VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally conned my boyfriend and mom into letting me cook them dinner tomorrow night. Do any of you have any ideas that are fairly easy, absolutely delicious, and wouldnt cost me to much money? It has taken a lot of persauding and I want them to really like it so that I get to do it again!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
What I like, and what other vegans like, are not alike!
How new to veg cooking are you? What types of foods does your family like? I really suggest browsing the recipes here, and go to vegweb.

I would suggest using foods they already like without introducing things like vegan cheezes, or nutritional yeast sauces, or even faux meats.
If they like mushrooms, I've been loving the mushroom gravies or sauces lately! Just chop up any kind of mushroom (I do baby bellas a lot), saute with a good amount of olive oil and when soft add about a heaping tablespoon of flour. Let cook for 2-3 minutes on low, then slowly whisk in water, veg broth, or half water and unsweetened soymilk. This is so good over noodles and broccoli or peas, or to make rice like risotto with veggies. Sorry I can't be more specific on amounts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. I am very new to being a vegetarian. Actually it has been two weeks today. I have never been a huge meat eater so it wasnt that hard of a transition for me. Both my boyfriend and mom are big meat eaters but also are not to picky about trying things. they both just dont understand why I quit eating meat. I thought since im so new at this maybe a vegetable lasagna an.d a salad or some bruchetta would be somewhat simple for me to make and would also be something that would not scare them away

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Sweet potato chili might be good. Spaghetti with no meat sauce would be good. Oh, enchiladas would be excellent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
roasted carrots, onions, potatoes, peppers and mushrooms, drizzled with a bit of olive oil, lemon pepper, garlic and a green salad

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Sweet potato chili might be good. Spaghetti with no meat sauce would be good. Oh, enchiladas would be excellent.
That's what I would do. Sweet potato chili, cornbread and salad.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

That's what I would do. Sweet potato chili, cornbread and salad.
Don't forget the chocolate cake for dessert.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'm having four omnis over for diner tonight. We're having vegan artichoke dip and "meat"balls for appetizers, spicy sweet potato soup for the first course, pasta with caramelized onions, collard greens, and "bacon" (it has a balsamic & olive oil dressing) for the main course, and amaretto mousse (vegan) for dessert. I'm looking forward to it!
I've cooked for omnis for years now and no one ever complains.
It takes a while to get a repertoire of recipes you feel good about under your belt, but just keep practicing!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I'm having four omnis over for diner tonight. We're having vegan artichoke dip and "meat"balls for appetizers, spicy sweet potato soup for the first course, pasta with caramelized onions, collard greens, and "bacon" (it has a balsamic & olive oil dressing) for the main course, and amaretto mousse (vegan) for dessert. I'm looking forward to it!
I've cooked for omnis for years now and no one ever complains.
It takes a while to get a repertoire of recipes you feel good about under your belt, but just keep practicing!
I have a couple of questions. How'd you get 4 omnis into your oven willingly, and isn't cannibalism against the grain of veg*anism?

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I had them over for dinner - not for dinner, silly. It was a good dinner. Everyone went home happy, full and tipsy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts