VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The federal government has requisitioned two of our hand crews to go look for shuttle debris. (at this time I would like to point out that I am seriously biting back the urge to excessively brag about the fact that I am about to get paid large cash funds to comb the forest looking for junk.

"Hey I think I found something"

"Well ,what is it??"

"I think its a piece of conduit or something"

"Nope ,just a finger"

at this time I would like to wholeheartedly Not apologize ,for that tasteless joke.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
You're biting back the urge, WF? Um, I'm 'fraid not! I'm not sure whether to wish you a productive search or an unproductive one.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
unfortunately it is something that needs to be done, but i'd always been under the impression that people who had to clean up after tragic accidents did not enjoy it, or brag about "getting" to do it, and that they felt genuinely sad and respectful of the people whose body parts they had to collect.

maybe it's just me though.

wiener.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I've frequently been under the impression that not everyone is in real life exactly the way they present themselves on the internet.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Some of that wreckage is radioactive. I wouldn't feel entirely safe from the possibility of accumulating radioactive doses that are significant, or substantial, from a life-long health standpoint.

By the way, not to brag or anything, but you are hearing this from someone who has been certified by the US Nuclear Energy Regulatory Agency, or whatever it's called, in dosimetry of ionizing radiation (member of "health physics" department of a nuclear reactor electric generator), both instantaneous level measuring and measuing accumulated dose per person.

If they ask you to sign something saying "i know I may be exposed to ionizing radiation and if I get sick in the future with cancer I won't sue you for any possible contribution the radiation may or may not have made toward my getting cancer" -- well, you know they think that there is at least some risk. It may be they figure you probably won't be exposed to a dangerous amount, but aren't absolutely sure, and prefer to risk a hired worker who signs such a release as I mentioned, rather than let members of the general public get ahold or radioactive junk.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Some of that wreckage could contain chemical skin irritants too, tho if you get proper instructions in managing pieces of debris, you should be able to take steps to prevent burning your skin, or your eyes.

I guess, at this stage of the flight, you won't need hearing protectors.

The belly of the nuclear reactor had a constant loud drone from the reactor and the water being pumped through it and heated up by it, and there were signs saying the level was loud enough to damage your hearing subsequent to prolonged exposure, so wear hearing protectors all day. Most workers did not. But I never measures levels of radiation that were of any concern, not even for a short period of time. So this nuclear reactors would have turned out to be damaging to workers hearing, but entirely harmless as far as radiation levels go -- so long as it continued working properly. Things usually are quite different than the way people think they are. I hated that place because of the damn noise pollution -- which no-one seemed to care about.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol Skylark, I am pretty sure we'll get searched just like the guys that were protecting Oregons medicinal marijuana fields were last summer. I wouldnt keep a finger anyway even though Im sure an astronauts finger would bank on e-bay. (joking)

Well LF ,I dont actually expect to find any body parts now ,as they should have all been eaten by wild animals or insects.

I like to do it because I like getting paid to hang out in the woods. Everyday I get to do something different too or be in a different place. I am only bragging about it because I feel really lucky to be a part of it.

I dont even view the accident as that tragic. All of them know the risks. And they get to do the most fun thing possible on this world. You can bet theres another 30+ people already in line eager to take their place.

Why is it that when six astronauts die in a shuttle crash everyone calls it a tragedy. But when 500+ people die in auto accidents its a statistic. Have you seen what cops do in some fatal accidents?? They throw 'em in a big orange glad type bag and sit them on the curb in a big lump. Well in America anyways.

Plus, we Americans are desensitized to tragedy. I mean, how can the shuttle burning in hold a candle to aliens blowing up the white house.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soilman:

If they ask me to sign anything like that they're getting the finger. More plausibly though ,the owners of our company have signed a waiver to the government releasing the government from liability and accepting liability themselves. Besides Im one of the leaders. I just need to say 'Hey newb come pick this up' and it shall be so.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Thing about radiation -- you often can't detect it at all with your senses. So you can get a dose without even knowing it unless you have a counter and a cumulative dose tag.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Then I guess you chalk it up to "the price I pay for my country", right?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"So what do I do if I get dosed."

Much better to avoid getting dosed in the first place. Buy an inexpensive radiation counter (probably not awfully expensive at all these days). The old ones used that you used to see in movies from the 1950's used to go click........click.........click........click during normal background radiation, and click.click.click.click.click.click if there was something radioactive around. Newer ones may go beep beep beep instead. Plus I think they operate on small batteries now, instead of huge battery packs. If you hear fast clicks as you get nearer to an object -- back away -- until the clicks slow down again. You probably don't need a cumulative dosimetry badge, unless you actually know you will be near a fast-clicker, and you want to limit the period of time you will be near it, to a low cumulative-dose period of time.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
That looks like an obsolete army surplus model, possibly used and repainted. Would it be reliable, or practical?. I have no idea. Further, the ad says "measures radiation .. as high [emphasis soilman's] as 500 roentgens." It doesn't take a lot of sense to realize that if they are telling you it is sensitive to high levels of radiation, this implies that it may or may not have sensitivity to low but still high enough to be potentially harmful levels of radiation. This person who wrote this ad obviously doesn't have common sense about measuring things, in general, much less knowledge about measuring radiation.

Electronic equipment has gone up in accuracy and down in price, and done in weight and volume, with the digital revolution. I'd want to get a manufactured within the last 2 years.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the same impression of those ones especially when I saw this on their site -!!! News Flash!!! Billionaire Warren Buffet has Predicted Nuclear Attack!- ,but other than those the cheapest one I found was 180$.

So I guess Im just wondering where I would start to look for one other than online. Would a sporting goods store have one ,or maybe I will go to Wal-Mart......

"Excuse me ma'am ,can you direct me to your radiation detection devices??"

"uhhhhhhhhh ,what??"

"Errr ,I mean, do you have any geiger counters here?"

(long ,barely blinking stare)

"Umm ,nevermind"

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

but i'd always been under the impression that people who had to clean up after tragic accidents did not enjoy it, or brag about "getting" to do it, and that they felt genuinely sad and respectful of the people whose body parts they had to collect.

rescue people have this kind of "blck huomor" to deal with the emotions that can be involved in this kind of work.

It helps to block the worst.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts