VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since going vegan, I eat a ton of desserts. Cookies, cakes, apple crisps, etc. I know that it's okay to have desserts every now and then, but I eat them too much. I never ate this many desserts when I was omni, either. I don't know why I'm doing this.

Anyone have any advice? I really need this to stop.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I had put on 15 pounds by the time I got control of my dessert addiction.

My advice? Start exercising so you can afford to consume the calories.

I still eat dessert almost nightly, just a lot less. Once I started exercising and not having seconds and thirds on dessert I lost all the weight I had gained and more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only sweetness I enjoy is chocolate and a glass of chocolate soy milk satisfies that craving
Of course when the hormones are raging, it takes more than a glass

And from what I was told when I started my diet, eating something sour or salty will kill your sweet tooth so munch on a pickle or something similar and see if you still want that dessert

·
Registered
195 Posts
jeezycreezy, you may be a genius!

Personally, I have to leave the house to get rid of the craving. I like to take a long walk after dinner. I get some exercise, my dinner settles, and when I come back I usually have forgotten about dessert. Maybe that will help you.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Do you buy your own groceries? Stop buying desserts. At least, stop buying so many, and start eating fruit as a dessert, too

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fruits as desserts sound great. The only problem is that I live with my omni family, and I'm afraid that if I don't have vegan desserts around I will be tempted to eat theirs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You could try to switch to desserts that are fruit heavy but not just, like fruit cobblers, fruit pies, fruit crepes, sorbet, or juice popsicles. That's a compromise between healthy and decadent!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oooh. I have the same problem (I make a lot of vegan desserts too, otherwise I eat the l-o ones I'm trying to cut out!) I'm liking the juice popcicles. Also, homemade tofu ice cream is pretty healthy and very nice frozen into popcicles. I made some rocking green tea ones the other day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The desserts really make it easy to be vegan nowadays. Alli, maybe since you are still new to this, something inside of you is compensating, proving to yourself that being vegan doesn't mean being deprived.

I overdo it with dessert myself, but I choose things that are sweetened with fruit juice or have fruit in them. Another dessert you can't overeat is bittersweet chocolate, (75-85% cocoa) the taste is too strong after a few squares. Great suggestions above about chocolate soy and almond milk. A spoon of peanut Butter with chocolate soy milk has tackled a sweet craving for me in the past (and when the cupboard was bare.)

I just realized that today is your one month anniversary~ congratulations! Go easy on yourself, keeping your own stash of food in the house can make you feel secure. You deserve that much at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the best dessert ever is a frozen banana in a blender with a scoop of peanut butter and a little bit of vanilla soy milk. blend until it looks like ice cream. it will fix that sugar craving

1 - 12 of 12 Posts