would be a contract job so I might be stuck here for a certain period of time)?

I am also going to be starting an important IT class in April which I can do anywhere because it is online but I didn't want to move while the class was going on. I have to figure out how to pay for this class too- should I get a little loan from my school or should I pay for it with my credit card (it is 2,500).

I really want to be in California and so does my bf but because of my debt I need a decent paying job (I am in IT). I have a fear of running out of money btw. Another problem is getting a place to rent with no jobs (which is why we were counting on moving in with the friends who were buying the house)! I have excellent rental history and credit history.

Any advice on what I should do? Anyone been in a situation similar?

Sorry a bit long and all over the place. I just really need some outsiders views on the situation to help make the decision.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
When I moved to Los Angeles, I wasn't able to get an apartment without a job, even though I had money for a few months rent in advance, so I had to get a cousin to co-sign my lease. So, you might need to find a job first, before finding an apartment.

Was there a reason you didn't do some other kind of work after you got laid off? I think you need to make sure you aren't in debt and have some savings before you move, if you don't have a job waiting in CA, or some other way of making money after you move.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I haven't been in your situation, but based on what I read it seems to me that money is a big concern for you. You mentioned that you could get a temp job where you are now to help you out financially, but that you might be stuck there for a little longer than you like and be unable to move to Cali as early as you'd like. (feel free to correct me at any time)

So if money is a big concern, then I think it is important to place pragmatism first. What needs to be done is most important. What you'd like to happen can be worked out around that.

So regarding jobs. What do you think your chances are of grabbing whatever jobs you can if you just go ahead and move to Cali? If you can't find something soon, what will happen to you financially? I don't live out there so I can't give advice, but I think it's a good question to ask yourself. Also, if you were to get a temp job and be stuck where you are a little longer than you'd like, would it be a financial issue to move to Cali after that job is completed? if it would be, would the financial cost outweigh the benefits of the money you would get from the job?

Regarding your class, what reasons do you have for not wanting to move while taking the class? Would moving during the class significantly disrupt your studying, or would it be just a nuisance?

Anyway the way I see your situation is that there are a lot of pros and cons to weigh. It seems like a tough set of decisions you need to make, but hopefully breaking it down into pieces like this can sort out your thought process . . . well i hope that was somewhat helpful!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

When I moved to Los Angeles, I wasn't able to get an apartment without a job, even though I had money for a few months rent in advance, so I had to get a cousin to co-sign my lease. So, you might need to find a job first, before finding an apartment.

Was there a reason you didn't do some other kind of work after you got laid off? I think you need to make sure you aren't in debt and have some savings before you move, if you don't have a job waiting in CA, or some other way of making money after you move.
I wish I had someone to co-sign. Once I am there, I know it will be easier to find something.

When I got laided off I had a lot of money to fall back on. Severence, vacation pay, unemployment. I had money to support myself. I was applying and looking for jobs all that time. The IT job market is weird in that it crashes and one month there are tons of jobs available and than next month there is nothing. I was kind of taking a breather in a way because I was burnt out too. Plus I wanted to leave myself open for any immediate job opportunites.

Funny thing is since I posted my first post a few hours ago, we FINALLY heard back from the friends that were going to buy the house. They didn't find anything they liked that fit their budget so they came back here. They aren't going to start looking again until May and even then they might go looking in Oregon.

Well, that crosses that off the list anyhow...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I haven't been in your situation, but based on what I read it seems to me that money is a big concern for you. You mentioned that you could get a temp job where you are now to help you out financially, but that you might be stuck there for a little longer than you like and be unable to move to Cali as early as you'd like. (feel free to correct me at any time)
Yes, correct. I have been trying to move to Cali for a LOOONG time.

Quote:

So if money is a big concern, then I think it is important to place pragmatism first. What needs to be done is most important. What you'd like to happen can be worked out around that.

So regarding jobs. What do you think your chances are of grabbing whatever jobs you can if you just go ahead and move to Cali? If you can't find something soon, what will happen to you financially? I don't live out there so I can't give advice, but I think it's a good question to ask yourself. Also, if you were to get a temp job and be stuck where you are a little longer than you'd like, would it be a financial issue to move to Cali after that job is completed? if it would be, would the financial cost outweigh the benefits of the money you would get from the job?
Well, I have other types of jobs I could get (my bf would be getting one too) - I have animal care experience, I worked at a hospital for seven years. My best bet is to get a temp IT contract job. The only bad thing about those is after the contract is over, you are not always guaranteed any other work. I have been limited in what to apply for because alot of places want you to be 'local canditate' which I am not (yet!). IT competition is harder in Cali than here.

If I got a temp job here, I would still end up with not much saved up because of my debt - the whole idea of getting the temp job here is just so I can continue paying off my uncle and my credit card. I had a bunch saved which was my moving money etc. which I am now having to dig into because I haven't found any job in Cali yet. If I went out to California with no job and didn't find anything right away, I would run out of money in a few months I am sure.

Quote:

Regarding your class, what reasons do you have for not wanting to move while taking the class? Would moving during the class significantly disrupt your studying, or would it be just a nuisance?

Anyway the way I see your situation is that there are a lot of pros and cons to weigh. It seems like a tough set of decisions you need to make, but hopefully breaking it down into pieces like this can sort out your thought process . . . well i hope that was somewhat helpful!
For the class, it is isn't a actually 'class' it is more of a program. I have taken these before while I was working and it was stressful! They are very work intensive programs and basically prepare you to go to work on the program subject. Basically, there is classes two times a week and than on some Saturdays. It is 7 weeks long. I really want to be able to concentrate on the class because this will definatley help me in getting a job in Cali. (at least, I HOPE it will!)

Yes, a lot of pros and cons - which is why I need some 'outside' views of the situation. Your questions definately helped for breaking it down.

Right now, as I am reading everyone advice, I thinking that I will just continue plugging for Cali jobs and stay here and take my class and not get a job here until I am in total dire straits for any money. Specially since now, we have no one to possibly move in with since our friends didn't find a house. We do have one other good friend who might be moving out there for a job and he wants us as roommates - so that is another possiblity if I don't get any job before that. That might not be for a few months though.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
California has one of the highest costs of living in the US. I think if you're struggling to get by in WI, you might want to wait until you have your debts paid down and some money saved before venturing off to CA. Sounds like you may just end up digging a bigger hole for yourself.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Yes, CA is EXTREMELY expensive - we had to move because we couldn't afford to stay there anymore, as I couldn't work as an employee because of illness.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you think you're missing out on jobs because you're not a local, dont tell them you're not a local. You've got to get creative and tell a few white lies when you're desperate.
Get yourself a California postal address temporarily and use that as your contact address until you can secure some accomodation.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

If you think you're missing out on jobs because you're not a local, dont tell them you're not a local. You've got to get creative and tell a few white lies when you're desperate.
Get yourself a California postal address temporarily and use that as your contact address until you can secure some accomodation.
Ha ha! Funny you mention this - because I already tried this! I have a California phone number from Vonage and an acquiantances address which I was using for a very long time while applying for jobs. It didn't seem to really make much of a difference as I thought it would. Plus, it gets tricky with the lying when it comes down to phone interviews and such - When they see that my last job was in Chicago, they ask a bunch of questions. I guess I am not the worlds greatest liar.
One recruiter was in the same city as my address and wanted me to come into the office that afternoon -
. Had to lie my way out of that one. It quite exhausting to lie all the time.

I actually applied for one job that actually wants to see your California drivers license!?? This is a programming job ..why would it matter what is on my drivers license? or even if I have one for that matter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.