VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering i have been veggie for a year now and sometimes i feel like i want to become vegan, but it scares me like i now i am healthy now and if i become vegan. i am scared i wont eat right and force myself to eat meat which i one of the last things i want to do. any advice

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Take it slow.
Keep eating how you are, but phase into soy or rice (etc) milks for cooking. You can always do a vegan day in your week, or do a vegan meal each day. See what you think. Ease into it, don't push yourself (or it can be overwhelming)

Most vegetarian meals can be made vegan without much trouble. And for the things you really want and can't bear to go without (mayo for a sandwich, etc) you can find vegan versions.

Going vegan doesn't mean you have to change everything about your food. You can likely keep things the way you usually do and sub or take out the egg/dairy.

What do your normal meals look like? We can probably help with ideas to keep things simple and easy for you in your transition (if you decide to do so)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my meals are useally alot of pasta and whene i cook i do alot more like sauteed veggie or a soup alot of bread and i stirfry with nuts protien for breakfeast and egges which is one thing i want to stop, for luch i have veg lasuaga or salads

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucine View Post

Veganism is harder then vegetarianism.

Why do you want to go vegan?
i want to go vegan because it bugs me that i still eat milk and cheese and icecream and everything animal products pretty much butter and it just kinda of gets to me sometimes like i am kinda of hypcrictal sometimes i just dont want to no eat right and then get sick you now and have to eat meat

·
Registered
321 Posts
I never "have" to eat meat

although with males, they do have a natural tendancy to crave animal protein...

this is just male nature

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1pp1eboy View Post

Well my meals are useally alot of pasta and whene i cook i do alot more like sauteed veggie or a soup alot of bread and i stirfry with nuts protien for breakfeast and egges which is one thing i want to stop, for luch i have veg lasuaga or salads
you daily meals don't sound difficult to veganize. Pasta with vegetables or a tomatoey sauce. Plenty of soups are vegan, although you should check your stock cubes if yuo use them, many contain lactose. My favourite is curried apple and parsnip.
there are a few vegan lasagne recipes around on VB.

I think your health should be fine. Eat plenty of grains and veg, and maybe add in a multivitamin. Do you have any specific health worries you want help with?

Good luck!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no your right you nerver have to eat meat i guess what i am saying is if i dont eat right without the dairy and stuff like i am not going to get all the stuff i need so like thats what scares me. i never really have cravings for meat.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no not really i take a multivitamin for male veggies which helps like any vegans have they had to be strict about getting three meals and heatly meals casue sometimes i really dont eat alot of food.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Please seprate your sentences with periods. Everything sounds like it's read so fast to me. Like it needs a hyphen between each word.

You can get protein from other sources like veggies and nuts and stuff. It's not just milk and meat.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Im going through the same thing! Ive been veggie a year this week (yay!!) and Im slowly going vegan..I think..Maybe. I found a shop today with tons of soy yoghurts and other stuff. I havent completely made up my mind. But yeah, take it slow! I went vegetarian in a second and never looked back, but veganism is more difficult I think.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i now that its not just milk and meat. i am sorry about my grammer. i am more worried that i already dont eat enough nuts and veggies already. and whene i cut out dairy. i wont be getting any protein then end up sick. once again i apoligze for my grammer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:

i was just wondering i have been veggie for a year now and sometimes i feel like i want to become vegan, but it scares me like i now i am healthy now and if i become vegan. i am scared i wont eat right and force myself to eat meat which i one of the last things i want to do. any advice
I don't follow the part about forcing yourself to eat meat. If you go vegan and have problems with it, couldn't you just go back to being veggie as you have been for a year already? No meat involved.

I agree with the suggestion to take it slow. Maybe a book on vegan nutrition or studying up at some vegan websites would make you feel more comfortable. One book that I like is Becoming Vegan.

It sounds as if one of your concerns is protein. Perhaps you could track your food intake for a few days to see how much protein you are actually getting now and then research some vegan food choices to see what would give you that same amount. You can look up specific foods at www.nutritiondata.com or sign up for a free account to track your meals at www.sparkpeople.com I've been tracking my food for a while and have found it pretty easy to come up with the same amount of protein with or without dairy.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum42 View Post

I don't follow the part about forcing yourself to eat meat. If you go vegan and have problems with it, couldn't you just go back to being veggie as you have been for a year already? No meat involved.

I agree with the suggestion to take it slow. Maybe a book on vegan nutrition or studying up at some vegan websites would make you feel more comfortable. One book that I like is Becoming Vegan.

It sounds as if one of your concerns is protein. Perhaps you could track your food intake for a few days to see how much protein you are actually getting now and then research some vegan food choices to see what would give you that same amount. You can look up specific foods at www.nutritiondata.com or sign up for a free account to track your meals at www.sparkpeople.com I've been tracking my food for a while and have found it pretty easy to come up with the same amount of protein with or without dairy.
where do you go to track the meals on the site i think that would help.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:

where do you go to track the meals on the site i think that would help.
On sparkpeople, once you login, click on "My Home" and then "Nutrition". They are in the colored bars along the top of the screen. For your first time there, you'll need to click on "Don't Show Meal Plans" (that shows you suggestions of what to eat when losing weight, so you don't need those). Once you've done all that you click "Add A Food" and go from there.

After you've added food items, you'll see on the chart that it shows the calories, fat, carbs and protein of your foods. It makes it easy to see where you're getting your protein and sub it for other proteins.

Hope this all makes sense. I'm not always the best at explaining stuff.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track, investigating nutritional aspects of veganism, and such. The reality is that as long as you are eating fortified foods and supplementing (B12 especially), you will be getting more of the right nutritional mix than most omnivores - and be healthier. Use common sense, eat mostly whole foods and you wil be fine.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can do it! Read a book on nutrition and plan your meals ahead of time. Make sher that your getting your daily values in the meals you plan (there's some good websights where you can plug in what you ate and they'll tell you the nutrients), and make sher that they are practical. If your going to be working all day, for example, it wouldn't be practical to plan a meal that would take two hours to prep. Instead, make it ahead of time plan a different meal

·
Registered
79 Posts
As I understand it. As long as you're getting sufficient calories and eating a varied, balanced diet, it's rare to have insufficient protein. Too much protein, OTOH, may contribute to all sorts of problems. That said, I like adding nuts to lots of dishes; they taste good and they're an easy source of protein and "good fats."

Good luck; it's a great thing you're doing.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucine View Post

although with males, they do have a natural tendancy to crave animal protein...

this is just male nature
......................................__.......... ......................................

.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,.................................. ........

.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................

..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................

...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\\.................................

.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\\........................... .....

..............\\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................

...............\\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................

................\\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\\..*`*;..)..........................

.................\\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................

..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\\..................

................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\\.................

................|.../.../.../.*`...\\...........................)....)¯`~,.... ..............

................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............

..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,

...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\\........

................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\\........

...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\\.......

......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\\........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts