VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shrinking away from watching this movie for years, which in retrospect was pretty cowardly of me. Today I decided it was time.

I thought I'd be sobbing the whole time. Instead (although I did cry a couple of times, briefly), I mostly just felt deep disgust and anger. Part of that might be that because of the extensive reading that I've already done, most of the film wasn't a shock to me. But I also think that now that I've finally made the leap to veganism, I react differently too.

I don't understand how it can be the norm in our society to do these awful things to our fellow living creatures. More than that, I don't understand how almost everyone can just spend their lives willfully looking the other way.

Ugh. I guess this post is not particularly insightful, but I knew everyone here would understand so I wanted to come here and post.

Also, if by chance anyone reading hasn't watched the movie yet, I strongly recommend that you do. http://www.earthlings.com/

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had not heard of this movie before joining here recently and I am trying to watch it now but man it is not easy. I thought the PETA videos were bad..they are nothing compared to this. I am in the beginning stages of transitioning from vegetarian to vegan and I think this is going to make it a LOT easier and faster for me.

I feel a bit sick to my stomach at the moment. I dont know whether to thank you for posting the link...or run away as fast as i can.

I'd love to post this on my facebook but I know the fallout from some people would be horrible....they refuse to be educated and have nothing but contempt and scorn for my choices. *sigh*

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I've been shrinking away from watching this movie for years, which in retrospect was pretty cowardly of me. Today I decided it was time.

I thought I'd be sobbing the whole time. Instead (although I did cry a couple of times, briefly), I mostly just felt deep disgust and anger. Part of that might be that because of the extensive reading that I've already done, most of the film wasn't a shock to me. But I also think that now that I've finally made the leap to veganism, I react differently too.

I don't understand how it can be the norm in our society to do these awful things to our fellow living creatures. More than that, I don't understand how almost everyone can just spend their lives willfully looking the other way.

Ugh. I guess this post is not particularly insightful, but I knew everyone here would understand so I wanted to come here and post.

Also, if by chance anyone reading hasn't watched the movie yet, I strongly recommend that you do. http://www.earthlings.com/
I tried watching a few months ago but I only got about 5 minutes in. Haven't managed to make it to the end of an animal rights video yet... But congratulations on jumping ship
Always good to see more vegans around.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post

I had not heard of this movie before joining here recently and I am trying to watch it now but man it is not easy. I thought the PETA videos were bad..they are nothing compared to this. I am in the beginning stages of transitioning from vegetarian to vegan and I think this is going to make it a LOT easier and faster for me.

I feel a bit sick to my stomach at the moment. I dont know whether to thank you for posting the link...or run away as fast as i can.

I'd love to post this on my facebook but I know the fallout from some people would be horrible....they refuse to be educated and have nothing but contempt and scorn for my choices. *sigh*
I wanted to Facebook it too. I'm still considering whether or not I should. Like you said some people refuse to be educated.

Try to get through it. I know it's graphic, but if you can make it from beginning to end, the message is surprisingly moving.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:

I wanted to Facebook it too. I'm still considering whether or not I should. Like you said some people refuse to be educated.

Try to get through it. I know it's graphic, but if you can make it from beginning to end, the message is surprisingly moving.
I am determined to watch it all. I have to keep stopping because it is far too upsetting...

I can't even get some people to watch Food Inc....but if I post this and it changes ONE person, it would be worth it

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:

Not even from beginning to end. I think the first ten minutes is the most moving part of the whole film. I've watched Earthlings like three times and written a reflection paper about the movie for school.

Quote:

I can't even get some people to watch Food Inc....but if I post this and it changes ONE person, it would be worth it
Man I can't find a full version of food inc online anywhere

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

Not even from beginning to end. I think the first ten minutes is the most moving part of the whole film. I've watched Earthlings like three times and written a reflection paper about the movie for school.
I'm impressed that you made it through three viewings! If I ever feel shaky in my veganism, I will watch it again, but for now once is enough for me.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:

Man I can't find a full version of food inc online anywhere
It's streaming on netflix. I guess that doesn't help you since you're in Canada though.... Just thought I'd mention it for anyone else who has netflix.

Earthlings is pretty disturbing. I don't remember if I ever watched it all the way through. I have a soft spot for dogs, and there's a scene where a guy tosses a dog in a trash compactor. I think I had to turn it off after that. (That might have been near the end.)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

It's streaming on netflix. I guess that doesn't help you since you're in Canada though.... Just thought I'd mention it for anyone else who has netflix.

Earthlings is pretty disturbing. I don't remember if I ever watched it all the way through. I have a soft spot for dogs, and there's a scene where a guy tosses a dog in a trash compactor. I think I had to turn it off after that. (That might have been near the end.)
Nope its at the beginning, I found that part one of the most disturbing in the whole movie.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Nope its at the beginning, I found that part one of the most disturbing in the whole movie.
Me too. The pet scenes had me crying right at the beginning.

I have Netflix. I'll have to look for Food Inc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:

i've seen it once and i felt exactly the same way..very angry towards the human race.. i just cant comprenhend how people can just pretend this doesnt happen. there were times when i just wanted to stop watching but i kept going.
my partner was sitting next to me on his laptop while i was watching it and he couldn't help stop doing what he was doing and watch it with me.. i should have taken a picture of his face by the time the movie was finished..instead i just said to him..
> do you want to be a vegetarian with me now? and with a very serious face he said yeah...
mind you the impact didn't last very long as he hasn't stopped eating meat. ugh...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:

Well, I guess I never watched much of it then!

I've seen lots of other disturbing undercover videos though, so I don't see much reason to traumatize myself further.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just finished watching it...had to stop and go feed the family and do other "mom" things. they all ate vegan with me tonight
and it's a darn good thing. I just told the husband i dont know if i can even prepare his omni meals anymore

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've tried to watch several times and cannot make it all the way through. The glimpses of these types of videos are what I force myself to think about when I feel a slip up coming.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:

I just finished watching it...had to stop and go feed the family and do other "mom" things. they all ate vegan with me tonight
and it's a darn good thing. I just told the husband i dont know if i can even prepare his omni meals anymore
Yeh whenever an omni family member or friend hands me their food to hold I hold it far away from my body I wont cook omni food or come into physical contact with it.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
That movie destroyed me, I think you were very brave to watch it as someone who already has an open mind about animals and knows what kind of issues the film deals with.

A vegan friend of mine mentioned she wants to see it and I actually told her not to! For me it was so devastating I cried for days, I just figure if you are already vegan and already on board with the importance of being compassionate it's a little bit like agreeing to be tortured for no good reason.

Still, I guess it is good to be fully informed. I would only ever watch it again to show it to my boyfriend or anyone else who is open to having the way they think about other species change forever.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

I know what you mean. I don't cook omni for my husband as it is -- that's pretty much been my policy ever since I went veg*n -- but tonight he had a bowl with the remnants of (leftover restaurant) spaghetti with meat sauce sitting on the counter, and I had to ask him to clean it up himself even though I was doing the rest of the dishes. I just couldn't deal with it. I looked at it and saw little pieces of meat in there and thought, that's the remains of a fellow earthling. It made me feel so sad and sick, more so than usual.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That movie destroyed me, I think you were very brave to watch it as someone who already has an open mind about animals and knows what kind of issues the film deals with.

A vegan friend of mine mentioned she wants to see it and I actually told her not to! For me it was so devastating I cried for days, I just figure if you are already vegan and already on board with the importance of being compassionate it's a little bit like agreeing to be tortured for no good reason.

Still, I guess it is good to be fully informed. I would only ever watch it again to show it to my boyfriend or anyone else who is open to having the way they think about other species change forever.
I did think about that question before I watched it (i.e., is there a point to me watching this now that I'm already vegan?) and I decided to go ahead anyway. I figured that more information can never be a bad thing, and that maybe it will motivate me to be more of an activist in whatever way I can. I'm glad I watched it, I found it profoundly moving even though graphic/disturbing, and now I will be able to point others to it. The simple message that we're all citizens of the earth, regardless of species, is so powerful the way it's presented in this film.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts