VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been a vegetarian for 5 years now. I am 19 years old and live with my mom and brother.. My mom is in her mid 40s and my brother is 8 years..

I eat a healthy diet.. I am always feeling good. I eat fruits vegetables and soy and drink juices and water.. I hardly drink any soda

The problem I'm having is that my mom has been feeling kind of sick lately.. She has good health though. She's had tests and all that and she's perfectly healthy.. Just that sometimes she feels weak because she feels that she needs to eat meat because she thinks its heavy and will make her full and she claims that when she eats meat she feels good and full....

She wants to take me to the doctor so I can talk to the doctor.. and he can tell me that being a carnivore is good for you even though I know he is wrong..

What can I do?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Your mum's the one who feels ill, and she thinks you need to see a doctor? :S

You can do a few things here. The first is to refuse to see a doctor. This is what I did when my mum suggested my genetic back problems (the problems she also has) were the result of my vegetarian diet. I told her she was being an idiot and there was no way I was going to waste any doctor's time with her nonsense. This worked for me, but that's mainly due to the relationship me and my mother have.

You could see the doctor just to please your mother, and ignore everything he/she says if they tell you that you need to eat meat. Or you could get some tests done and show her how healthy you are, tell her that there's no problem with you not eating meat and that you don't feel weak or empty.

Sounds to me like it's a bit psychological, to be honest. But I doubt your mum would react well to you telling her to see a shrink :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, she wants to go to the doctor because of her.. at my home meat is rarely ever present.. and she blames me because she thinks that she needs to eat it.. so she wants to take me to the doctor so i can hear the doctor tell her that she needs to eat meat and "prove " me wrong.. even though I tell her it's bad for her

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would be tempted to call her bluff and just go. Any doctor who knows anything about nutrition should know that a well-planned vegetarian diet is perfectly healthy. And from the sound of it, your mom isn't even a vegetarian.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She isn't and a lot of doctors have told me that eating meat is good and you need it and blah blah blah!... I just want the best for my mom and brother.. you know? Like i cook for them and buy them food and the food is tasty.. just that my mom is going through menopause i guess and she's probably thinking that her weird feeling is related to the lack of flesh

·
Registered
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutewitness616 View Post

Just that sometimes she feels weak because she feels that she needs to eat meat because she thinks its heavy and will make her full and she claims that when she eats meat she feels good and full....
sounds like she wants to overeat. a feeling of heaviness is not a good thing. overeating to the point of feeling heaviness can start her on a cycle to obesity since continuous overeating becomes progressively harder to satisfy. if she wants to feel satisfied then she really should be looking for foods high in fiber.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I don't understand why your mother wants you to see a doctor when this is evidently about how she feels when she doesn't eat meat. Maybe she wants to include meat in her diet because she feels better when she eats it, but doesn't want to have to cook two main dishes... so she wants you to go back to eating meat?

When I was living home, we worked around it. For example, if we were having spaghetti, Mom would have bought meatless sauce and added some ground beef to it. I just took a portion of sauce before meat was added and kept it in a cup to pour on my serving when we sat down to eat. I think it would have been a bit easier to buy sauce with meat in it already, but she would have had to heat it up on the stove first anyway. If the main dish was meat-based, I would make something else for myself.

Why not ask her if having to cook extra is the problem? If it is, tell her you can help with the cooking. I don't know about helping her to go vegetarian if she thinks it's too much trouble or too unpleasant, even if she thinks it would make her healthier. My efforts to persuade family members to improve their lifestyle as regards health have basically failed; you might be more persuasive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey

you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink, your lifestyle and how you feel is the best way to show others how vegetrianism can work. If people didnt listen to Einstien they sure wont listen to me.

Good luck, but try not to hurt yourself helping someone who may not want it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go see the doctor but prepare the meeting. Find stuff online about nutrition and about how healthy a vegetarian diet is. Print out pages. Know which nutriments each food bring. Be ready. The doctor will freak out and drop his carnivore speech. Information and knowledge are your weapons man!
Make the guy's mouth shut and leave the pages on his desk. Be respectful but point out his obvious lack of knowledge about it.

Your mom will understand that 1) there's no use in trying to discourage you from your veggie path 2) that you obviously seem right about it all and that she might reconsider her position.

Good luck!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts