VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
dairy causing mucus is very temporary it goes away within a day if not hours. There are hundreds of allergies that cause mucus build up though.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
do you drink enough water?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
What about hidden dairy products, or dairy-derived products?

When I went vegan my dairy based problems (mucus buildup, blocked sinuses and debilitating stomach cramps (so bad that they made me want to kill myself)) disappeared within a week (which was a HUGE bonus to me for going vegan).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Herself, mucus in the nose. After i dropped dairy i was so excited about no more blowing nose each morning! -i just figured it was due to all the dairy i was taking in.

Kurmudgen: I am pretty anal about not taking in *any* animal products ..i read labals and i make almost everything i eat homemade --fresh veggies and fresh fruit, whole grains, and homemade beans etc. I have given up almost *all* processed foods -except for my fortified soy milk. Ihave even reduced the amount of almonds i eat -which can also cause extra mucus. what else could it be.

I try to drink about 2 liters of water a day. I only drink water plus my 2 8oz glasses of soy milk.

No soda, tea, or juice.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beansprout

Kurmudgen: I am pretty anal about not taking in *any* animal products ..i read labals and i make almost everything i eat homemade --fresh veggies and fresh fruit, whole grains, and homemade beans etc. I have given up almost *all* processed foods -except for my fortified soy milk. Ihave even reduced the amount of almonds i eat -which can also cause extra mucus. what else could it be.

I try to drink about 2 liters of water a day. I only drink water plus my 2 8oz glasses of soy milk.

No soda, tea, or juice.
Ahh, okay. I wasn't sure of your diet, so was wondering if you were consuming something that may have hidden dairy products in. I'm not sure what else could be causing it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
And it may not be a dietary allergy. Things like dust, mold, animals, etc can also cause this.

In fact, it might not be an allergy at all. Some people just produce more mucus than others... at least, that's what the Doctor told me.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah i have pretty bad dust allergies myself.

i sniffle and sneeze constantly throughout day and night no matter where i am or what i eat/drink.

do you find it's worse indoors or outdoors, what time of day do you notice it most, what room of the house are you usually in when it's bad, etc. keep track of these things for a couple of days to help you better understand what might be causing it.

if it's mostly in the morning when you wake up in bed, maybe you're allergic to dustmites. wash your sheets, pillows, and blankets, and try running the vaccum over your matress on both sides and if it's a boxed in wooden bedframe like my old one was there may be dust collecting between frame and matress, vaccum that area as well. you might also want to dust the frame and headboard as well as any furniture or wall hangings around your bed, and vaccum/sweep underneath the bed. see if that makes a difference.

this is stuff that should be done ocassionally anyways in my opinion, because if you're not allergic now you could develop an allergy from prolonged exposure to dust and/or mites.

eta: i also find my allergies worst in winter because the windows and doors are always closed, so i'm breathing recirculated air constantly, sometimes when my allergies get bad i take a walk outside and it fixes me right up. as long as you're not allergic to pollen in which case that may not help

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LadyFaile : 'if it's mostly in the morning when you wake up in bed, maybe you're allergic to dustmites. wash your sheets, pillows, and blankets, and try running the vaccum over your matress on both sides'

Interesting, I always wake up and have to blow my nose first thing, the rest of the day i'm fine.

Thanks for all your ideas!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
for allergies? pah

if you do everything you can and still have symptoms or they get worse then yeah go see a doc in case it's some kind of infection or whatnot, but otherwise it doesn't sound like anything serious

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gave up almond-butter (which i usually eat a lot of) and have noticed a big difference the past few days. I think it's too much nut butter?!? But I also haven't eaten any wheat for the past few days too.

I will have to add one back to my diet and see what happens.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Umm. I like mucus. I just don't like it when it gets too thick. Or, for that matter, too thin. One of the best things in life is when you can look at a sample of mucus and roll it between your fingers and say "ah, perfecto."

I didn't notice a change in my nasal mucus after I went vegan.

Largest producer of mucus in the body? I think the gastro-intestinal system produces at least as much as the repiratory system, if not more. You need lots of mucus so that your gi absorbs food -- instead of food sitting in your gi absorbing the lining of your gi. Any time food sits in one spot for too long a time, your gi tries to protect itself by secreting more mucus. If it senses an emergency, it may pull the "mucus-all-over-your body" alarm switch. Then even tho it is only one spot in your small intestine where chyme is not moving along -- you will find excess mucus coming out of your nose or lungs. Probably because a chemical messenger gets into your blood, and travels everywhere, telling your nerves in various places to send out "produce more mucus" orders.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soilman

One of the best things in life is when you can look at a sample of mucus and roll it between your fingers and say "ah, perfecto."

Soilman, that's priceless!
You just made my morning. Thanks!

Edited to properly spell "soilman"

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Beansprout in my experience excessive amounts of almond butter can cause excessive mucus secretion. Moderate amounts are zero problem. I would scrupulously avoid almond skins, by the way. If you can get almond butter withougt the skins ground in -- this is much healthier.

The skins contain tannic acid -- a nasty stomach irritant -- which causes the stomach to secrete thicker mucus protect itself. But even blanched almonds in excess, are not such a good thing.

As I tried to indicate with my remarks that Thalia liked -- the problem with mucus that usually presents itself is not a problem of excess mucus but a problem of mucus having too thick (or sometimes too thin) a consistency. Abundant mucus, as we all know, is a wonderful thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.