VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just thought I'd show off. This letter I wrote was printed in the May 30 issue of the Calgary Herald.

Quote:
I am not at all worried about the recent outbreak of Mad Cow Disease. I am confident it poses absolutely no risk to my health. I also never fret about E. coli, salmonella, heart disease or any other meat related illness. The reason I do not worry about getting sick from eating meat has nothing to do with the now daily reassurances I receive from the media and beef industry. Meat will never make me sick because I am a vegetarian. I have completely eliminated animal flesh from my diet, and I feel great.

With the meat industry in the spotlight, there has never been a better time for everyone to learn more about the chain of events that produces meat they consume and the health consequences of this consumption. I encourage media such as the Calgary Herald to print more articles showing that adopting a plant-based diet is healthy, compassionate, environmentally friendly, and delicious, and less of the "eat beef with every meal" propaganda I have heard from ranchers, meat packers and a certain Alberta Premier whose record on healthy living is more than a little dubious. Becoming a vegetarian is possible and enjoyable for everyone.

Dan Edwards

Calgary
Does anyone else ever write letters to the editor? This is actually like the 8th time I have had a letter published.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Great letter! My father got one of his letters to the editor published one time. I've never written one, but if the subject of vegetarianism came up, I would... Come to think of it, a few months ago there was a veg article about teens... Too bad I wasn't veg back then.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peebs

Hey, I just thought I'd show off. This letter I wrote was printed in the May 30 issue of the Calgary Herald.

Does anyone else ever write letters to the editor? This is actually like the 8th time I have had a letter published.
I've been doing it more lately. I was published in the L.A. Times last month. I posted about it in the News section of this site. Congratulations on having your 8th published. Kinda cool to see your name in print in a paper people actually pay to buy, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
excellent letter Peebs. I think there is a real need for us vegetarians to write letters like yours to news in order to get our message out there particuarly when they report news which is anyway considered anti-vegetarian.

Well done.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Excellent letter! Articulate and consise.

Skarrlett: if you want to share your letter (or article?), I'd like to read it.

I'm often tempted to write letters to the editor, but I never have done.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Great letter! I've sent in only 2 letters, but neither got published. There's lots of times that I want to send a letter but don't because I don't have the confidence that my letter is good enough, so I don't even try. I need to stop this self-defeatist stuff

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congratulations! So neat, ha? Wow, you articulated that wonderfully.

Having a letter to L.A. Times published once, regarding immigration was very neat. Makes you feel like you're being heard!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Awesome letter Peebs.

I was rather impressed that the Calgary Herald would print it when they are currently trying so hard to get people to eat beef. It was wonderful that you gave people something else to think about.

Way to go!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.