VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only vegan how doesn't eat Rice? For some reason I don't like how I feel when I eat rice. I just feel it sits in my tummy and makes me constipated.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Raw food vegans won't eat rice of course. I used to eat rice on a regular basis some years ago, but now it hardly ever features in my diet. Rice is allegedly one of the least allergic foods, so it's fairly strange that it should cause you problems, are you okay with digesting other grains?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I know raw vegans who eat sprouted wild rice.

I don't eat much rice at all. When i'm eating out I have it. I prefer quinoa.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

No, I am grain-free and love it!
I honestly think that this will be the next step in my food evolution. I'm so enticed by the grain free diet...it's over 5 years now that I have totally loathed rice.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I used to love rice with butter. I haven't had any rice since becoming vegan, though. I just don't know how to eat it. I dot think I'll like it plain, but I haven't tried it with soy sauce, and that's pretty much the only way I know of to have rice, besides maybe Spanish rice with some tomatoes.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I used to love rice with butter. I haven't had any rice since becoming vegan, though. I just don't know how to eat it. I dot think I'll like it plain, but I haven't tried it with soy sauce, and that's pretty much the only way I know of to have rice, besides maybe Spanish rice with some tomatoes.
What about making sauces? Frying rice? Stuffing vegetables with it? Stirfry with sweet-sour sauce, tofu and veggies? So many possibilities!

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

What about making sauces? Frying rice? Stuffing vegetables with it? Stirfry with sweet-sour sauce, tofu and veggies? So many possibilities!
I've actually been wanting to make a stir fry but when I went to the store I only got some soy sauce and forgot to get sweet and sour. I haven't thought about all those other options though. To fry rice, would you have to cook it first before you fry it?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Paella, Mexican rice with peppers, red beans and rice, rice pudding, Mujadara (Lebanese lentils and rice), black beans with rice and salsa, rice in veg soup.....all sorts of ways to like the rice!

For stir fry, you don't have to pre-cook the rice, just find a good stirfry recipe and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I like plain food too. The odd time I eat rice (and by odd I mean when we run out of all other options) I'll put some vegan butter in when I start simmering the rice (like when you turn down the heat and put the lid on for a while) and a little soy sauce and more butter when its done cooking.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultus View Post

Am I the only vegan how doesn't eat Rice? For some reason I don't like how I feel when I eat rice. I just feel it sits in my tummy and makes me constipated.
Have you tried brown rice? White rice is known to be binding and a big cause of constipation. Brown rice though is full of fiber and will sometimes have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I'm too lazy to make rice, and even then, I make brown. Brown, I can't cook it to save my life.
How are you cooking it? I had a really hard time cooking brown when I first made the switch from white.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Have you tried brown rice? White rice is known to be binding and a big cause of constipation. Brown rice though is full of fiber and will sometimes have the opposite effect.
That's the only rice i ever tried. White rice is a definite No No! maybe it's the unnecessary carbohydrates that I am afraid of. As I want to always have my lean body.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I love every rice there is. Generally it's just brown basmati in my house. It took a long while to adjust to brown rice, but now I love it. Wild rice, although not of the same family as other rices, is also a favourite.
Sometimes I do the brown rice in vegetable stock instead of water, it's fab!

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
No, you're not the only one. Here are testimonials from vegans who don't eat rice either:

Valerie Adonour, age 32, Paris, France:
"Eating rice makes me develop a sudden desire to assassinate Howie Mandel. I can't really explain it, and the weirdest thing is that I don't even know who Howie Mandel is -- I just get his/her name in my head, accompanied by a feeling of deep hatred. So I've thought it best to avoid rice altogether."

Hercule Poirot, age unknown, Agatha Christie's novels:
"I am vegan, because I eat no animal products. However, that is for the same reason as why I don't eat rice either: I'm a fictional character, so all I can eat is fictional food, which amounts to no food at all in reality."

Bor, age 902.3, unidentified planet in the Aes-IV system:
◊◊◊↑↑¼..×↔♦♦♦♦

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Hercule Poirot, age unknown, Agatha Christie's novels:
"I am vegan, because I eat no animal products. However, that is for the same reason as why I don't eat rice either: I'm a fictional character, so all I can eat is fictional food, which amounts to no food at all in reality."
So is he a breatharian or does he have Orthorexia?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts