VeggieBoards banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

A perfectly good argument in favor of more training, and encouraging useful working roles for dogs in society beyond being hairy-child-proxies.
I guess that depends on your stance with animals in general, because I see it as a great argument in favor of people not using animals at all.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I guess that depends on your stance with animals in general, because I see it as a great argument in favor of people not using animals at all.
People dumping animals at shelters because they don't want them is a great argument in favor of people having no use for animals? I suppose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i am personally against service animals. even though it does seem like they 'don't do much' anyway, i just dont like the idea of an animal being seen/used as a 'tool'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, @nogardsram , I have some questions for you.

If service dogs are "slaves" as you put it then...

1) Why, when I grab my service dogs vest and leash, does he come running from any place in the house, no matter what he was doing, and excitedly waits for me to put it on?

2) Why, when I leave him home to do whatever he pleases, does he hate it so? Why would he cry and wait at the door for me to come home?

3) If I have enslaved him then why, when he is off leash and off duty at home (free to do whatever he pleases) does he follow me like a shadow?

4) If he is nothing more than an item I exploit, then why do we have such a deep bond?

5) Why, if he so hates working, does he come running when he thinks I'm going to do training with him?

6) This is not a question, just a fact for you. If a service or guide dog, at any point during the training, acts like they don't want to do the job, they are immediately released from the program. If the dog wants to be a pet, he can be a pet. If he wants to be a therapy dog, he can be a therapy dog. If he wants to be a service dog, he can be a service dog. If he wants to be a guide dog, he can be a guide dog. If he wants to be a search and rescue dog, he can be that too. Dogs show signs if they are unhappy and the person who knows him best can recognize that.

See what I'm getting at here? Please answer the above five questions and explain to me how my best friend, my snuggle buddy, my service dog, is actually my slave. My curious mind wants to know.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
@servicedoglover--why would someone join a veg forum and post a response to a long gone member in an eight year old thread?

I see a real advantage for the responsible training and symbiotic relationships that most people and animals enjoy, although this type of reliance on animals can also become a slippery slope of abuse. We've had many harmless relationships with animals. Shearing sheep for example can be quite harmless, but has become a brutal commodity where they are bred to be mutants and treated horrifically for profits

Quite frankly your arguments can also be seen as Stockholm syndrome where the victim becomes totally reliant on their abuser

But really, I do agree with you, just interested in whether you're also vegetarian, or just trolling?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this thread is about service animals specifically but I need to chime in because I have an ESA.
I treat my ESA like she's a little goddess. She has a four story cage, fleece blankets, a high quality vegan diet, was saved from possibly being snake food, a custom made hammock, drinks only bottled spring water, and well you get the idea. In return? Well, she grounds me during disassociative episodes and flashbacks and calms me during panic attacks since I can't use traditional medications (they gave me seizures).

81 - 86 of 86 Posts