VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I constantly feel like I am surrounded by psychopaths. I am the only vegan in my family at age 16, people in school supporting the second amendment so they can hunt makes me have very violent thoughts towards them, and what made me create my profile was some motherfu&#3^ who pushed me over the edge when trying to debate with him on the YouTube comments section.
The idiot first showed his stupidity by trying to say that vegans were immune to logic... right... And he actually acted like being an atheist made him entitled to not give a damn about species with less power than us. Because even though there is no destiny in atheism, he was actually trying to argue that evolution showed that we were MEANT to inflict needless torture on species with less power. His last pathetic attempt at trying to prove that he was right was saying that b12 was an animal product. He didn't care to get offline to research once I provided him with a book suggestion, so when I showed him a link that clearly stated that people could be healthy on a plant based diet and that supplements were available, something must have signaled in his pathetic brain that made him ignore that first thing it said, and he acted as if vegans taking those supplements were taking non-vegan supplements. smh
Keep in mind that I don't hate atheists. Being vegan turned me into an atheist myself once I read the Bible and saw how much it mentioned animal sacrifice. (I live in a Christian family.) But this guy was stupid. He was seriously so infuriating that he made me want to slam his dam^ head against a wall and then make an example out of him by executing him via the electric chair for trying so illogically to defend animal torture. :brood:

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
You have to not let people like that get under your skin. My family is full of those kind of meat eaters who all feel me not supporting animal exploitation is an affront to "god", America and all things right in the world:rolleyes: I guess growing up in it and sticking whole-heartedly to my beliefs made me grow a thick skin in regards to dealing with the verbal abuse (some) meat eaters seem to enjoy inflicting upon vegetarians and vegans. You'll eventually get to the point you just tune these kinds of idiots out.

BTW, if it's online, don't even bother debating. Just ignore them. It's more difficult with your family, but theres no need to frustrate yourself by engaging in arguments with idiotic strangers.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How long have you been vegan, Jek the immortal? If not long then you would also be hating a large part of yourself. Not good! There is a lot to learn about how to relate to this change in dietary difference that you are now on... And how to understand those who are not on the same diet as you are. Just because we recently changed our diet doesn't make us better than those who haven't. And your attitude shows that you are not better than them, yet. Maybe some day you will be better than them, but not yet, it takes time. Compassion is a thing that we are developing into as vegans. It is good that you have started your journey at such a young age. You are lucky. Compassion is for the animals and for each other, even meat eaters who have not figured it out yet. They need to go through their learning processes and it may take them a long time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You weren't a terrible person when you were a meat-eater were you? You have the right direction now, but still have a ways to go before having really separated from fifteen years of meat-eating. I don't really wish to disagree with your feelings that you have about meat eating (it is warped) but learning to deal well with what is going on in this world is important. It is best to continue to really get further on the journey that being a vegan means and let others do what they do. Help those who are receptive to being helped and get really good at it... this world does need the kind of help that you would be able to give if you get good at it. That is important.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seriously, in response to the OP, I remember my mother and her first cousin started laughing uncontrollably when I referred to my rescued pet guinea pigs as refugees who are in limbo because they've been domesticated, so they can't live in the wild, but they're not fully integrated into human society because of speciesism.

I was only trying to explain this article about domestication in a sentence or two, because they were asking me about "breeing" or "raising" guinea pigs or some other sort of exploitative nonsense.

As soon as I used the word refugee, they couldn't contain themselves. I haven't forgiven either one of them since. And this didn't happen when I was a young, impressionable, sensitive teenager. I was probably about 30 or so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of these replies are appreciated... I only want to say that if it is based on my judgment, I was despicable when I ate meat... Just obliviously evil.

·
No flesh since 99'
959 Posts
All of these replies are appreciated... I only want to say that if it is based on my judgment, I was despicable when I ate meat... Just obliviously evil.
Were you aware of where meat came from and how it was obtained? Did you have all the facts you have now (and given you age) the option to be vegan? Or were you raised in the typical home where meat was just another food item, and you really didn't make any greater connection to where it came from than xyz animal and/or assumed the animals were raised on "happy" farms with sunshine and rainbows and/or that you would become ill without meat?

If you knew what you know now, were able to and STILL chose to eat meat, then you are justified to be upset at yourself over it. If you were simply ignorant to the facts and had no clue, how can you consider yourself a bad person for doing something you didn't even realize was wrong? We don't know right from wrong until we're taught otherwise.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
:hi: W e l c o m e ! :hi:
:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
-
-
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't know where the animal products I was eating came from and was raised in that typical sort of family... Except, there may be something I was guilty of, about when I fished, aware of their sentience. Unless it is true that I could still be evil, that event makes me suffer from an inferiority complex, for it makes me want to make examples out of those illogical people not because I ignore that I once was a speciesist... But to try to scare people so much that it would undo my evil actions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You have a lot to learn, Jek.

The Buddha once said:

Can there exist any greater fool, than one in Anger?

When someone has done us wrong,
We fly into hot rage and fierce fury!
But why then do we thus repeat and commit
the same evil as we just blamed the others?

If somebody while wishing to worry you,
Has done you some wrong and vile thing,
Why do you worry then yourself,
And thereby satisfy his wish?

If you are in rage, and longing for revenge,
whether you return some evil to him or not,
You will evermore torture yourself with the
pain that always inherently is born of any hate!

If, out of rage and anger, your enemy
Should do you some real wrong & harm,
Why do you imitate his evil behaviour
By growing blind hate in your own mind?

That wrath and hate, through which the foe
Has done you some unpleasant thing,
That inner hate, indeed, you should destroy!
Then how can you worry without any cause?

Since moment after moment all vanishes,
so too will vanish those five groups and
clusters of clinging that have done you harm!
Who is it then you're angry with?
Nothing is left out there! It is all gone now!

If one person hates another person,
Whom does he hurt most, if not himself!
We are thus the cause of our own pain,
Why then do we hate the others after all?
Source: Visuddhimagga IX 22
Your post was full of hate and images of violence. It reflects very poorly on vegans as a whole.

You will never change anyone's mind by bludgeoning them over the head. In general, the harder you push, the harder they will resist.

I suggest simply living your life in as virtuous a manner as possible. When you encounter people who, at that time in their own lives are open to change, you will have an impact upon them and inspire them to change.

Maybe they will change because they see the great health benefits being a vegan has brought you. Maybe it will be because they see what a kind and compassionate person you are. I absolutely guarantee it won't happen if you are annoying, preachy, or self-righteous.

Knowing that there are 16-year-olds as passionate about animal welfare as you are makes me feel good about the future.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You have a lot to learn, Jek.

The Buddha once said:

Your post was full of hate and images of violence. It reflects very poorly on vegans as a whole.

You will never change anyone's mind by bludgeoning them over the head. In general, the harder you push, the harder they will resist.

I suggest simply living your life in as virtuous a manner as possible. When you encounter people who, at that time in their own lives are open to change, you will have an impact upon them and inspire them to change.

Maybe they will change because they see the great health benefits being a vegan has brought you. Maybe it will be because they see what a kind and compassionate person you are. I absolutely guarantee it won't happen if you are annoying, preachy, or self-righteous.

Knowing that there are 16-year-olds as passionate about animal welfare as you are makes me feel good about the future.

i am a Buddhist myself, but passive peaceful action does not always deter bullies.
That's why laws put people in jail. If there is threat of violence against your actions you would always think twice.

Btw, this is not me saying we should take arms against meat eaters, we would lose spectacularly. I'm just saying that's how the world works.

·
Banned
125 Posts
we need to pass laws that put meat eaters in jail.

·
Banned
125 Posts
agree to disagree but if this is a vegan forum ...

cannot believe the complacency and tolerance for murder here :no:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts