VeggieBoards banner

i love my puppy!

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  evan_fabiani 
#1 ·
he is now 13 weeks old. golden retriever. best companion ever.

anyone else own/owned a golden retriever and have any tips for this breed (besides the fact they shed non stop) ???

See less See more
#3 ·
there you go!!
i put up pictures from when he was 9 and a half weeks old. i have yet to put the up to date pictures on the computer but i am doing it as we speak!

p.s i cant find the cable for my digital camera so this is with my cell phone. not too shabby though

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_fabiani View Post

that is reeallly reeally good to hear. i know alot of larger breeds have problems with hip displasia and what not. i also thought that goldens werent expexted to live much past 10 or 11. this makes me very happy!!
Well hopefully the responsible breeder you got him from got his parents OFA certified for hip displasia and you won't have much to worry about.

#11 ·
So cute! I have a friend who's family breeds Golden's so I get to play with the puppies
One of theirs did have hip displasia but it didn't stop her from leading a good life, she just couldn't have puppies. I don't know a whole lot about the condition though, she might have just had it mildly.

#14 ·
So beautiful. We've had a golden retriever for 12 years called Talia. The most wonderful dog you could hope for. She's great with kids and cats, all the cats love her.

She's getting arthritis now and cataracts, if we would have done anything different we would have made sure she got more exercise and fewer treats because the arthritis that she has now is worse because she's a bit overweight and it's a bit late to do anything about it now because she can only do so much exercise before she gets too sore.

Your puppy is beautiful, so reminds me of Tali when she was little. I love love love golden retrievers.

#15 ·
Best advice to help prevent joint problems. Feed a large breed puppy foods in amounts appropriate to her size. You never want a large breed dog to grow fast, then the joints don't develope as strong as the should. She should always look a little thin and gangly. It's also never too soon to start joint protection supplements, by the time you see the signs of arthritis there is already some permant damage.

BTW: Hip dysplasia is a developmental problem due to poor genetics, rapid growth and too inappropriate diet. Arthritis and denerative joint disease are problems that can occur as a result of hip dysplasia, but also can be due to general wear and tear of life or injuries. The two are not synonmymus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.