VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing commercials for California Dairy, and at first I was disgusted at the propaganda, but it is REALLY convincing, even for me who knows what other things go on [and am in the last days of the 30 day vegan challenge!].

http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/fa...e/animal-faqs/

Is this REALLY all a complete lie?

Just for the record, I am HAPPY to stay vegan for the animals, but if the animals are treated right... I actually could be conviced to go back to a [strict] vegetarian.

Someone please tell me this is all crazy and no dairy farm in California is this perfect, or I think my head might explode.
I feel really stupid, but I can't believe these people would be allowed to lie like that [other than saying crap like "Cows are happy!"]

Ugh.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
First of all, have you ever seen the movie "Tommy Boy"? One of my favorite quotes goes a little something like this: (I paraphrase)

Man: But the guarantee is on the box. Your product doesn't have one on the box. Who should I trust?
Tommy: Because that guy knows he gave you a guaranteed piece of s***. If you want me to, I can crap in a box for ya, I have the time. But you should probably just buy my product from me.

To paraphrase - of course corporations, once they realize that the public is concerned with the ethics of their product, will begin to say that that product is ethical. Duh. That is just good business. They certainly aren't going to say, "No, our cows are treated like crap and forced into horrible living conditions, but isn't our milk great?"

That being said, there are co-ops that do strive to give their cows the best possible life, and still make good quality milk. However, you'd have to find them, and then find them at a grocery store, and then figure out how much you want to spend on milk. Those organic, cruelty free milks cost as much as some of our crazy designer milks.

All in all, this is all on you. But I wouldn't trust the dairy industry, (or any industry) any further than I could throw them.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
What happens to the male calves on these farms? What happens to the dairy cows when they can no longer produce milk?
There are many other questions that pop into my mind, but these are the first two.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Well I live in California. Next time I go to see my family I'll try to force myself to stop along the highway between Turlock and Patterson and take some photos of the happy cows living on top of huge piles of their own manure right across the highway from veal crates sitting in full sun in 90 degree F heat.

I wish I could record the vile stench as well as the images.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I lived near a lot of dairy farms, near Turlock. They were all about the same. Basically what SomebodyElse said. Pens stuffed with cows walking in (on, really. It's literally mountainous) their own poop, with a cement trough in between pens to lead them to be milked, that is also filled with poop, though they do flush it with water every now and then. How thoughtful.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The California Milk Processor Board is the one that started the "Got Milk?" campaign, which I think was the same as "Milk does a body good". BS BS BS - it's for the publicity. They care about one thing - money. Never trust an industry on anything.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Well I live in California. Next time I go to see my family I'll try to force myself to stop along the highway between Turlock and Patterson and take some photos of the happy cows living on top of huge piles of their own manure right across the highway from veal crates sitting in full sun in 90 degree F heat.

I wish I could record the vile stench as well as the images.
This.

Also, what happens to these "happy cows" when they've been all used up and their milk production starts to wane? I'm betting they end up at the slaughterhouse same as all the other dairy cows... It wouldn't be very profitable to NOT kill them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, guys, I know, I know...

It's just unbelievably sickening how they can legally say all this and get away with it, and make everything look so "pretty." I totally agree, the Got Milk things are complete BS, but it's ridiculous how much work they put into that website, all lies.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine23 View Post

Okay, guys, I know, I know...

It's just unbelievably sickening how they can legally say all this and get away with it, and make everything look so "pretty." I totally agree, the Got Milk things are complete BS, but it's ridiculous how much work they put into that website, all lies.
I wouldn't say it's ridiculous - I'd say it's business as usual.

It's not so much the work they put it - it's the money they put in, for contracted or freelance web designers and content writers. The world of freelance means sometimes selling your soul.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Considering the amount of cattle in all the animal sanctuaries there that were rescued from death directly because of those dairy farms, everything is a big fat lie. All the veal calves, all the male calves that are killed outright or left to die because they are too sick to be raised for veal, all the cows that are there by the hundreds confined to a relatively small area considering the number of them, mucking around in their feces, then all of the cows are going to be killed in a few years when they no longer live up to milking standards.

So yeah, big fat lie.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It's all about money that goes in a circle, people pay off people they pay off others, to hide everything, then the industry makes their profits back from convincing the public of the lies.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Not a whole lot in the FAQ we haven't seen before.

I'd say they use misdirection rather than telling lies. Gotta be careful declaring that folks are telling lies, especially if that statement is made without specific examples of factual inaccuracy. Remember the little boy who cried wolf.

An example of misdirection that jumps out at me immediately is the discussion of tail docking. The industry did not oppose legislation against the practice (I gather). This legislation was proposed for humane reasons I believe (the FAQ doesn't really say, but it is fairly clear that is the impression we're supposed to get). Note that they tell us why they didn't oppose it - there was no benefit to the producer anyway! I have no doubt if there was a noted benefit they WOULD have opposed the legislation. Their stance had NOTHING to do with welfare, but the bullet point is written in such a way that the reader could incorrectly conclude that it did. Especially if that reader is predisposed to believe that anyway.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yes I think it does matter when a food industry is legally allowed to lie to consumers.
Was that what I was referring to? Seems like I was referring to "better treated cows" vs "worse treated cows." When exploiting a cow ought to not be an option.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan_Liz View Post

Was that what I was referring to? Seems like I was referring to "better treated cows" vs "worse treated cows." When exploiting a cow ought to not be an option.
No need to get testy. *shrugs* Of course exploiting animals shouldn't be an option. Lying about the conditions under which they are kept is one of the factors that make people continue to find it acceptable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts