VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Umm. I like mucus. I just don't like it when it gets too thick. Or, for that matter, too thin. One of the best things in life is when you can look at a sample of mucus and roll it between your fingers and say "ah, perfecto."

I didn't notice a change in my nasal mucus after I went vegan.

Largest producer of mucus in the body? I think the gastro-intestinal system produces at least as much as the repiratory system, if not more. You need lots of mucus so that your gi absorbs food -- instead of food sitting in your gi absorbing the lining of your gi. Any time food sits in one spot for too long a time, your gi tries to protect itself by secreting more mucus. If it senses an emergency, it may pull the "mucus-all-over-your body" alarm switch. Then even tho it is only one spot in your small intestine where chyme is not moving along -- you will find excess mucus coming out of your nose or lungs. Probably because a chemical messenger gets into your blood, and travels everywhere, telling your nerves in various places to send out "produce more mucus" orders.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Beansprout in my experience excessive amounts of almond butter can cause excessive mucus secretion. Moderate amounts are zero problem. I would scrupulously avoid almond skins, by the way. If you can get almond butter withougt the skins ground in -- this is much healthier.

The skins contain tannic acid -- a nasty stomach irritant -- which causes the stomach to secrete thicker mucus protect itself. But even blanched almonds in excess, are not such a good thing.

As I tried to indicate with my remarks that Thalia liked -- the problem with mucus that usually presents itself is not a problem of excess mucus but a problem of mucus having too thick (or sometimes too thin) a consistency. Abundant mucus, as we all know, is a wonderful thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts