VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You see, about a week ago my cat Sabbath started acting weird, he would sleep for a long time (like for instance, he was asleep one night when I went to bed, and he stayed asleep till I was getting ready for bed the next night), he's refusing to eat, and he oddly enough won't get up to go to the bathroom, he simply goes wherever he lies. We took Sabbath to the vet and the vet said he had loss a large amount of white blood cells, they also said (after we had Sabbath hospitalized) that they found masses in his abdomen. Which the vets believe might be caused from cancer but they don't know, and apparently the only way to actually tell if he has cancer is if we send him to a big veterinarian place somewhere in my state but that's out of our budget. From what I can gather the vet said that he might not get any better, I guess what I need help with is, that I'm confused. If it is cancer is it treatable or not? and if it isn't should I have him put down if he get's any worse? I really don't want to but it might be the only thing I can do.

So then what's your guys opinions on this. I don't want to lose sabbath and I'm sure his daughter doesn't either.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm so sorry for you. I know how much you are hurting. I have put many of my beloved cats down and it never gets easier. If he is suffering, putting him down would be the most loving thing you could do for him.

Laura

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm sorry that you all are going through this. It's so hard to know when to say goodbye.

It doesn't sound like your vet has the ability to treat cancer, even if this was a treatable type (or is even cancer at all). I would ask if they have some options for palliative care that they can provide to keep Sabbath more comfortable and to give you guys some time to say goodbye. If he gets worse I do think the kindest thing would be euthanasia so that he doesn't suffer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, thanks guys. Right now he's on antibiotics and I'm waiting to see if he'll get any better, if not then I guess to keep him from suffering I only have one option. I hope I don't have to put him down my family has gone through enough 2011 was terrible, but if I must I guess I must.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm so sorry. And what precious kitties.

If it's cancer there probably isn't much you can do and to treat would be terribly expensive and really no benefit to your kitty. They don't understand what is happening. So please don't feel guilty that you can't afford expensive treatment. It's your decsision of coarse.

When I lost my last old girl to lymphoma that vet said treatment was by chemo and seemed to think I would try that. No way would I have done that to her. I loved her too much. She died quickly with me at home after the diagnosis. I have a family member who has a cat who has had two masses in her stomach for probably 2 years and even the vet is surprised she has made it this long. The masses were confirmed with an ultrasound but no further treatment was done. She is now very thin and I don't think she has long. You really never know what will happen.

It sounds like you love your kitties very much and doing what is best. And again you should feel no guilt for not doing expensive treatment. That is my opinion anyway. And I think you and your family will know if you need to have him put to sleep. Though it's never easy.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My 17 year old cat Plato was diagnosed with cancer a little over a year ago. At that time, it had already metastasized and treatment was not an option. Our vet told us to love him and enjoy him and spoil him and make him as comfortable as possible, and we would know when it was time. He was living with my mum, 45mins away, so I only got to see him once or twice. We had him about 6 more months when, right around his 18th birthday, we knew it was time. He went peacefully, with all of us there by his side. Making the call to say goodbye was the hardest thing I have done, but the vet said in the 25+ years of his career, only a handful of cats have lived to such a ripe old age. I hope you are able to prolong your cat's health, but at least you will appreciate your time together that much more.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
www.pethospice.org

I haven't had the chance to really try this approach yet- my last few animals died rather suddenly. It might be an option for you and some other people here though.

Good luck with Sabbath. And good luck to everyone who has an ailing animal companion.

Teresa: I think that sometimes chemotherapy for animals doesn't involve so much discomfort as it does for humans. But your cat died soon after the diagnosis, so it probably wouldn't have made much difference. That's one of those things about cats... they tend to hide any sign that they're sick.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Animals are stoic, meaning they hide their suffering so you can't see it. If he is laying down and pooping where he is lying, I'd say that is plenty of evidence that he is in pain. Unfortunately, animals only live short lives. For a kitty, 12-15 years old is a pretty long life-- some live to 20 but very few. The average life span of an outdoor cat is 5 to 7 years. I have an old girl who is about 11 or 12 right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts