VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is nearing 01:00 and I cannot sleep. I cannot sleep before about one or two o'clock, and I have to get up for school at 07:00, and it is so hard to get out of bed in the morning. On the weekends I sleep in until nearly noon. I cannot "force" myself to sleep in the evening, and my parents are getting agitated with me being up late. They cannot understand that I can't simply "go out like a match", and they keep telling me to go to bed early, but any attempts to do so are futile, as I do not fall asleep until at least 01:00. How can I "adjust" myself to go to bed/ wake up early? I thought if I stay up all night one night, I will feel tired the following evening, fall asleep right away at around 20:00, and wake up early the next morning. Will that work?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
My body won't normally sleep for more than 8 hours, so I did what you said and just stayed up so I would fall asleep the next night. I would try that first and if that doesn't work, you can always consult a doctor about your insomnia.

I know my fiancé has sleep paralysis, so he has to be choosy about when he sleeps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
wow... I have never had that problem. I used to be opposite of you. I would go to bed at 10. Wake up for school at 6. I would feel constantly tired during the day. I could really go to bed whenever I got a chance. And naps didn't help. My doctor diagnosed me with depression. So I take Welbutrin. I can wake up so easily now. I feels great to be fully awake during the day. And now since I turned vegetarian, I eat a lot better, and have a lot more energy. I have no idea what you should do besides go to your doctor.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I have the same problem as you. I make it worse by taking naps in the early evening.

One thing that makes it better is if I get vigorous exercise during the day. I have the best intentions to do that everyday, but it doesn't happen too often.
When it gets nicer out, I'll be walking to work and that helps a lot.

A few other things to be careful about- don't eat in the evenings, don't drink alcohol to go to sleep, and don't drink caffeine in the late afternoon. (and no naps!)

I also sometimes put a lamp on a timer in my room in order to make it very bright in the morning so it's hard to sleep late- plus it's kind of energizing.

I'm right with you. It's a struggle being a night person in a morning person's world.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

It is nearing 01:00 and I cannot sleep. I cannot sleep before about one or two o'clock, and I have to get up for school at 07:00, and it is so hard to get out of bed in the morning. On the weekends I sleep in until nearly noon. I cannot "force" myself to sleep in the evening, and my parents are getting agitated with me being up late. They cannot understand that I can't simply "go out like a match", and they keep telling me to go to bed early, but any attempts to do so are futile, as I do not fall asleep until at least 01:00. How can I "adjust" myself to go to bed/ wake up early? I thought if I stay up all night one night, I will feel tired the following evening, fall asleep right away at around 20:00, and wake up early the next morning. Will that work?
This is easy to solve.

Get up at 6am every single day. Buy an alarm clock and make yourself get up. If you feel like sleeping, get your lazy ass out of bed.

the reason you can't "go out like a match" is because you're sleeping till noon on the weekends. Stop sleeping till noon and your problem will be solved.

Our bodies love routine. Get up at 6am every morning for about 3 weeks, and I guarantee you your body will adjust.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

This is easy to solve.

Get up at 6am every single day. Buy an alarm clock and make yourself get up. If you feel like sleeping, get your lazy ass out of bed.

the reason you can't "go out like a match" is because you're sleeping till noon on the weekends. Stop sleeping till noon and your problem will be solved.

Our bodies love routine. Get up at 6am every morning for about 3 weeks, and I guarantee you your body will adjust.
lol, you sound just like my dad. Is this really you or has he hacked your account?

With the routines; I think it is best for me to get into routine by staying up all night one night and going to sleep early next night, rather than hopelessly "forcing" myself to fall asleep early when I am not tired. Even on school days when I get up early (with a lot of difficulty) I still cannot get to sleep before midnight, and "adjusting" myself is very difficult. I am trying different methods to get to sleep such as hypnosis and making my alarm clock go off in the evening to "remind" my of the morning and make me sleepy, and it does help a bit to get me relaxed, but getting to sleep at 9-10pm is still seemingly impossible, so since springbreak is coming I am going to give the all-nighter method a try. I better do this before summer comes, because by June it stays light out until 11pm. I hope it works!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't have any personal advice to give but here's some interesting info I found:

Heed Your Body's

Internal Clock

By Robert Preidt - HealthSCOUT Reporter

8-6-00

SUNDAY (HealthSCOUT) - If you ignore your body's natural clock by working and playing at any time of the day or night, you could set a time bomb for illness, injury and even death, sleep experts say.

"If you don't listen to your body, you will pay the price," says Dr. Harvey Moldofsky, director of the Centre for Sleep and Chronobiology at the University of Toronto.

Your biological clock, nestled in the hypothalamus region of your brain, controls what time you eat and rest, the rhythmic surge of hormones, changes in body temperature, immune system activity and a host of other body functions.

Different people have different sleep patterns. Some are morning people while others are nocturnal creatures. Problems arise when you ignore your natural body rhythms to meet the demands of work or family, says the article.

"The clock does two things. It dichotomizes us between daytime activity and nighttime inactivity, but also, and just as importantly, it enables us to prepare for those switches," Waterhouse says.

Your internal body clock can adjust to gradual changes in daylight throughout the year, but it can't cope with the rapid-fire changes of our modern lifestyles, he says.

Waterhouse has a suggestion for those who work night shifts.

"As a chronobiologist, the advice you give to a person is on your days off, do not revert to normal living habits. Continue to try and stay awake as much of the night as you can and continue to have at least three to four hours' sleep during the daytime."

There's a bunch more if you do a search on circadian rythyms but I couldn't really find anything suggesting how to solve your problem. It's interesting reading though!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Karen's article seems to support that there are variations in individuals- some will never be morning people.

Some highschools are starting the school day later because teens naturally don't learn well at 7AM.

Quote:
"People tell me that changing school start times to later is just mollycoddling the kids," said Kyla Wahlstrom, interim director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement. "I'd say they are people who don't want to accept the fact that there is a different biology for teens."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hcmodule

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I have the same problem as you. I make it worse by taking naps in the early evening.

One thing that makes it better is if I get vigorous exercise during the day. I have the best intentions to do that everyday, but it doesn't happen too often.
When it gets nicer out, I'll be walking to work and that helps a lot.

A few other things to be careful about- don't eat in the evenings, don't drink alcohol to go to sleep, and don't drink caffeine in the late afternoon. (and no naps!)

I also sometimes put a lamp on a timer in my room in order to make it very bright in the morning so it's hard to sleep late- plus it's kind of energizing.

I'm right with you. It's a struggle being a night person in a morning person's world.
Thalia, your post is fairly similar to my own situation. Especially the early evening naps lol. Bad idea but it feels so nice.

I do exercise regularly but there is definitely room for more.

When I'm up late, I also sleep with a light on. I have trouble getting up in a dark room.

I average 3-5 hours of sleep per night but I do binge on Friday nights/Saturday morning and sleep late. As OregonAmy mentioned, this is probably just perpetuating the topsy-turvy state of my sleep cycle.

Thing is, I seem to do just fine on 3-4 hours of sleep. I have energy. I feel good. I just get tired in mid-afternoon (siesta, anyone?) and then by about 7 pm I'm very awake again and fine.

But by Friday night my body is ready for some coma time.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Basically, if you don't let yourself sleep in, your body will adjust and you'll develop good sleeping habits.

And I say that as NOT a morning person. If I had my druthers, I'd work 10am - 7pm. I'd much rather go to bed around 1am and wake up around 8:30am. But... not likely, given the culture I live in. Maybe I should move to India.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I've been having some isues with this kind of thing lately, due to my work schedule. I know I can fall asleep more easily when I could have a routine, but right now work is in transition and I am covering a lot of extra shifts, so I'll have to work from 8:30-5 one day, then 3- midnight the next, and then 9:30-8 the next, so there is no way to get used to anything. If I work till midnight, there is no way to fall asleep before 2 am without resorting to sleeping pills, which I'm not willing to do.

I miss having a routine

·
Registered
63 Posts
For some people, sleep schedule is just a matter of acclimation and with some good sleep hygeine and a little patience, you can make some changes. But there could be other reasons - I, for example, have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and one of the side effects is that it monkeys with your biorhythm. I was never a morning person, but now I can't fall asleep before 2 or 3 am and can't get up before noon or 1pm. I tried EVERYTHING to change it, but basically learned the hard way that I'm better off leaving it alone. I have enough health problems to contend with that I decided why make it worse (which disobeying my body's preference really does)? I had to find non-traditional work because I'm too sick to do the 9-5, and that has worked out well since I can set my own hours and let my body do what it wants. In that regard, I agree wholeheartedly with the article that suggests we respect our inner clocks and go with the flow. It's hard, though, in western society where getting up early is a virtue and getting a later start is taken to be a sign of laziness - especially in the case of OP who is dealing with the inflexibility of school.

I've also heard of people who had biorhythm troubles as a result of adrenal imbalances, so maybe, Seb, you should have a doc look at you to rule out some problem like that - otherwise, just experiment around to see what works best for you. I think sleep is a very individual thing, but consistency does seem to be important. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts