VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! I've only been vegan for 4 months but i do not want to wear any leather any more. its gross and wrong to kill animals for clothing or any reason. i put all my leather shoes outside my door today ( which was hard i loved some of those boots) and my mom and dad and even my 6 year old sister keep saying that they get the leather after they die and crap like that. but i dont want to wear leather shoes!!!!! my vegan best friend and i say that we want to wear flip-flops for the rest of are lives. but my family doesnt see that way. i think they just dont want to deal with the fact that maybe animals arent treated well because then they would have to change the way they have lived for so long. but any way i need help how can i convince them to not make me wear leather. i'll buy my own shoes any thing i just do not want to wear leather but i dont get how i can get them to see it from my ponit of view. so any one with some tips or advice please help!! thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
i think they just dont want to deal with the fact that maybe animals arent treated well because then they would have to change the way they have lived for so long. but any way i need help how can i convince them to not make me wear leather. i'll buy my own shoes any thing i just do not want to wear leather
Well you kind of answered your own question .. you don't have to wear only the clothes & shoes they buy for you. If you are old enough to make these decisions regarding your lifestyle then I would think you're old enough to get your own clothing and personal care items.

I have to wear nice shoes at work and I have found lots of cute shoes and boots at Payless that are "Man made materials" but look like leather. I also have a huge collection of denim and cloth purses and backpacks.. you just have to be really careful and read the labels on things.

As for how to get them to understand.. that might be a losing battle. Like you said, some people are so set in their ways that they don't want to hear about how animals are really treated. Just politely explain that you don't want to buy products made from dead animals anymore and that you would appreciate them remembering that fact when gifts are bought for you.

Any other questions don't hesitate to post.. we have all been there and done that so we can help!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, I know the probs with refusing to wear leather. It took me like two months to finally find a pair of pointy toed, stilleto heeled, tan ankle boots, but I did. Everyone always comments on how great they are. You can find vegan friendly heels quite easily, and good boots and covered shoes if you look hard enough. If you're in the US, I know there's heaps of online shoe stores. Don't forget to buy PVC and other non-leather belts as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i just found out my favorite skateboarding shoes have leather on them!! i was so sad! but knowing i'm doing this for the animals makes it a lot easier to give them up. So its all good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I still wear leather shoes(I have 3 pair), But I wouldn't buy any again..

If I were to just through them out then that makes it even more of a waste....

Danny

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm wearing my leathers out, too. No sense letting them rot for years in some landfill now. It's not like the guy at Goodwill was going to go out and buy a new pair of tennis shoes if he didn't come across my giveaways that day.

The way I see it, whatever you have, use it as long as you can until it is irrecoverably dead (kinda like our own bodies), then move on to the next thing. Waste is bad, too.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i also wear/wore my leathers out. i haven't purchased any new leather and won't (unless the product that i need ONLY comes in leather--such as ice skating supplies, but no trouble there, since i don't skate).

also, like the others said, there are plenty of vegan shoes out there that are stylish, cute, normal looking. Sometimes i do have to pass up the cutest pairs, but usually i can find similar ones, or ones that work the same (style wise).

i like flip flops too. but we can't wear them in winter around here. I really love flip flops with rhinestones and such. they're great for "formal" occassions.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
You're best off wearing your lether out. As I see it, the damage is already done, and it's wasteful to just throw them out. But once they're worn out, get non-leather shoes.

But if you don't feel comfortable wearing them, don't throw them out. Give them away to a good cause.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

You're best off wearing your lether out. As I see it, the damage is already done, and it's wasteful to just throw them out. But once they're worn out, get non-leather shoes.

But if you don't feel comfortable wearing them, don't throw them out. Give them away to a good cause.
I agree. The Clark Howard in me wouldn't allow me to get rid of the leather I already had. I try not to buy it now, though I admit I have bought a pair of shoes about a year ago. I have taken some shoes and purses to a consignment shop. Donation is a good idea, too.

I feel conspicuous, though, if I go with missleigh to Soul Veg or somewhere similar. Like it's the scarlet letter. "She's wearing leather! Get her!!!!"

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have two pairs of leather shoes left, my Birkenstocks and a pair of ESD shoes that I have to wear for work. Once they wear out, I will replace them with shoes made from non-animal sources.

One cool thing I discovered last time I went shoe shopping: more and more athletic shoes are being made with synthetic materials instead of leather because the synthetic materials are sturdier and a lot lighter.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I too turned vegan recently, and I was having a hard time giving up my leather, not for fashion so much as for wastefulness. I'm wearing mine out until I can't use it anymore - But it's not that bad for me, considering I never liked leather in the first place - I have two belts, ballet slippers(used as dress shoes), sneakers, and a canvas purse of mine has a leather handle.

It's not that hard to replace leather - It's usually cheaper for me - I have a great pair of black heeled boots from K-mart, and my Converse All Stars are way better than any leather shoes I've ever had. Plus, I have, oh, 5 or 6 pairs of cheapie flip flops. And also, places like Wal Mart, K-mart, and Target usually have faux-leather shoes, purses, wallets, and belts. Just read the labels.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i just decided to stop wearing leather one day and the next day i went out and bought new non-leather shoes.... haven't worn any leather since..... not even my old leather shoes..... i found that because i paid for them, my mum couldn't really complain, tho she did kind of give me a strange look when i said i didn't want to wear animal skin any more.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree that you should wear them out, unless it really bothers you...personally, I cringe whenever I have to wear or touch leather. Luckily, I was still growing when I turned veggie, so I got rid of my leather sneakers and boots pretty fast...but I still have to wear leather dance shoes. Even my canvas ballet slippers have suede soles! Oh well, maybe someday someone will wise up and start making them from man made materials.

www.vegetarianshoes.com is sort of a ripoff...I got my favourite pair of boots there, and they're really sturdy, but they were really expensive and I probably could have found something similar at Payless or something.

For sneakers, I got some canvas Converses and put some cool laces in them, which is good because they're obviously not leather and I don't have people pointing at my feet all day and making accusations.

RocketDog shoes are awesome too...they have a few styles that are made from just rubber and canvas.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Yeah, Payless is the place to go (or was). I bought a pair of all man-made boots there about 5 years ago. I only bought them for my pimp
costume for Halloween that year, but they've lasted this long and I wear them all winter. I'd say they've held up better that the leather boots I have/had.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks alot for all the tips. next time I go to the mall i'll have to go into payless and see if they have some cool boots for winter. cause i would wear flip flops all the time but when it gets cold i cant. but im 14 so i dont have to worry about work shoes. thanks again for all the tips!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
But what about athletic shoes used for athletics, not just style? I am an avid jogger, biker, climber, weightlifter. I just went vegan about 3 months ago and have decided to wear my leather stuff out. But what do I do when my Nike's are worn through?? Payless plastic sneakers make your feet sweat something fierce and cause some serious foot odor. Are there any reasonably priced athletic shoes out there?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
There are running shoes that are vegan.

According to a list that was posted a few months ago in Product Reviews, my running shoes (New Balance 714) are vegan. It was a pleasant surprize, but personally I would still wear them even if they weren't vegan. I would have looked for vegan shoes next.

But if I wouldn't find satisfactory vegan shoes, I would wear non vegan ones, because my joints are very dear to me. I can do much more for animals with healthy knees than without!!

ETA:

I digged up the threads for you (one lists Nike, the other New Balance vegan shoes):

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=4328

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...&threadid=4327

1 - 20 of 21 Posts