VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm italian teen of 13 years old then excuse me for my english. I'm become vegetarian 6 months ago (but eat milk and egg); yesterday, i did blood test. Today, i'm go to doctor for look test and he very worried, he said that I have low ferritin (i have 23,9 but minimum is 25 and maximun 150). He advised me to eat meat and fish and I was given one bottle a day of a medicine called ferritin. What I doing? Thanks.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Okay, it sounds to me like you're a little anemic and low in iron.

Doctors who tell their veg*an patients to eat meat and fish do so because they're unfamiliar with such a diet and, like most doctors, are untrained in diet and nutrition. They recommend what they know, which is meat and fish. Since they have little knowledge of the veg*an diet, they don't know about plant sources of iron and other minerals. They may also be concerned because they think a meat-based diet is healthier than a plant-based diet, which isn't true, as long as you eat healthy plant foods. and not be a "junk food veg*an".

This was the first match when I googled plant-based sources of iron: http://www.soystache.com/sources_of_iron.htm

Perhaps if you give us a list of everything you eat in a typical day, we can determine for you if you're eating a healthy vegetarian diet and what, if anything, you may be missing from your diet that would make you anemic.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am sorry this is happening to you, when I was a heavy meat eater, I was very anemic, I was eating tones of meat daily and I still was anemic. You will need to take iron pills over eating meat. I agree there are plant base items that has iron however, I wanted to point out that even a meat eater can be very anemic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts