VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ear clipping/cutting on dogs? I was out for a leisurly stroll with Madison this evening when we came upon a young couple with a dog. Looked like a Rotweiller puppy (or something of the sort). Anyway, it's ears had just been clipped. It had these little stick things coming up out of it's ear (holes) with the point of the ear attached somehow to the stick to make it stand up. Meanwhile you could still see the reddish, unhealed edges where the other part of the ear had been cut off.

It just looked terribly painful. Why exactly does a dog's ears have to stand up in the first place? I'm normally a very sane, calm, inner peace sort of person, but I couldn't help thinking how those two 'owners' would feel about having their own ears clipped back and then attached at a point to sticks.

Okay, I'm done.

B

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
they still clip tails and declaw animals, too. oh, and remove dogs' voiceboxes so they won't bark (too loudly, anyway).

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ear cropping is illegal here. Although I do know of some dogs who have been cropped illegally. Tail docking will also become illegal here (the legislation has been passed). Debarking is something not entered into frivolously and I have heard of instances where it was the only way to stop a dog from being put down. I don't agree with declawing or debarking but there are always exceptions to the rule (killer cats for example - I know of a cat who had a destruction order on her if she attacked one more person).

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Yeah but why "ears" for crying out loud, there just isn't any logic in doing that at all is there!!?....

As for tails, many dogs are bred with short stubby (or I guess stunted?) tails by nature of their breed, but dogs with long tails may actually want to keep there tails IF they are meant to have one!!

Pitbulls and suchlike don't have much of a tails but why mess with breeds of dogs that do possess a tail??? ...What silly

and bizarre reason would one have for clipping a tail, unless maybe it was an injured tail or diseased or something(?)...etc.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have been told that particular breeds are more prone to injuring their tails than others... like gundogs (spaniels, setters etc). I believe it's more an aesthetic thing... taildocking really doesn't bother me though if you compare it to say veal calves... LOL *puts on flamesuit*

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnaconda

Yeah but why "ears" for crying out loud, there just isn't any logic in doing that at all is there?
I'm not condoning it in anyway, but I think the ear clipping to make them stand on end has something to do with dog shows. Also the way some dogs have been bred means that their ears are prone to infection unless they 'air' them off - terriers ears for example often turn inside out - which is ok because it lets air in and its good for them.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
......And also some dog breeds or strains of breed, do have extra big ears, but so do elephants, does that mean we're gonna start pinning their ears back???
EEK!!!

An elephant has naturally big ears to aerate and stay cool I think, but in dogs its just mans perversity that has made them that way!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
We had our last dog, Thor's ears and tail docked. I had no say at the time, and he was a full-blooded pit bull. I thought it was customary for this to happen. It was awful, because he was a little old for this to be happening. When he woke up, he was freaked out and in pain. I felt so bad. I just sat in the bathroom floor with him.

Thor died at 8 in April of 2002. We won't talk about that now. We have a dog now who is about 1. I convinced my husband not to have his ears and tail docked. (I told him to ask Filo how he felt about it.) I'm so glad he agreed. His ears are adorable. I'll post links to pictures of them both later, if anyone is interested. Can't do it at work.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know someone who had a rottweiler puppy, but they got him too late to get his tail cropped. that tail was a lethal weapon. it was as big around as my forearm and super long, and always, ALWAYS wagging. the thing was a whip, it left some bruises on my legs. and he always knocked things off tables with it.

BUT i still don't think it's right to chop it off, so i was glad when they said they couldn't do it anymore because of his age.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The reason for cropping ears dates back to early times, when certain breeds of dogs were used to hunt or fight. For instance, Great Danes were used to hunt bear, and dangly ears were considered a liability and prone to injury in a fight, and could obstruct a dog's vision or otherwise distract them at a susceptible moment, as well as create needless "first aid" performed by the owner after the hunt.

Nowadays people crop the ears of certain breeds solely for aesthetic or show reasons.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ear cropping and tail docking is done now almost exclusively for aesthetic reasons.

The AKC still requires ear cropping and tail docking as part of the "breed standard" for show dogs. I think it's sick and wrong. The AKC is the only major (so I've heard) kennel club that still requires this practice. How can the most perfect representation of the breed possibly be an animal that has been drastically altered from it's natural form by humans?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i always wondered that. their idea of a well bred dog is one that was cosmetically altered??

hmm.

besides i think floppy ears are cute

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
This is Thor, who died in April 2002. He had his ears and tail docked.

This is Filo who is unaltered (well, except for the neutering). Not a great picture, and he's grown into his ears since then.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice looking dogs, Christy!

My daughter had a female brindle like the first one and she used to bring it over and leave it in our yard for weeks at a time
. Thankfully when her husband ran away screaming he took the dog with him . . . .

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Oh, Thor was the best dog ever. I miss him so much. He was protective, sweet, loved my cats, playful, laid back...just the best. He looked scary (but was really a big baby), which was a benefit when strangers saw him. Kind of a deterrent, I thought. I felt safe being home alone with him. OK, I'll shut up now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts