VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I found a cat, to be more precise, a Kitten, in front of the door of my apartment complex. I was surprised when I saw him because here in Canada you rarely see stray animals outside, yet alone cats, with all the snow.
I starred at him to try and guess if he is someone's cat. He is very very friendly, when i called him he immediately approached me. He was shaking just a bit probably from the cold.
I don't know what to do, He looked very clean, with amazing fur and very very pretty eyes. <3
I'm pretty sure he's someone else cat (someone in the neighborhood.) When I caressed him, he started to purrr loud! He's really cute.
When my neighbor passed by, I asked him if he knew who's cat it was, he said: no, but it's been a while that he's been seeing him outside playing. He said the owner is probably in the neighborhood and he lets him play outside.
Now, I was a bit upset because you dont let cats outside and at least if you want to do so put a collar on him. I heard so many stories about cats getting rolled over by cars, it made me cringe to hear my neighbor say that.
My friend suggested we keep him and then post flyers around the neighborhood for him.
Honestly, I don't mind keeping him as a member of the family and try to win his heart. We already have an old cat and i think the new kitten will bring joy to our home. We're already thinking of where to neuter him

What do you think I should do? What's the right thing?

I don't want to take the pet of another family that probably loves him but honestly, if you let him play outside with nothing to protect him, this shows how much his previous owner cared about him

And i really think he is better off with me! .. i think...

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'd say, keep him and see if you see any "missing cat" signs posted around. If someone is looking for him, that would at least be some indication that he's loved. Perhaps he just slipped out a cracked door. But, yeah, to go actively trying to find his owner when you don't feel that he was cared for? Nah, if you have room in your place and in your heart, perhaps he's just one lucky kittie!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Get the cat inside ASAP!!!!!!! Kittens should not be outside. He/she is likely unspayed/unneutered and they can start reproducing younger than most people think, and their judgment for danger is very bad. If you want the kitten, keep him/her and if you see signs you can decide from there what you want to do. If someone can't be bothered to put a collar on their cat or put up signs and lets a kitten out, tough.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with the above posts. A couple years ago a young cat showed up at my doorstep and I took him in. I never put any signs up or anything but I did keep my eye out for signs about a missing cat. I also checked the paper everyday for weeks. I then took him to the vet and got him fixed.
I figured that if someone was that irresponsible they shouldn't of had him to begin with. Maybe that's wrong but I lived in a very busy neighborhood right by a main road. If I would of left him outside he would of gotten run over before long. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advices! I needed a little push to feel good about what i'm doing.
Cats don't survive long here in Canada and honestly I was scared someone would run him over or that he gets collected in a shelter when I could provide him a perfectly nice home.
To be honest, I'm so happy that I found him! we needed a baby in our home! He is really active and loving!
And just for the info, he isn't neutered. So i'll take him to the vet to check everything and get him neutered pretty soon.
Any idea how much this will cost?

ETA: I'll probably wait 2 weeks or so before I do that.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
The cost strongly depends on your area and what services are available. In my area you can get a cat fixed for $10 if you're on any assistance or about $30-$40 if you're not. Call your humane society and ask what low cost services are available, if you're on a tight budget and don't want to go to your regular vet for this.

Make sure to put "introducing cats to each other" into Google and read up on cat introductions, if you're not already familiar with the slow process of cat introductions. Cats are very territorial and it's not a good idea to just throw them together to see how it goes (sorry if you're already familiar with this).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No in fact i'm not at all familiar with cat introductions.
Thanks for pointing that! Our old cat is very very territorial, when i did get him inside, before i had t ime to take off my shoes etc, our old cat saw him, they tried to approach each other slowly, my old cat hissed at him after he tried to put his paw on her head. That's when I knew I had to put them apart. (not to mention the fact that neither of them are spayed or neutered, the old cat is an indoor cat only so it was never really a problem.
I couldn't take care of them right away. I was already late to class so I put the new kitten in my room with a paper (to piss, hopefully he understood the trick) a bowl of water and some food. (he is very active so i didn't want him to ruin the place while i was outside)
Right now, my roommate is with him, he said he'll take care of him.
I haven't got any news yet.
I'll definitely read about cat introduction.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGEV View Post

I put the new kitten in my room with a paper (to piss, hopefully he understood the trick) a bowl of water and some food. (he is very active so i didn't want him to ruin the place while i was outside)
Right now, my roommate is with him, he said he'll take care of him.
That's perfect - he needs to be separated at first. Maybe mail your roommate to stress not to open the door. If you do it right at first it can save a lot of stress for everyone.

Just FYI, the specific search phrase "introducing cats to each other" IMO yields the best results.

I don't know that he'll understand the paper so I'd get a litter box of some type very quickly so he doesn't try to hold it in.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
it's good that you took him in for now. you should definitely look for an owner. you should put up some flyers around the neighbourhood, check with shelters, and look online. the vet should also check for a microchip. you can't just take someone's companion without knowing the circumstances.
years ago our neighbours used to feed our cat, not knowing it was ours, thinking it was a stray because she looked severely emaciated. if you looked at her you'd think we were neglecting her but in reality she had a thyroid condition and giving her a pill every day to treat it was severely stressful to her. along with our vet we decided to just leave her be because she was fine otherwise.
i'm telling that story because you can't tell reality just from what you see. maybe the cat ran away, maybe a friend was pet sitting and let him out on accident, maybe someone broke in, maybe the cat lost the collar (cats should really wear a breakaway collar if at all), and maybe these are people who don't care about their cat.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
This is an unneutered kitten. That's a huge risk of a lost cat who turns into a roaming, fighting tom, which is very dangerous. If they care they can put up their own signs.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Listen, great advice, blah blah blah.

What you REALLY need to do?

TAKE PICTURES AND SHOW THEM TO ME RIGHT NOW KTHNXBAI.

Yes!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
...and on the chance he does belong to someone who puts up signs, he needs to get neutered before he goes back to anyone, and if they want him they can reimburse the OP for it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

This is an unneutered kitten. That's a huge risk of a lost cat who turns into a roaming, fighting tom, which is very dangerous. If they care they can put up their own signs.
and if they're out of town or otherwise unable?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:

...and on the chance he does belong to someone who puts up signs, he needs to get neutered before he goes back to anyone, and if they want him they can reimburse the OP for it.
how old is this kitten? i don't spay/neuter the animals living with me until about 6 month old and i'd be very pissed if some random stranger did it. no way i'd pay them back either. if nobody shows up in a couple of month and everything's been done to find the cat's home that's a different story

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

and if they're out of town or otherwise unable?
Then they can put some signs up when they get back, or if they are in any way responsible then they had someone looking after him who will let them know he's gone, and that person can put up signs. If they're unavailable such that they can never ever be bothered to put up a sign for their lost unneutered kitten, then tough.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:

Then they can put some signs up when they get back, or if they are in any way responsible then they had someone looking after him who will let them know he's gone, and that person can put up signs. If they're unavailable such that they can never ever be bothered to put up a sign for their lost unneutered kitten, then tough.
if one of your companion animals ever disappears, i just hope it will not be found by someone who thinks you're irresponsible as well and leaves you heartbroken. but then again it'd be your own fault so who cares

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I honestly can't say whether or not someone else was taking good care of the kitten you found. It is true that some cats are escape artists, and that accidents happen.

It's also true that cats outdoors, in Canada or anywhere else, have a very short life expectancy. Whether or not you ultimately keep him, you may have saved his life by getting him indoors.

You'll also want to keep him and your cat apart so that your cat doesn't pick up any diseases the youngster might have. Good luck- and thank you for caring about the little guy!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

how old is this kitten? i don't spay/neuter the animals living with me until about 6 month old and i'd be very pissed if some random stranger did it. no way i'd pay them back either. if nobody shows up in a couple of month and everything's been done to find the cat's home that's a different story
O.k., then if I catch your loose under-6-month-old kitten and you don't even bother to put up a sign or have a good reason for why an unneutered male was running around outside, then you don't get him back.

They can reproduce under 6 months, which is why many humane societies now fix them at 2 pounds.

I'm unbelievably sick of people thinking that their right to own animals however the hell they want trumps the suffering that results from that. I hope you're out trapping feral cats if you let 6 month olds run around the streets unfixed, because you're part of the problem.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

if one of your companion animals ever disappears, i just hope it will not be found by someone who thinks you're irresponsible as well and leaves you heartbroken. but then again it'd be your own fault so who cares
I'd have on a collar, a chip, put up signs continually, put them on the humane society website, paper, etc.

Because I care.

Sounds like you're someone who thinks you shouldn't have to be bothered to put up a sign if a pet gets loose?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts