VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a little over 2 months since I eliminated animal products from my diet. And honestly, the transition has gone quite well. I miss cheese and eggs a bit, but I haven't really missed meat at all. What I DO really, really miss is other people's food. I miss going to a restaurant or party at a friend's house and enjoying all the other delicious food that I didn't have to cook. Different food. Unusual food. Food I did not prepare.

I went to my sister's birthday bash this weekend and it was a BBQ feast. I was able to eat the green salad, the pasta salad, and the fruit salad. I also brought along some brown rice and some mango bbq beans to share. I was physically quite satisfied. And I didn't really want to eat any of the BBQ stuff. I just missed the experience of looking at a table full of food and being surprised and delighted by other people's food.

I don't actually know any other veg*ns, so I guess I'd better get used to it. In the meantime, I guess I'll just haunt the threads on this forum where people post pictures of their food. I can at least experience other people's food visually!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i know how you feel. eating has become quite a lonely experience for me. can't eat the same dinner as my family (all omnis) or friends, don't know any other veg*ns. and yes constantly cooking for myself with no one else to cook for me is quite a bummer lol. anyway, you're not alone on that one. guess it will just take some getting used to lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know what you mean. Last night, I was tempted to steal a bit of cheese off my boyfriend's plate. Not because I wanted cheese - just because it was there, and I'd temporarily forgotten that I didn't eat it.

It helps that, near me, there's a very reasonably priced vegan cafe. They don't make anything special, just like greasy spoon fare, but it's cheap, and it's all vegan, and I can go there and pick anything I want off the menu.

There's also a more expensive vegetarian cafe, with less range, and more expensive items, which I've been to a couple of times. It's not as much fun.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I do understand how you feel. My hubby is very considerate of me and where we eat now, but it's not like we can stop anywhere, and just get some food. It takes plannning if we are going to go to his family's houses, so that I have food to eat and take. Looking at it like you have a food allergy can help....if you really were lactose intollerant, and you really couldn't have cheese or milk or ice cream....you wouldn't eat them anyway. If you reacted terribly to nitrites or nitrates in cold meat, you wouldn't eat cold cuts, and some Chinese foods.

I've nearly eliminated all oils in my food too....that's even more restrictive when eating out or with other people.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Your mango bbq beans sound really good!
I guess I'm lucky actually that I don't socialize much when it comes to eating with others. I can imagine it is very hard. I think you are on to something though with bringing veg food to the occasion. You have something for you to eat and others will probably enjoy too.

But I do understand that you probably get tired of your own cooking. I know I do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this is what my husband and I are facing atm. do we stop attending family BBQs and dinners becoz we are the only veggos or do we just go and try not to look at the meat and just eat the veggies and salads ??

my husband and i tired to post a few things on our face book pages about killing animals and eating meat and all our friends told us to stop jamming it down there throats so i no longer post anything about it on my wall my husband on the other hand doesnt care what others think and still continues to do it. my husband doesnt like looking at other people eating meat and doesnt see how they can still think it is ok to eat it.

i miss being able to drop into maccas on the way home from the kids sports to grab some dinner, about the only thing we can stop and grab is some hot chips

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdolphin View Post

i miss being able to drop into maccas on the way home from the kids sports to grab some dinner, about the only thing we can stop and grab is some hot chips
Have you tried Burger King? SO much more veggie friendly. In the UK, at least, they list all the ingredients of their products separately on their website, so you can see what's vegan, and their veggie bean burger is vegan, as long as you leave the mayonnaise and cheese off. It still comes with tomatoes, ketchup, and lettuce, when you do that, and you can even get it in a kids meal. Miles ahead of McDs, where their veggie burger is cooked in oil which may be cross-contaminated with the chicken and fish oil, and only comes with lettuce. They don't even come close to offering a vegetarian kids meal.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I don't miss eating other people's food. I'm a little snobby when to comes to this; my food is better to me than anything others make, and besides, people are nasty!
I've taken food handler's training, seen the insides of people's homes and their habits when cooking...

I do wish there were more options for good vegan restaurants.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can relate to what you are saying. It is annoying not to be able to eat things at parties and restaurants. I have gotten used to it but it still sucks. I always bring a lot of different things to parties so I can have different food and also so people can see that veg*n food is good.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdolphin View Post

this is what my husband and I are facing atm. do we stop attending family BBQs and dinners becoz we are the only veggos or do we just go and try not to look at the meat and just eat the veggies and salads ??
I know it's really hard sometimes, but just try to learn to ignore the sights and smells at a barbie because the alternative is to socially isolate yourself from everyone which isn't good for you or your kids who would have to miss out on important family functions as they grow up. Just do what I do, and always make sure you arrive at gatherings early so you can get your snags and burgers on the barbie first before it gets contaminated with all the yukky meat juices!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
If you have a Vegetarian or Vegan society near you -join it! We have a very active vegetarian group here in central Virginia, and they host monthly pot-lucks. They request that people bring vegan dishes to share, so everyone can enjoy everything. It's so wonderful to sit down on occasion to a whole table of food you can eat!

Another idea is to search on vegetarian festivals nearby. Many feature vegan food, and this is the time of year when you might have several to choose from, depending on where you live.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

If you have a Vegetarian or Vegan society near you -join it! We have a very active vegetarian group here in central Virginia, and they host monthly pot-lucks. They request that people bring vegan dishes to share, so everyone can enjoy everything. It's so wonderful to sit down on occasion to a whole table of food you can eat!

Another idea is to search on vegetarian festivals nearby. Many feature vegan food, and this is the time of year when you might have several to choose from, depending on where you live.
I definitely second this! Try Meetup to find some. I've joined a bunch of hiking groups there but honestly didn't even think about a veggie group

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
My friend and I throw vegan potlucks and have all sorts of yummy foods. You could also try to plan a vacation to a place with vegetarian restaurants so you can go out and enjoy some food you didn't have to make!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I also completely relate to what you are saying. I guess my strategy is to try to focus on the company rather than the food in social situations, and find most of my food satisfaction in things I make for myself at home. I do kind of enjoy the fact that veganism becomes such a DIY lifestyle -- if I want some specific thing like cupcakes, or mac and "cheez," or something, I usually have to make it myself. But that's OK with me as it's made me a better cook and put me a lot more in touch with my food cravings, forcing me to really acknowledge which ones I NEED to satisfy and which I don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the plus side you now have an excuse not to eat things that you don't want to
My Mother-in-Law makes really horrible food (think sloppy joes in a crock pot all day for xmas, disgusting veg*n or not) so now I can't eat almost anything she makes. It's nice to know I'll never have to suffer through another terrible meal again just to keep her happy...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mcdonalds and bk in the USA don't have veggie patties. I went to a bar the other day that had vegetarian egg rolls. They were nasty tho. How do u find a vegetarian society?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

Mcdonalds and bk in the USA don't have veggie patties. I went to a bar the other day that had vegetarian egg rolls. They were nasty tho. How do u find a vegetarian society?
Type vegetarian and your city/area into google. Or use social meeting sites like 'meet up'.

The only thing that annoys me about social events is the meat eaters have habit of wanting to try the veggie food provided, leaving very little for the vegetarians - this has happened at several functions, and they have gone on to then eat 'their' food, leaving the vegetarians with little left to eat

If you go to family and friends social events, just take some food with you - for you and some extra for others to try. And focus on the people, not the food.

It gets easier, and it stops bothering you after a while, if that's any consolation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As much as I want to pick off food from a table full of different foods I didn't make, I am forced to bring my own plate of food to such gatherings. It's a bit of a bummer, but it comes with the territory

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

The only thing that annoys me about social events is the meat eaters have habit of wanting to try the veggie food provided, leaving very little for the vegetarians - this has happened at several functions, and they have gone on to then eat 'their' food, leaving the vegetarians with little left to eat
Ugggh, that used to happen to me all the time when I went to other people's houses! Then I used to make extra and they'd eat all that too. Now, when I see an omni hand reaching out for my food I just slap it and say " Leave it right there buddy!
If you only want to eat vegan food, bring vegan food with you!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts