VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
.... and it all started when we gave them the vote....

it nevers ceases to amaze me the amount of women who will actually fall for a man who says that she should be submissive to him. it makes me want to cry, scream and vomit all at the same frickin' time. very little evokes that much emotion in me....

·
Registered
371 Posts
aw, there is nothing like a "meek and quiet" woman that will have 16 kids for you while simultaneously cooking, cleaning, decorating and doing as she's told.

·
Registered
371 Posts
joe- i'm no bible reading christian, but i have heard that the bible does say stuff about how women should be submissive to men. i also wonder how women can go to church and say that they believe in the whole bible and then turn around do about fifty things that would be considered sins.

but, to each her own. i can't follow a religion unless i can be comfortable with following all of the "rules" but i know other people who can go to church in the morning and get pissed out of their minds and take people home from the bar that very same night. whatever works for you, i guess.

thalia- you got that right sister! it's just like the "why can't she put some effort in to look nice for her husband- maybe put on a skirt and do her hair and makeup- cause, i mean, he's had a hard day interacting with adults sitting in his office and he deserves to come home to a pretty wife and a nice hot meal. all she's done is sit at home."

·
Registered
371 Posts
"In case of a disagreement, he's right" position, how do couples resolve their disputes?"

sometimes we do it my way, sometimes we do it his way and sometimes we find a way somewhere in the middle. it's not about who compromises more, it all works out. why should the man be the default decision maker when the two partners can't come to an agreement? maybe it's just the person i am, but i'd rather burn for eternity than be with someone who thought that they should get the final say on stuff all the time. i don't except to be the default, why should he?

·
Registered
371 Posts
but why does a relationship need a "leader" or a "captain"? i think a good relationship uses the strengths from each partner, so they each get to sort of take the lead on the stuff that they are good at- like i might be really good at finances and my partner really good and interested in decorating, so we each sort of take charge of those areas, with input from the other. but there is no 'overall' leader. no default decision maker.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i guess i still have a problem with "cooperative submission".... which starts with the fact that i don't think that anyone should have to be submissive in a relationship no matter what sort of descriptive you put in front of the word 'submissive'. to me submissive means 'less than' it doesn't mean 'equal' and i have a problem with the view that women should be less than their partners. whatever turns your crank, i guess, but personally i couldn't live with it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i agree that every person needs to figure out how they work best within a relationship. but how many women are submissive because they truly want to be, or because that is what they believe they should be beause of the bible or because of what their parents taught them or whatever? is being submissive a free choice more often then not?

for example: i saw this documentary of this polygamous (sp?!) family that followed the bible strictly, or at least said they did- the women all wore skirts, stayed at home and the roles were of a more traditional nature (well, maybe except for the polygamous part!).... ANYWAYS, the camera person asked the children what they wanted to be when they grew up- the boys all said things you'd expected from kids their age- firefighter, policeman etc. and each of them had different aspirations. what did all the girls say? well, from age 4 to 16- all of them said they wanted to be mothers and stay at home with their children.

my conclusion- someone has taught those girls that staying at home is the only acceptable, good, noble (whatever) choice. for them all to answer the same thing, i wouldn't think that was normal. and it just reminds me of the submissive thing- were these women taught that this was the acceptable way to live, or did they have to think about it for themselves and make a their own decision. i know it's a fine line, but it just makes me wonder.

and their isn't much more that i hate than not giving girls all of the options that boys have.

sorry to get off topic!

with that said, if it works for you, it's really none of my business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts