VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you might consider me a fake vegetarian. i believe people are supposed to eat meat if they want (it was in the bible right) but they can choose not to, which i am doing. i never really cared for meat and rarely ate it. what i do believe is that animals should be organically fed and free ranged and have a happy life and quick humane death. i have been a vegetarian for 3 months. i made a corned beef brisket that was bloody and fatty on st patricks day thaT Made me not want meat anymore. even though it was good. i had shrimp at olive garden once in that three months on purpose and tried to pi the beans out of wendys chilli but was unsucessful. my family still eats meat. im working on becoming vegan. i cant figure out how to make yogurt and icecream, but i love flax milk. i am also a crunchy homebirthing breastfeeding natural food eating cloth diapers mom/step mom to 5. i also have apart time job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know if I would call you a vegetarian, but it seems you are on the right path. I also agree that animals should be organically fed and be free ranged. I also think that being vegetarian is not for everyone. I am Christian and although the Bible does say that it is okay to eat meat, I feel like animals are still God's creatures and the way that they are raised are disgusting.

That being said, I would check Vegetarian Times website for recipes. Making yogurt is very easy with a yogurt maker and ice cream is easy with soy milk (or soy cream) and an ice cream maker (although I don't eat soy so I don't make it). Vegetarian Times also has a FANTASTIC recipe for almond feta cheese that is absolutely AMAZING!

Welcome to veggieboards!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well you shouldn't feel bad or fake for having your own beliefs, having your own beliefs just means that you are human. However, I do disagree with you but then again I don't believe in God so there's a huge belief gap right there.

For vegan ice cream, what the other guys suggested is great but if you want you can get some from health shops. You wouldn't know the difference between vegan ice cream and dairy ice cream.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

you might consider me a fake vegetarian.
That remains to be seen. I'll get back to you at the end.

Quote:
i believe people are supposed to eat meat if they want (it was in the bible right) but they can choose not to, which i am doing.
First of all, that's a horrible line of reasoning. I'm not sure if you're terribly familiar with this book you're citing as a moral framework, but the Bible condones a lot of terrible things, or at the very least never condemns them. To name a few, rape, slavery and genocide.

If you're going to make an ethical argument in favor of doing something, using a cop out like "the Bible says it's ok" doesn't cut it with a lot of people, and I'm one of them. You could violently rape a child to death and make a reasonable argument that the Bible is okay with that. Doesn't hold up in the court of the law, and isn't a valid moral point.

Quote:
i never really cared for meat and rarely ate it.
I used to love the hell out of it. I was a proud "carnivore for life."

Quote:
what i do believe is that animals should be organically fed and free ranged and have a happy life and quick humane death.
How are we defining "animals" here? Would you feel the same way if someone suggested it would be okay to kill cats or dogs if they were fed organically and quickly killed? If you make a distinction, then why?

Quote:
i have been a vegetarian for 3 months. i made a corned beef brisket that was bloody and fatty on st patricks day thaT Made me not want meat anymore. even though it was good. i had shrimp at olive garden once in that three months on purpose and tried to pi the beans out of wendys chilli but was unsucessful. my family still eats meat. im working on becoming vegan. i cant figure out how to make yogurt and icecream, but i love flax milk. i am also a crunchy homebirthing breastfeeding natural food eating cloth diapers mom/step mom to 5. i also have apart time job.
Why do you want to be a vegan? You seem very confused and all over the place with your reasoning.

I'm not sure I'd call you a phony. You seem more disoriented and misinformed than anything. Do you understand why it is that some of us feel strongly against inflicting violence against living things needlessly? Have you ever seen or considered watching Earthlings?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Remember that Adam and Eve were supposed to live as vegans back in Eden - God can't think it's so wrong if he made us to live without stealing momma cow's milk and killing animals.

Anyhoo, you do seem a bit confused, but give it some time.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
If you're a mother of five, and also have a part-time job it's no wonder you're confused!

I'm atheist myself. If the bible decrees that people were supposed to eat meat, then why are you considering becoming veggie/vegan? Are you not going against the teachings of the bible? Surely all animals were put on this earth for humans to exploit?

As a vegan I believe that there shouldn't be any animals farmed and raised for slaughter. I suppose "free ranging" and organically fed farmed animals can't wait to be slaughtered, merrily, happily marching along to the abbatoir with big smiles on their faces, knowing they're about to meet their all caring maker.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Humans CAN eat meat, however eating nothing but a balanced plant based diet has been shown to be the beneficial in most people. Plant based diets cause the least suffering, and environmental impact. If I were to believe in the bible, it would be that we're meant to eat nothing but plants, but allowed to eat animals if that were needed for survival. How can what you call a just god allow his creations to be forcibly born, enslaved against the god given instincts-to care for there babies etc., and then killed. Killed without justification.
I don't see your reasoning for wanting to be vegan, only that you don't care for meat, or what you think of as abuse.
Even what would be illegal to do a dog or cat is standard business in the livestock industry. Killing included.

·
Registered
166 Posts
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10951 < Is this the Almond Feta? Gotta try that myself. Well also in biblical times there were no factory farms. So some are accepting free range animals that are supposed to be raised well and Killed humanely. And they probably pay more for that meat. So how do you really Know how those animals are Killed. I personally won't eat meat again.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
You're not a fake vegetarian just because you don't think everyone should be vegetarian. Whether or not you're a vegetarian depends soley on what you decide to do. If you decide to eat meat, then you're not a vegetarian. If you have some reason for not eating meat, then you are a vegetarian. No fakes. For the record, I don't have a problem with people who eat meat, nor do I think everyone should go vegetarian. I just wish people would stop supporting factory farming. But that's my thing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
banana icecream is ok once in a while but i eat ice cream every day so that would get boring. i also make milk shakes with irish cream and other cream liqueurs but i'm sure those arent vegan liquors so i have to look into that too. i forgot to mention maybe that i dont eat soy, i dont believe it's healthy with all the estrogen in it. maybe it's ok for men and menopausal women? but i dont want my girls touching it. my friend was fed soy formula as a baby and now cannot get pregnant. i dont know if this is a coincidence

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyvegetarian View Post

banana icecream is ok once in a while but i eat ice cream every day so that would get boring. i also make milk shakes with irish cream and other cream liqueurs but i'm sure those arent vegan liquors so i have to look into that too. i forgot to mention maybe that i dont eat soy, i dont believe it's healthy with all the estrogen in it. maybe it's ok for men and menopausal women? but i dont want my girls touching it. my friend was fed soy formula as a baby and now cannot get pregnant. i dont know if this is a coincidence
I agree with Kpickell. If you don't eat meat, gelatin, rennet, carmine, meat broths, then you're a vegetarian.

It's fairly easy to be a soy-free vegan, esp. if you don't eat a lot of processed foods. but it sounds like you like processed foods, since you mention ice cream and shakes with liquors and syrups.

Can I ask why you're concerned about estrogen in soy and not hormones, cholesterol, and fat in dairy? It just seems odd you'd be concerned about estrogen as well, yet you eat "ice cream every day," which isn't exactly a health-minded habit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

If you're a mother of five, and also have a part-time job it's no wonder you're confused!

I'm atheist myself. If the bible decrees that people were supposed to eat meat, then why are you considering becoming veggie/vegan? Are you not going against the teachings of the bible? Surely all animals were put on this earth for humans to exploit?

As a vegan I believe that there shouldn't be any animals farmed and raised for slaughter. I suppose "free ranging" and organically fed farmed animals can't wait to be slaughtered, merrily, happily marching along to the abbatoir with big smiles on their faces, knowing they're about to meet their all caring maker.
Admittedly, it has been a while since I read the bible, but I don't think the bolded statement represents any portion of the scriptures.

While the old testament does have laws regarding foods that are appropriate, the new testament does not make any distinctions about which foods we are "supposed" to eat.

OP: I encourage you to keep going with vegetarianism.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
Welcome to VB and congrats on going veg

I agree with others, if you're not eating animal body parts (and don't intend to) then you're a vegetarian.
(for me eating ice cream every day, no matter how many different flavors i had, would be boring
) What do you have for making ice cream? If you have an ice cream machine i think http://veganicecream.blogspot.com/ is a good resource (just use a soyfree nondairy "milk" and maybe coconut milk or coconut creamer instead of the soy creamer). There are several vegan ice cream recipe books out there and one, Vice Cream, uses cashew milk for it's recipes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts