VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its going on a year since I became vegan, and I'm stuck in a rut. I can't seem to think of anything to eat, or to buy at the store and its killing me that all I eat now a days is spaghetti and tacos, I need to expand my horizons on my diet but I don't know how so I need some help. I also need some help with bread. You see I love bread but since I became a vegan I've gave up bread, becuase I can't find bread that is vegan. There is a bread at this dillions of mine that says it is vegetarian so I contacted Dillions about the bread to see if It's vegan and well they said the following:

"Thank you for contacting Dillons. The only animal products in our breads are diary and eggs. These would be clearly listed in the ingredients list and contains statement. If dairy and eggs are not listed in the ingredients then the bread would be suitable for a Vegan diet.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us at 800.576.4377."

If the bread doesn't contain milk and eggs in the "contains statement" is it vegan?

P.S. sorry if this is hard to read I writing it with limited time.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody The Hedgehog View Post

Well its going on a year since I became vegan, and I'm stuck in a rut. I can't seem to think of anything to eat, or to buy at the store and its killing me that all I eat now a days is spaghetti and tacos, I need to expand my horizons on my diet but I don't know how so I need some help. I also need some help with bread. You see I love bread but since I became a vegan I've gave up bread, becuase I can't find bread that is vegan. There is a bread at this dillions of mine that says it is vegetarian so I contacted Dillions about the bread to see if It's vegan and well they said the following:

"Thank you for contacting Dillons. The only animal products in our breads are diary and eggs. These would be clearly listed in the ingredients list and contains statement. If dairy and eggs are not listed in the ingredients then the bread would be suitable for a Vegan diet.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us at 800.576.4377."

If the bread doesn't contain milk and eggs in the "contains statement" is it vegan?

P.S. sorry if this is hard to read I writing it with limited time.
Yup, according to that statement if there's no milk or eggs in the ingredients list the bread should be vegan. It's also pretty easy to make your own!

It sounds like it's time for you to branch out and start cooking more, there are many many many more vegan things to eat than just spaghetti and tacos!

Try out some new recipes and ingredients from the grocery store. If you think about it most food people eat is actually plant based. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds, that's a good portion of the grocery store right there! Plus getting into the habit of checking ingredients is always good, many processed and convenience foods happen to not have animal products. There are tons of condiments, snacks, and ready made foods out there to choose from if you aren't a fan of the kitchen too.

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.bestveganguide.com/vegan-food-list.html

http://vegweb.com/

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetaria...lly-vegan.aspx

Also check out this video! It shows that eating vegan is anything but boring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRnKmKgfv3s&feature=player_embedded

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
What kinds of foods do you like to eat? here is just a quick rundown of easy, cheap meals: burritos, soups, chili, curry, wraps, stir fry, salad

have you tried making bread? it is much easier than you would think, and even easier if you use a bread machine. bread machines can be found cheap at thrift stores

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, that helps a lot.
Thank you guys, I think I'm going to try and try some new recipes maybe a stir-fry. By the way some of those pictures of meals in that video looked really good and that is a catchy song. Oh and I do have a bread machien but the texture of the outer crust was really hard so I haven't made bread in a long time. I guess I just enjoy bread brought from the store more. I might have to give the bread machien another go however seeing as the local health-food store recently got some powderd soy milk. Anywho thanks a lot this helps.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
You can use the bread machine to mix the dough and time the rises, then bake it in a conventional oven using bread pans. That's what I do for bread, rolls, burger buns, pizza dough. I can't stand the crustiness of the bread that is baked in the machine. Plus it gives me control over the ingredients. I use bread flour, salt, sugar, yeast, water, and a little Earth Balance and I keep it covered while it cools down. Not doing that can make it crusty as well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't despair, being vegan for many many years now I am still finding new foods that I love. This usually comes from new INGREDIENTS not new prepared dishes. Keep this in mind, because even a small variety of ingredients can be arranged into a wonderful array of dishes to prepare.
I would urge you to go to your local (family owned) grocer and browse through their fruits/veggies selection and just let your eyes and tummy pick out which (organic) items to get. We all have favorite foods, so your call here.
Stock up on grains and legumes/beans like barley, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, etc. etc. etc. (there's so many to choose from here).

When you want a meal simply steam some rice, cut up your fruits/veggies and pile it on however much cooked or raw you want. With just rice as a foundation, you can create a variety of "meals" depending on which fruits/veggies you have chosen. Ranging from fresh fruits topped with coconut, cardamom, cinnamon, and cocao nibs (drizzled with agave nectar), or a "stir fry" style of garlic, onion, ginger, bok choy, celery, tofu, peppers, broccoli, etc. topped with sesame seed, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili oil, and green onion -- you've got plenty of variety with just a "rice bowl" starter.

Now when you see that you can start with another grain, like corn, you'll have another mix of dishes you can go with. Add in black beans, grilled chilies, baked squash, etc. and you're going with a spicy "southwestern" style dish.

Use basmati rice and serve it with a lentil curry, spicy veggies, and a side of samosa. Or aloo matar, chana masala, and a good portion of naan bread.

I would suggest keeping as much of the ingredients completely raw as you can, for health benefits, and the flavors really stand out more (meaning you'll use less salt).

This should be how a foundation of foods comes about, when you're familiar with this you can start exploring more intricate recipes or meals like vegetable sushi (have it with some miso soup & natto), Greek foods, Korean foods, Thai curries, etc. etc. etc.
The more you focus on your ingredients the more you'll see your meals transform.

As for bread, I strongly urge you to find a local bakery. There's a few small locally owned bakeries where I live and I can't imagine getting bread anywhere else unless I bake it myself.

·
Registered
468 Posts
yea there's plenty of vegan recipe sites, its quite an abundance nowadays. It takes a while after you make a diet switch to stock your kitchen w/ new spices and ingredients. At first when I started cooking as a vegetarian I always shyed away from recipes because there were ingredients I was unfamiliar with or didn't have. Plan a few recipes before you go to the grocery store so you can have a few things to make during the week. The longer you keep at it the easier it gets because your pantry adjusts to your cooking in a matter of sense, and most the ingredients you need aside from fresh veggies you might already have to make a recipe. Keep trying new things and you'll find some things that work well and become a regular meal, and some won't, but the ones that don't make you appreciate the other ones even more

one last tip, make things in bulk that you can have a meal for the next day also...i do this all the time w/ soups and stir fries etc.

here's a couple of simpler recipes I like...

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/great-northern-white-chili/
http://www.meatlessmonday.com/raisin...t-spiced-rice/

if you want any more recipes just send me a msg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Vegweb.com was my savior in finding food to make, and it definitely helped me broaden my horizons in the kitchen and onto my plate. I would spend hours just looking at all the recipes in all the different categories and pick which ones I would like to try (added them to my recipe box which is handy to have if you sign up to join the site).

Another tactic would be searching on vegweb what I was in the mood to have, quiche, pizza, casserole, pie, cake, etc and browse through the results, and I have not been disappointed yet.

I honestly could say I'd be in a rut too if it weren't for vegweb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts