VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was suggested to go on a raw food diet for my brain fog. When I tried raw vegan for the first time, I experienced much less fogginess, and felt better. Still had some fog, but I felt like most of it was gone.. I posted my other thread on to a vegetarian meet up group, and I was suggested to go from eating nearly all cooked foods to eating 100% raw, and also to juice fast. But I don't know how to get started, I never made raw food, the only raw food I ate was from a restaurant..

"Hi Danielle,

Sorry to hear about your problems. It has to suck to feel like you are in a fog all the time. While not a doctor, my guess is that your diet can fix this issue.

There are several things that I would recommend to do depending on your level or commitment and interest. I am also not sure what you can afford.

I think that one of the first things that you could try is a juice fast. If you do just juices for a week or so, it can let your system process and maybe help clean up whatever is making you feel like you are in the fog.

I would also recommend a raw diet. It is not easy but in a lot of people it shows remarkable results pretty quickly. Maybe in weeks or month (maybe months - but you will see improvements).

If you want to see a psychiatrist, I know a good one that is vegan. I am not sure what she charges but she is very good.

I would NOT hold information from my doctor like some people have suggested. I would just find a different doctor. The ONLY way they can diagnose issues is if they have as much information as possible. You being vegetarian or vegan is a BIG part of it. I am a firm believer that what you eat has a direct effect on your body. After all, it IS the fuel you are putting in.

You may be gluten intolerant. Give up the wheat for a while and see how you feel. (That is why the juicing and raw would also have an impact if you were to have a gluten problem).

There is an alternative health program at Northwestern Hospital downtown. Again, I am guessing it is not cheap so I do not know if it is affordable for you or not.

I know a certified acupuncturist that is also studying to be a herbologist. She studied in a Asian medicine program.

There are also two chiropractors that I know that look at the person wholistically and would recommend giving them a try as well.

There is a Korean restaurant, while not being a doctor has had success with a food program he has. The clients eat his and only his food (vegan) and some have had dramatic break-throughs.

I am also having a meetup a a Produce store that is going to make us a Korean meal. He also has used some homemade food and vinegars, etc to help people he says. That may be an option as well.

Here is the link http://www.meetup.com/taste-of-vegan...ents/47820882/
for the next meetup we are doing.

I would recommend that you take a systematic approach so if one thing works you will know what it is and can continue it. I am not sure if I would mix and match a lot of the suggestions at once.

Feel free to email me if you want to know any of the information I proposed.

Here is a link to a meetup that you might be interested in as well.

If you want to experience some delicious vegan food that is not just junk food, you should come to our dinners. Some are healthier than others but there is always healthy choices. Sometimes there is some fried items but you could avoid those.

Hope this helps and hope you can find the cause or the solution to your problem!

Sincerely,

Jeff"

He did not say 100% raw in that email, but I'll include this little bit so the thread doesn't become larger than it is :p

"Since you have an issue which seems pretty severe (at least that is the impression I get). I would recommend 100% raw. It would be the cleanest diet you can get. Would you have to stay on the diet? Well, that is up to you. I would think that you could start to incorporate cooked back in, but I would do it slowly and see how it affects you. Once you are feeling well, you will be able to tell if it starts getting bad again."

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Your problem is a rather strange one.

But if it works for you, then I wish you the best of luck.

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright so what else can I eat besides smoothies.. although I love 'em

I'm a little scared to tell my family.... This is a big change! Although I should probably do more research before I make a move,
I didn't even know you could make raw mayo until just now lol.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Salads, wraps (use romaine or a collard leaf), banana whips, chopped up fruit, dehydrated snacks like crackers and pizzas, soups with avocado (yum) or gazpacho-like, nuts, seeds.

Depends on your food preferences and time to make it, availability of produce?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Since going raw, I have experienced significant increase in clarity. I too always felt a bit foggy, although maybe not to the extent you do?
I feel clear, light, vibrant, and inspired ~~ I am working with some big things in my life right now (just landed myself an (important-to-me) job, my partner is starting his own business) and I am happy to do it with a clear mind and healthy body!!

It couldn't hurt, I doubt it would make things worse, that's for sure. Plus, feeding yourself the most fresh, healthful foods possible simply makes being happy a lot easier!!

·
adapt. evolve. become
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Salads, wraps (use romaine or a collard leaf), banana whips, chopped up fruit, dehydrated snacks like crackers and pizzas, soups with avocado (yum) or gazpacho-like, nuts, seeds.

Depends on your food preferences and time to make it, availability of produce?
All of those things sound great.
Would I need a dehydrator? Blender? All I have is a food processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Since going raw, I have experienced significant increase in clarity. I too always felt a bit foggy, although maybe not to the extent you do?
I feel clear, light, vibrant, and inspired ~~ I am working with some big things in my life right now (just landed myself an (important-to-me) job, my partner is starting his own business) and I am happy to do it with a clear mind and healthy body!!

It couldn't hurt, I doubt it would make things worse, that's for sure. Plus, feeding yourself the most fresh, healthful foods possible simply makes being happy a lot easier!!
That's awesome!!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
If you wanted to make dehydrated things, yes, you'd need a dehydrator - though I've heard of people making their own, and I don't know where you live but if it's hot and dry enough you could potentially just put stuff outside...

For other stuff, the food processor would probably be ok. I'm not sure how things like smoothies, whips, or sauces would go in a food processor instead of a blender, but it seems to me it would work fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are able to put your oven on the lowest setting maybe 110 - 120 and have the door cracked a little, put things you want to dehydrate on wire rack, other wise there are dehydraters of ebay for really cheap. I use mine so much, a food processor is great for mixing soaked nuts and chopping veggies. There are gret books out there to help you, Ani Phyto and MIMI Kirk Live raw are both great ones to start with. As far as your family they should stand behing what ever you want to do, it is your health and well being. I have cancer and I am getting rid of it by eating a raw diet so I hope this help you. Start slowly eat breakfast and lunch raw and have a light cooked meal for dinner, then gradually move into more raw foods, that way it won't be such a shock to you digestive system. Go on you tube to see these two great woman as stated above for great recipes. Take care, keep in touch

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
That guy spelled 'holistically' wrong.

The only time I get brain fog is when I'm not eating enough calories to fuel me. Make sure you get enough fuel!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts