VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is just crazy. I made my breakfast/lunch for work this morning (I work 7a.m. - 3p.m.) and didn't really think much of it. Then when I got to work I was looking at the stuff I'd brought and I was amazed.

A few months ago I would have brought a TV dinner, chips and maybe a little debbie cake type thing. But today was much different and it has been that way for weeks now and I hadn't even really noticed. Today I brought an apple and banana with a little Skippy natural peanut butter, baby carrots and hummus and mandarin oranges. I know it isn't much but i usually end up having a big dinner.

It just amazes me how much my habits have changed already. Just wanted to share.

Has anyone else noticed this after going veg? I'm sure many have.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good job! I have definitely found the same with me too. I never even meant to eat healthy I just started eating better and noticed pretty recently myself haha. When I first started eating vegetarian I'd just snack on little things and get by, but now I eat raw fruits for breakfast, snack on hummus/pita and carrots during the day, and cook tasty things for dinner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I definately eat better now. It takes me FOREVER to go through the grocery store because I read the labels on EVERYTHING because I have cut out genetically altered ingredients (such as high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated anything) as well as meat. I eat so much good stuff that my colon thanked me the other day

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I live in a dorm so I have a lot of snacks. But when I started school, I had a lot of chips and candy and sugary snacks.

Now that I've been a vegetarian for a few months, I have things like almonds, walnuts, celery, banana chips, dried edamame, etc.

My roommate says I eat "weird food" (while she eats her Oreo cookies and potato chips)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, I've cut out the hydrogenated and HFCS in the majority of our foods too. It is amazing how food looks to you after you're informed about things.

My vegan friend told me, before I went veg, that all of the processed stuff is basically the exact same thing with different flavoring. I didn't understand until I started reading all the labels. Almost everything seems to have the same crap in it and then "flavoring".

I like the way I look at the world now.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

My roommate says I eat "weird food" (while she eats her Oreo cookies and potato chips)
I got a similair reaction from a co-worker the other day. I was snacking on some natural dried strawberries (no sugar added!) and I asked her if she wanted to try one. She said "no" followed by "you eat so healthy all the time!" It was definitely a compliment I have never received before.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

I got a similair reaction from a co-worker the other day. I was snacking on some natural dried strawberries (no sugar added!) and I asked her if she wanted to try one. She said "no" followed by "you eat so healthy all the time!" It was definitely a compliment I have never received before.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I think part of it comes from awareness of what you are eating.

Once you start paying real attention to what you are putting in your body, it's hard to fill it with crap (although I still do sometimes,)

I also found spending time on VB helped me learn new ways to eat healthy foods in very tasty ways.

At work I find I now get more comments like "You eat so healthy' and "Your food is always so good". This kind of thing always makes my day better.

Sharing food with co-workers is also fun, so they can get a taste of yummy veg/ healthy foods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

It's odd some of the compliments I've got. Mostly people telling me "Oh I heard that was so good for you." and other generic ones like that. One of the cafeteria workers at my college said to me "You're mother must be so happy."
I guess because I'm eating my vegetables or something like that. I'd like to say that I'm eating better than back home but the caf food isn't that great, but I'm probably eating better than most the people who just get some greasy burnt hamburger and fries.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've definately changed what I eat. Last year, I ate pizza for lunch at school almost every day. This year I pack and have atleast one fruit and one vegetable and all sorts of different, healthier things. My friends also comment about how healthy I eat. It's really rather annoying.....but I like eating healthier.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
That's great! I unfortunately am still stuck in the rut of eating unhealthy foods, snacks, and fast food. All vegetarian, and all bad for you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ I find that stuff tastes better to me too. My palate is more accepting of new foods now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

So it is just crazy. I made my breakfast/lunch for work this morning (I work 7a.m. - 3p.m.) and didn't really think much of it. Then when I got to work I was looking at the stuff I'd brought and I was amazed.

A few months ago I would have brought a TV dinner, chips and maybe a little debbie cake type thing. But today was much different and it has been that way for weeks now and I hadn't even really noticed. Today I brought an apple and banana with a little Skippy natural peanut butter, baby carrots and hummus and mandarin oranges. I know it isn't much but i usually end up having a big dinner.

It just amazes me how much my habits have changed already. Just wanted to share.

Has anyone else noticed this after going veg? I'm sure many have.
That's wonderful!

It's great that you're reaching for healthier snacks and not even thinking much about it!

I've changed similarly. I used to grab the same junky type of snacks, but now I find myself wanting healthier food. Of course, I admit I still eat things like Tings every once in awhile, but other than that I don't really eat junk food. I also started eating more fruits and vegetables - about three times the amount I used to in a day!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Going veg has definitely changed my eating habits, too. I think making such a change in your eating style (going veg) makes you more aware of what goes into your body. If you make the leap to protect your body from animal products, then why not junk foods too?

I get comments all the time... mostly from family. "Oh, your here. I guess I'll have to cook some veggies." "You eat so healthy! How do you stand it?" "This is Gypsy. She's that health nut I was telling you about." Even when the comments come across as a put-down, I don't mind... I know I'm doing something good for me!

Even when I sneak in the occasional beer.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm not a super healthy eater, but my eating habits have changed dramatically since I went veggie. I've cut dairy and eggs out of my diet about 90%, and I find I have to eat better than I did before, if I don't want to get sick. I've also found that I like things I used to "hate" (like peppers and onions). In small doses, of course.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh yes I am by far eating healthier and I swear I feel myself starting to lose weight LOL....it is bizarre.....what a difference so many more fruits and veggies in the diet makes!

I am also trying to cut out dairy and eggs!

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I lived at my uni hall of residence the food was crap, so I sympathise with KatherineLynns snacking. Over, or under, cooked stuff was the norm, and that was just bla. Since moving in with my partner my diet is a lot better. I've switched to whole grain bread, eat more fruit (2-3 pieces a day) and at dinner times most of my plate is taken up by veges, such as brocolli, cauliflower, capsicum, chilli, cabbage, courgette, carrot, potato, kumara (sweet potato) etc. Even though I know a lot of you wouldn't consider my meat consumption healthy, I think my diet is healthy
I exercise lots more since leaving uni too. Running, walking the dog, things like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah it's 'fing awesome.

I was very stubborn with my diet before, I ate a lot of junk- and now I'm eating a lot healthier, and it's not on purpose either. I'm replacing a lot of my meals with fruits, cheeses, cereals, ect. And you also realize how much the hormones in meat, and chemicals in fast foods do to you, I'm not anywhere near as hungry and I rarely get cravings. And without those cravings, having an apple instead of a bag of chips isn't a big deal anymore.

(though I still love doritos.. mm.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts