VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a few dollars for public transportation to job interviews. My rent is due the 15th and after I pay it I will have only about 1 dollar left until the first of the month. I still have $50 worth of food stamps, but no money to take public transport to job interviews. If someone could lend me $30 or so I would really appreciate it. I can pay it back when I get my next social security check on the first.

The trip to manhatten by train is about $14 there and $7 back. Plus I need a few more dollars for subway and bus fare. I get the disabled rate so the bus from house to train is $2.00 round trip and the subway from train to job interview location is $2.00 round trip.

http://shakahara.com/resume100.html

Thanks.

Also, if anyone in the NYC metro area has an actual job for me, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Are there shelters, disability aid groups or churches in your area that might be willing to purchase the fares for you?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the local info and referral group and they told me I could try the church I would first have to be rejected by social services. I don't have enough money to do this. It would cost $4.00; I'll have about $1.00 after I pay my rent on the 15th. $2.00 to go to social services. If I get rejected there (the referral service thinks I will get rejected), then go to the church -- it is another $2 in bus fare. Maybe they would give me a few dollars. But maybe not. But I won't even have $2 when I pay the rent.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I would maybe try one of those car sharing sites. I'm not sure which are the best for NYC, but they had tons of them in both Chicago and DC when I lived there. If you posted a brief account of your situation, I'd be you could find one or two folks to give you a lift. Maybe you could even post a flyer in a local market or library, or something like that.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iam Jen, it seems to me that I would need to schedule an appointment for a job interview, at the convenience of the interviewer, and assure them, with reasonable certainty, that I will be able to get there at that day and time -- and on time. Someone who is unable to do that is very unlikely to land the job. Then it seems I would need to figure out how much time it takes to get there from my place, by car. Then I would need to be able to count on there being a reasonable certainty that I would be able to to find someone at a car-sharing meeting place who can pick me up on the correct date, and at the right number of minutes before my appoint time, or somewhat before that, and take me to, or near to, where I want to go. I think the chances of things working out that way are as low. then I would miss my appointment. It would be worse to make an appointment and cancel it, then it would be to never make an appointment. People remember. Word gets around. This would make me seem unreliable, undependable.

Also, taking public transportation to the car sharing place, to post a flyer explaining my situation,with my phone number, and then taking public transport back home, would cost me $2, more than I have.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With car pool: Make an appoint for interview at interviewer's convenience (as is the general rule with job interviews) with an eye toward being able to later find someone who will be able to get me there at that time?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have a $20 US bill I can send you leftover from a past visit to the States.

If you want it all I ask for in return is you PM me your address.

(In other words it'd be a gift.)

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Depends on what time you need to be in to the city, but I'm sure there are carpools you could hook up with. Even if you have to spend more time in the city than you need to, you'd save the $14 coming in.

Where are you located on the Island?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm at Ronkonkoma. There is a carpool place near the ronk rail, i think. A "park and ride." But I think the likelyhood of getting a ride is slim, even if I do hang around the park&ride place long before I actually would need to leave. And the longer I'm away from home, the more food I have to bring with me, or the more restaurant and canned food i have to eat at 5X the price of homemade food. Plus I have a food stamp card but restaurants and most small markets don't take them.

At the park and ride, you either do "we take your car today and mine tomorrow" or you give the person a few dollars for gas, maintenance, and depreciation on their car. You don't ride for free.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Gah... apparently my family used the money in my paypal account when doing other stuff. I emailed them to see if I could take $20 off the credit card registered. In either case, I'll probably be able to send the $20 between now and approximately monday.

Regards.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah, talked to family, paypal is out as a payment method because of their absurd policies.

But if OregonAmy's alluded allegation is true, then I'm not going to pay anyway.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those that sent me money, thank you for your kindness.

If anyone has a used answering machine they could send me, I could use it.

If anyone has any page-layout jobs for me, I am pretty darn good with html and css. http://shakahara.com/positiontest.html. I don't use tables any more -- except for tables.

Oh, and one more thing -- I got more help learning css from veggieboards, than I got from most of the html web-designer forums that I go to!!!!!! Thank you for your html help kpickell, jlrodgers, bigduffstuff, and probably more whose names I can't remember now.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

soilman, you did this a couple of years ago.
It seems reasonable for someone living in poverty to ask for a little money every couple of years, though. Doesn't it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.